NStar

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
Mary Ann

NStar

Post by Mary Ann »

If I had known I would get recovered enough to play tuba again, never, ever would I have sold my NStar. It was the perfect tuba for me. I want another Norwegian Star. I do not want the Star Light, which I didn't like. Nobody has new ones in stock, and used ones are simply not out there.

Yadent

Re: NStar

Post by Yadent »

Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Odd that one appears to only have 4 valves. I’ve always wanted to try one of those the 5 valve one that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

One of my favorite tubas of all time. I still regret not buying Mary ann's when she put it up for sale
Yep, I'm Mark
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

I also regret not purchasing Mary Ann’s……
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Mary Ann wrote:If I had known I would get recovered enough to play tuba again, never, ever would I have sold my NStar. It was the perfect tuba for me. I want another Norwegian Star. I do not want the Star Light, which I didn't like. Nobody has new ones in stock, and used ones are simply not out there.
Can one be ordered? I bet they are now quite expensive.

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yeah...
If the NS is the larger of the two, I played one ONCE for about two minutes, and thought it to be quite good.

I'm thinking that I played it in Knoxville (??).
It belonged to a fellow forums member.
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

bloke wrote:yeah...
If the NS is the larger of the two, I played one ONCE for about two minutes, and thought it to be quite good.

I'm thinking that I played it in Knoxville (??).
It belonged to a fellow forums member.
The small one is the star light. I’ve not played either but always wanted to try one. I’d prefer the larger one I am sure.

bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Someone around here was selling one of the Norwegians last spring... Can't remember which, but think it was the smaller one, and about $7k.

I've never played either of them, but a 5-valve Eb sounds quite handy!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

When wessex attempted to make a rotary Eb, they copied a starlite that they owned, slapped a bigger bell on it closer to the size of a Norwegian star, and called it a day. What a waste, it failed miserably and Jonathan had no interest in revisiting the idea of a rotor Eb.

I play a Norwegian star ever chance I get at conventions, and I'm alway amazed at the tone, intonation, and how nimble it is in every register. I want one, but I cant justify one
Yep, I'm Mark
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

I own a Wessex Danube. It by no means plays anywhere akin to the Miraphone Eb rotarys. I bought it because it was the US lacquered demo horn and was cheap. It does have the smaller bell that was originally the first design. I utilize it for British brass and it does well. I did notice the Thomannmusic listed NS is the 283A which is Miraphone’s 4 valved Norwegian Star. I didn’t know it came as a 4 banger…..

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Since the Danube was based on a starlite, I could see it playing better with a small bell. The larger bell did some understandably odd things to the intonation
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I actually don't remember when I tried the Star Light, but it was clearly, for me, not what I wanted. If I had never played an Norwegian Star, I might have gone for the Light, but perhaps the Light is better for solos --- however I can't imagine the Star to be anything but wonderful in any circumstance.
Yes they are pricey. I'm now close to 12 years out of retirement, not getting any younger, and I have the vast majority of my 401k and my savings just sitting there, because I have pretty much managed to live on pension plus SS. To quote a friend of mine who bought a gold-plated trumpet at about my age, if not now, when? I can't take it with me, and while I will be eternally grateful to the person who made my current Eb available to me because I found out I can do this again --- it isn't an NStar, and dammit, I want an NStar. My friend who has the one that caused me to buy mine in the first place, discourages me from playing his because he knows what will happen if I do. :laugh:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LeMark wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:21 pm I want one, but I cant justify one

Yeah, the idea of dumping my main squeeze - my F tuba - to play that (regardless of how good one is) that just isn't going to happen. Everyone knows I have an E-flat tuba, and use it a lot, but I'm not dumping the F tuba for an E flat tuba. I dumped my C (which surprised a few people who know me, I suppose) but I'm not dumping my F... and to buy that model, that's what I would be doing.
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Mary Ann wrote:I actually don't remember when I tried the Star Light, but it was clearly, for me, not what I wanted. If I had never played an Norwegian Star, I might have gone for the Light, but perhaps the Light is better for solos --- however I can't imagine the Star to be anything but wonderful in any circumstance.
Yes they are pricey. I'm now close to 12 years out of retirement, not getting any younger, and I have the vast majority of my 401k and my savings just sitting there, because I have pretty much managed to live on pension plus SS. To quote a friend of mine who bought a gold-plated trumpet at about my age, if not now, when? I can't take it with me, and while I will be eternally grateful to the person who made my current Eb available to me because I found out I can do this again --- it isn't an NStar, and dammit, I want an NStar. My friend who has the one that caused me to buy mine in the first place, discourages me from playing his because he knows what will happen if I do. :laugh:
I guess I am going to be an enabler here then. Go for it! I would find a dealer you trust/ like and order one. I have a Willson Eb which is probably about the same cost to buy just sitting in my back room getting played only once in a while. I’ll never sell it because I bought it before China happened to the low brass world and I could afford it. Also though because I know I will play again.

Enjoy yourself and get what you want.

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Yeah I knew there would be enablers! Problem is --- I think I'm switching to oboe in the NHB, and frankly I am not making progress on the most difficult parts for the brass band, at least on this instrument. I get the fast parts working, sort of, and the next time I pick it up I'm at ground zero again. That isn't fun for me, and I'm in this for fun. I honestly don't know if it is a difference in tubas or a difference in my ability that is at fault, but I couldn't play that really fast stuff before, either. It wasn't needed in the community orchestra gigs (which were my favorite) and the brass band was in a different era of itself where basically nobody could play the fast parts. Now, the age of the group has "rolled over," including the conductor, and I'm now one of only three remaining original members, and we are all in our 70s and 80s. The band is now younger and more ambitious, and the other half of the story is maybe it's time to hang it up and do something less demanding.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Here’s a listing from a store in Latvia. It looks like it’s in stock and approximately $9750 seems like a reasonable price. “Es to nemsu,” is how to say, “I’ll take it,” in Latvian.

https://nartiss.lv/en/product/es-tuba-m ... r-eeb-283b
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Mary Ann wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:02 am Yeah I knew there would be enablers! Problem is --- I think I'm switching to oboe in the NHB, and frankly I am not making progress on the most difficult parts for the brass band, at least on this instrument. I get the fast parts working, sort of, and the next time I pick it up I'm at ground zero again. That isn't fun for me, and I'm in this for fun. I honestly don't know if it is a difference in tubas or a difference in my ability that is at fault, but I couldn't play that really fast stuff before, either. It wasn't needed in the community orchestra gigs (which were my favorite) and the brass band was in a different era of itself where basically nobody could play the fast parts. Now, the age of the group has "rolled over," including the conductor, and I'm now one of only three remaining original members, and we are all in our 70s and 80s. The band is now younger and more ambitious, and the other half of the story is maybe it's time to hang it up and do something less demanding.
That’s an interesting take on things and well worth bearing in mind; where might your future really lie. When folk think about Brass Bands they typically don’t think high ability musicians yet many are very able and arguably the skill level in the top class Bands has risen over time. The Brass Band movement as a whole has a very wide range of Band skill levels within it, some are very much community or casual level skill Bands and other Bands have folk in them who either could or do earn there living in music. Individual Bands can also change over time, the Band that I play in has stepped up a gear over the last five years or so; we’ve have some good people join us, etc., and that can make all the difference. I’m playing at a higher level than I used to (become less unskilled) and we’ve lost a few people who couldn’t make the step up. Unlike some Bands we don’t push weaker folk out and want them to stay, but if someone’s finding what was once fun is now either a chore or too hard then they typically drift away.

The Bass section is funny in that you’re either good enough or you’re not. The first Eb player is usually a bit better than the second but there’s not much in it. The BBb players typically have slightly easier music but BBb’s are harder to drive than Eb’s. Now the other sections allow a retirement option in that old solo cornet players retire to the second and third cornet parts, similarly for the horns. However, if you’re an older Tuba player in decline or stuff is getting harder in your Band then it’s a case of give up or move (to a less demanding) Band … not so nice but an inconvenient truth that will one day hit me too.

Brass Band Tuba music is typically easy yet sometimes we do get fast runs and demanding stuff, that’s so particularly so in the higher quality Bands who play harder pieces. You can need quick wits, strong fingers, strong chops and strong lungs. I know nothing of the North Star Tuba but if Brass Band playing is what you want to do and you want to make it as easy as possible for your self then I’d be looking towards a traditional three plus one compensating Tuba …. Doc has some experience in what plays well and costs can be relatively reasonable. Tubas suck the breath out of the player, if you can then play a small bore instrument and fit it with the lightest valve springs that will do the job.

I hope that my alternative view helps.
Last edited by 2nd tenor on Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:34 am, edited 6 times in total.
These users thanked the author 2nd tenor for the post:
Mary Ann (Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:57 pm)
jtm

Post by jtm »

I tried one at TMEA a few weeks ago -- amazing -- so somebody has them. I can justify one way less than Mark, so it didn't come home with me. Besides, my F is now good enough I can grow with it a while.

So, which of the 7 rotary F models that Miraphone sells now (maybe it's 4 models?) is the most like a Norwegian Star?
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
cjk (Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:56 am)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
matt g

Post by matt g »

Firebird?
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)