New tuba!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Sousaswag

New tuba!

Post by Sousaswag »

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share my new CC tuba with you! For those of you that came over from the other forum, this was listed for sale on there for a while. It's a Meinl Weston 5450 Thor, with the Accent engraving on the bell. If I'm not mistaken, Mark knows this horn pretty well.

If you want to know a little bit of history about the tuba, here you go- It was originally made for Nat McIntosh of the Youngblood Brass Band, but he sold it because it's super heavy and he didn't want to carry it around stage. So, he sold it to Jason Wallace who I believe is the princpal tuba of the Dallas Winds. He then sold it to it's previous owner, who sold it to me. The Accent engraving is there because Youngblood was sponsored by Accent at the time this horn was made.

As far as general characteristics go, I've only had it for a few days since I am in IL and the horn was from TX. I just got it here two days ago. Now, coming from a Miraphone 1293, I knew this horn was going to be bigger, but it still amazes me how much bigger it is. The whole reason I sold my 1293 was because I'm 6'3 with a really long torso and just needed a physically taller instrument. My 1293 was no slouch by any stretch. In my opinion, it was one of the best CC tubas I've played. But this tuba is in a whole different league. I don't know if it's because I just bought it or what, but the response on this Thor is so even, I find slurs between registers to be much easier than on my 1293, and the low range seems to be about the same, maybe a little easier on this new horn. Intonation seems excellent. I mention below the slides might need a bit of work, but I'm also not sure I really need to use them!

The previous owner really took care of this horn. Because of the whole pandemic issue, I planned on cleaning the inside of the horn to the best of my ability. But when I got it into the tub after painstakingly getting all the slides and 5th valve unstuck and moving, the inside of this horn is immaculate. I mean, there's not a spot of corrosion that I can see. I don't think the horn has been played in months, or maybe a year. Those slides were STUCK! But also clean! There are a few pings here and there, and one of the 4th valve slide braces is pushed in a bit, (which I'll probably end up getting fixed in the future) but overall the tuba is in great shape. The slides might need a bit of TLC, none of them are moving particularly well, but maybe that's just because they need a break in period after not being moved for so long.

There are a few things I'd like to have done to this tuba in the future. First, I'd like to get the slides moving a bit better. I said that I probably won't use them too often, but I'd like to be able to adjust without having to use Herculean strength to get 3 and 4 moving. Second, I'm going to have the valves vented. My 1293 had all 4 vented and I really liked that. Third, at some point in the FAR future I'd like to test out MAW valves. Honestly I'm not sure this horn really needs them, but I have some friends who do have MAWS (Pt-606p and MW 3225) who say they make a big difference. Who knows. I'd like to give them a shot. And finally, I wouldn't mind picking up some MAW or Sellmansberger finger buttons. I just like the look of them! However, right now I'm VERY happy with this tuba!

Here are a few pictures I took on day 1 of having the tuba in person. Thanks for reading my ramble!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
Three Valves

Re: New tuba!

Post by Three Valves »

:drool:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Years ago, I tried a Thor, PT-6P, and Tuono side by side. I was amazed at how similarly they all played and sounded.

All high end tubas, all brand new and perfectly aligned... And played like a dream.

I think tuba design and tuba maintenance/condition both go hand in hand for "easy."
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Also, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

:smilie7:
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Oh yes, I know that horn very well!

Alex's parents bought that horn for him at the end of his freshman year, and the next year he made Texas all state. Most of the schools around here used miraphone 186 tubas at the time, so to play an audition with something that sounded like that (and have a great player driving it) was instant all state. He made it the next year as well, but his senior year he was drum major, and the music that year didn't play to his strengths, so he barely missed out. By the time he graduated, he had started an arma escalation in the area, because every student who wanted to make all state thought the way to do so was to go out and buy a $10k tuba

Anyway, he went off to college and didn't major in music, I had hoped he would find the time to play more, but hopefully he will find a reason someday to invest in a less expensive horn someday, he was a fabulous student, a great player, and a really nice guy.

Congrats on the tuba! It's a great horn with a unique background story. How did you two hook up? I put a post on TubeNet, but it was purged in the great fiasco a. Month ago.
Yep, I'm Mark
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Very nice. Congrats.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
jtm

Post by jtm »

LeMark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:32 am ... By the time he graduated, he had started an arms escalation in the area, because every student who wanted to make all state thought the way to do so was to go out and buy a $10k tuba ...
Isn't a new 186 also a $10k tuba (roughly)?
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

For $10k, that an "arm and a leg" race
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

jtm wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:02 am
LeMark wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:32 am ... By the time he graduated, he had started an arms escalation in the area, because every student who wanted to make all state thought the way to do so was to go out and buy a $10k tuba ...
Isn't a new 186 also a $10k tuba (roughly)?

Maybe now, wasn't back then. Also, Alex didn't pay 10k, but even back then it would have cost 13k to get a new one with the nice gig bag and flight case.
Yep, I'm Mark
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Thanks, everyone!

Mark, I just messaged Alex through TubeNet and then we communicated through email. A close friend picked the tuba up and drove it all the way to Illinois from Texas. Not a lot of people are willing to do something like that!
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

Very nice. Congratulations.
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

That is a beautiful horn! Nothing beats the excitement of a brand new or new to you tuba. Enjoy it! :tuba: :thumbsup:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)