Ideal mouthpiece distance to reciever

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Miradave
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ideal mouthpiece distance to reciever

Post by Miradave »

Hi I was wondering the best distance the mouthpiece should be in the reciever example 1/4 inch from throat to beginning of reciever?

ParLawGod
Site Admin

Re: Ideal mouthpiece distance to reciever

Post by ParLawGod »

Welcome! Glad to have you here at TF :cheers:

(Topic moved to Music Chatter forum)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I have more opportunities to screw around with this than most people, and this is probably one of the last details that makes the least amount of difference, but yet it does make some difference. The problem is that the ideal depends on the player mostly, but also depends on the mouthpiece cup shape, throat size, and the small end diameter of the mouthpipe tube. It probably depends on a whole bunch of other stuff too.
It's so particulars-oriented that it's really too difficult to quantify.
Wrapping a shank with strips of paper can be instructive. About the only thing that I would probably be willing to stick my neck out and say definitively is that when the mouthpiece extends past the choke point barely into the mouthpipe tube, that's not when the best results are obtained.
Miradave
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Miradave »

I have an adjustable gap reciever on my tuba, and some of my mouthpieces "sit" further in the lead pipe than others,was curious if there was a ideal placement to screw out or in the gap reciever to get the best response
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

I have a Eb tuba that I play and mostly use the Sellmansberger imperial mouthpiece for everything. I also have a couple vintage instruments I also use this mouthpiece with. Because my modern tuba is a euro receiver and the older stuff are both different sizes. I own all available shank sizes for this mouthpiece.

This was suggested to me but I tried it and it was an improvement. Using the shank that’s in between a euro and American size really seemed to open the low register. The in between size probably fits in an extra quarter inch or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk