John Packer JP379F Piston F Tuba for Sale SOLD

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Andy Rummel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

John Packer JP379F Piston F Tuba for Sale SOLD

Post by Andy Rummel »

For sale is my wonderful Packer JP379F piston valve F tuba. Here are the specs from the Packer website:

https://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/pr ... iston-tuba

This is one of, if not the best, piston valved F tubas that I have ever played. The sound is full, pure and warm, the low register is resonant and easy, and the intonation is excellent. I used this instrument in brass quintet, solo recitals and with my orchestra with wonderful results in all situations. The horn is in great condition other than 2-3 small dings that I attempted to show in the photos. The tuba will come with the factory hard case which is essentially brand new. I can send pics of the case if interested.

I thought that this would be my forever F tuba, but I have developed a hand injury and need to move to rotary tubas exclusively. This is a wonderful instrument and it deserves a great home.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Price is $5700 OBO. Tuba is located in Bloomington/Normal, IL. I would be willing to drive a few hours to meet the buyer, otherwise shipping will be at the buyers expense. I may also be interested in a trade for a rotary F. Feel free to make an offer. PM if interested.

Andy Rummel
Last edited by Andy Rummel on Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lebari

Re: John Packer JP37F Piston F Tuba for Sale $5700 obo

Post by Lebari »

Hi Andy,
Sorry about your hand. I’m not after a front piston horn, but curious to know what problems you are having if you feel ok commenting up to you :)
I too thought I found my forever tuba but have unfortunately developed right hand problems in a short time playing front action Eb Gnagey although I’ve removed the thumb ring, I don’t see hand tendonitis resolving if I keep playing it.

I came across this article which has good info and tips:

https://www.hkb-interpretation.ch/filea ... ournal.pdf

Cheers, Lee
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: John Packer JP37F Piston F Tuba for Sale $5700 obo

Post by bloke »

My heart goes out to people who have hand injuries, because I have minor problems with one foot and one knee (which are quite distracting, even though nowhere near as important as hands) and could only imagine what it would be like to have problems with one of my hands. I treat my hands as if they are pliers and hammers, and don't deserve to have good hands. For whatever crazy reason, they're both still working as they should after all these years.

Those tubas are quality copies of 2250s, and I've sold several of them. The model number is actually with a nine in it: JP379F.
Andy Rummel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: John Packer JP379F Piston F Tuba for Sale $5700 obo

Post by Andy Rummel »

Thanks, Joe, that was a typo on my end. I fixed it. The tuba will be sold as of this weekend.

It is really a great horn and my plan was to keep it forever as I really loved it. However, two hand doctors later it has been determined that I have some pretty gross arthritis in the base of my thumb and some sort of issue with the tendon going up to my index finger. The doctor mentioned that I could have surgery to repair the arthritis but couldn't promise that it wouldn't affect my tuna playing. The switch to rotors is hopefully going to prolong that option for awhile. It won't magically get fixed but it is helping not to aggravate things further.

Thanks for the thoughts! I am not quite ready to hang things up yet!

Andy
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

A friend of mine had surgery on their thumb where it was attached at a different spot, to eliminate pain and to maintain functionality. I really don't understand it, but apparently it worked. They were having trouble obviously with the fifth valve. I'm pretty sure that they were hurting from the surgery for two or three months but eventually the surgery pain went away and their thumb worked fine. :smilie8:
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Hand problems suck. I have a health condition that has hand pain as a side effect. I had to switch from piston to rotor because pistons are impossible for me to play. I have now downsized to a Mirafone 184 because it has the shortest rotor throw I can get. I can't play on any rotor tuba that has an expanding bore like the B&S tubas either. I'm hoping the 184 will give me a few more years of enjoyment before my hand gives out completely. Good luck with the sale.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

bloke wrote:A friend of mine had surgery on their thumb where it was attached at a different spot, to eliminate pain and to maintain functionality. I really don't understand it, but apparently it worked. They were having trouble obviously with the fifth valve. I'm pretty sure that they were hurting from the surgery for two or three months but eventually the surgery pain went away and their thumb worked fine. :smilie8:
Thumb anchovy procedure. A co worker just had it done. I’ve had that pain before and it’s no fun. Mine is brought on from work strain and luckily it’s happening on my left hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Anchoring?
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

bloke wrote:Anchoring?
Yeah what my co worker had was called the anchovy thumb procedure. Weird. I don’t remember why the name but it’s a real name and he had the explanation why they called it what it is but I don’t remember the story. Not something I look forward to in my future. I’m left handed so makes sense my left hand is bad.

JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

bloke wrote:Anchoring?