Silver plating

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Silver plating

Post by bloke »

Doc wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:30 am
bloke wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:13 am probably (??), the cheapest way to get a fancy-yet-very-durable paint job would be to...

> do your OWN sanding off of the pebble finish...but you can't leave sandpaper scratches...as they might show...

> leave it with a friendly cooperative body shop, tell that that you're not really particular (regarding the specific color), but when they're painting some "hot" color one some car (ie. "Surprise me.") - and some mixed-up paint is left over - consider shooting it on your body and bell for an affordable-to-you amount.
Great idea.

Seems like a lot of dough, or not?
Conn Body and Bell
I probably have crap like that around here..."just because"...
' not particularly excited about selling (shipping nuisances, etc.)...
Mostly, I hold on to the BELLS, because those are what get FUBAR.

That body set on eBay might (??) be one of those King-in-disguise (so called) "Conn" sousaphones.

KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

joshealejo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:32 pm
KingTuba1241X wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:14 am
joshealejo wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:59 pm Thank you so much for the responses! It is more clear now!
I would ask again what horn you originally are wanting to do this with. Hopefully not a really expensive one! From my experiments all I can recommend is buying that same model horn in silver plate from whoever makes it instead of doing the refinish process yourself and getting conflicting data from a tuba board. I've refinished enough old horns to know you're getting into a mess especially from a beginner's standpoint, it will frustrate you and of course make a horn look really bad if you don't do it right. At the end of the day, horns resonate and play differently based on their metallurgy, construction, and finish. Some factors contribute more, some less. You must decide if the specific horn in question is worth it, and if it's a cheaper Chinese horn and money and time aren't a factor give it shot and learn how to refinish. Go bare brass and see if you like it, if not then get it plated silver.
Yes, It is not any of my main horns, for sure. But still a good quality one endeed. Sadly, where I am located is not that easy to find used (or new) tubas (and euphoniums) at all, even more difficult to find the exact model I own in silver plate. We have good food but not many tubas here :smilie7:

Jose
What country?
06' Miraphone 187-4U
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Peru
Doc

Post by Doc »

bloke wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:21 pm
I probably have crap like that around here..."just because"...
' not particularly excited about selling (shipping nuisances, etc.)...
Mostly, I hold on to the BELLS, because those are what get FUBAR.

That body set on eBay might (??) be one of those King-in-disguise (so called) "Conn" sousaphones.
I’ve never dealt with Taylor Music, so I have no idea how trustworthy their information would be.

Next time we pass your way, if you have something along those lines that you decide you wanna unload, we could simply haul it back with us.
I’ll keep looking around. If you see something somewhere else that qualifies, let me know. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:39 pmPeru
I looked at his profile and even browsed the introductions posts and didn't find that, how did you come up with that? Do you know him?
06' Miraphone 187-4U
hrender

Post by hrender »

Doc wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:03 pm I’ve never dealt with Taylor Music, so I have no idea how trustworthy their information would be.
I got the cases for my Martin Mammoth from Taylor and communicated a fair amount with the owner in the process. He seems to be a good guy. They post some interesting horns among their used offerings, and the prices seem fair. I believe they have more used horns in their warehouse, and that's what shows up occasionally on the fleabay page, e.g. this Blessing.
Doc

Post by Doc »

hrender wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:35 am
Doc wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:03 pm I’ve never dealt with Taylor Music, so I have no idea how trustworthy their information would be.
I got the cases for my Martin Mammoth from Taylor and communicated a fair amount with the owner in the process. He seems to be a good guy. They post some interesting horns among their used offerings, and the prices seem fair. I believe they have more used horns in their warehouse, and that's what shows up occasionally on the fleabay page, e.g. this Blessing.
Thanks for the info!
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
joshealejo

Post by joshealejo »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:41 pm
I looked at his profile and even browsed the introductions posts and didn't find that, how did you come up with that? Do you know him?
Indeed! I am from Peru and yes, Brett is a friend of mine :tuba: I got my first F tuba from him!

Jose
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

joshealejo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:56 am
Indeed! I am from Peru and yes, Brett is a friend of mine :tuba: I got my first F tuba from him!

Jose
Jose, did you realize that was 7 years ago?! Where does the time go. After Corona ends, I really have to travel to Peru. All of South America looks fantastic.
joshealejo

Post by joshealejo »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:10 pm
joshealejo wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:56 am

Jose
Jose, did you realize that was 7 years ago?! Where does the time go. After Corona ends, I really have to travel to Peru. All of South America looks fantastic.
Time flies! :bugeyes: BTW my offer is still there! Come and you will have a nice tour, good food OFC and many bears while a long talk :cheers:
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sat May 07, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sat May 07, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

peterbas

Post by peterbas »

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

demonstrating - in my behalf - that instrument resonance (loose screws, broken solder joints, worn rotors, hardened/compressed valve bumpers, overly-flat pancaked bells which begin to act like cymbals, etc.) is UNdesirable.
Thank-you.
peterbas wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:35 pm
bloke wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:56 pm Believe as you will... :smilie8:
Everyone nurses their own belief systems about most everything.
We live in a country that is so incredibly prosperous that many people are able to manage shelter, food, clothing, and luxuries, while embracing all sorts of misconceptions.
Someone who believes sideways theories about how they make their music - yet they make it quite well regardless of those misconceptions - is going to be asked by others to play music with them, and regardless of how they believe they are accomplishing it. :cheers:

...speaking of which...
Your bass and mine are of similar vintage. I believe my Jazz bass is a '73, and is black. Being black, it has a dark tone.
Of course the metal resonates, you can even feel it. My first slide vibrates so vigorously on some notes that it kind off hurts when I rest my fingernails against it.

You even said it yourself here
The plastic bell flare...I like that feature best, because it (again: not wishing for any of my tubas to be percussion instruments) completely eliminates the chance of that annoying sousaphone "after-ring" (which is never in the key of the music).
That afterring is the bell vibrating. On tubenet years ago there where people putting belts on the bell of the tuba to dampen that same ringing, the main problem being not harmonic to the note played like you said.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sat May 07, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sat May 07, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

boring and over-discussed

interesting to me:
me continuing to sound good without much effor, and being hired to do so. as (unlike repairing horns) I don't get dirty doing it and and (unlike selling things) people don't renege.