Manhasset Stand Review

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Paulver

Re: Manhasset Stand Review

Post by Paulver »

Nope!!

tokuno

Post by tokuno »

Mary Ann wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:08 am This is the way of things now. Everything is being "flimsy-fied" in one way or another. The deadly sin I see in action is Greed.

I put on a pair of corduroy slacks I've had for probably 20 years. The corduroy in them is at least three times as thick as the "corduroy" in new slacks I can buy now. Same with ALL clothing I see for sale. Pretty soon the "cloth" it is made of will be so thin it is transparent.

I just bought an "antique" egg slicer off of Etsy because new ones don't last more than a week before the wires let go. This one is from the 1960s, did not cost any more than a new one, and its 1960 wires are still intact. It works fine.

I also bought a single-burner "antique" Coleman propane stove for the same reason - the new ones are crap and this one is perfect.

etc.

Get your Manhassets at thrift stores. They show up every now and then.
A decade or so ago, my comfy-as-bedroom-slipper Cole Haan's gave up the ghost after innumerable re-soles, so I picked up another pair - made in India, horrible quality; the leather quickly started to tear.

Same with my old Vasque hiking boots. A bit long in the tooth, so I considered replacing instead of re-soling, but the quality of new has dropped off a cliff - they're made in China now. I'm keeping the old pair.

Couldn't find an acceptable quality Yankee push drill on the shelves, but bought a high-quality old one on eBay.
These users thanked the author tokuno for the post:
Mary Ann (Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:52 pm)
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

tokuno wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:04 pm
the elephant wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:10 pm
tokuno wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:39 am Tusky, that’s a portable?
Are they making the decks out of steel now?
All of mine (portable and non) have aluminum decks, and I wouldn’t mind a ferrous deck. . .
I have never seen an aluminum Manhasset Symphony or Orchestra model stand. They have been stamped steel since Moses was knee-high to a cat. Are we talking about the same stand?

Manhasset model 48 "Symphony" stand…
We've got seven of the 48s, and I assumed the decks are aluminum, because magnets don't work on any of mine (or the school's Manhasset decks). My Voyager's deck is non-ferrous, too. The bases & uprights are ferrous steel, but other than for a magnetic pencil holder, doesn't do me much good.
My Hamilton portable is heavy & with fixed deck angle, but I can use magnets (prefer 'em to clothespins in the wind).
Do your Manhasset decks take magnets?
I checked, and YOU ARE CORRECT. I found online that the desks are made of aluminum.

You learn something new every day…
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

tokuno wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:21 pm
A decade or so ago, my comfy-as-bedroom-slipper Cole Haan's gave up the ghost after innumerable re-soles, so I picked up another pair - made in India, horrible quality; the leather quickly started to tear.
I get Allen Edmonds because they're made in the US. Quality is lower than it was 20 years ago, but still massively higher than most department store brands. Of course, they're more expensive, but last decades when cared for, and you can find lightly used ones on ebay for $20-100, depending on the style.

Oh, and incredibly comfortable.
tokuno wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:21 pm Same with my old Vasque hiking boots. A bit long in the tooth, so I considered replacing instead of re-soling, but the quality of new has dropped off a cliff - they're made in China now. I'm keeping the old pair.
Jim Green has awesome quality hiking boots for about $150, and every time they sell x pairs, they donate one pair to African rangers who protect wildlife from poachers and can't afford shoes.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
BopEuph (Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:05 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I think Wade's point is the most valid, and that there's no way to know anymore which products are made well and which ones aren't. Everything is now a wild card. Brand names are just names. As we know from history, even airliners are built with corners cut, and known problems ignored.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:55 am) • BopEuph (Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:18 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Speaking of airlines, there is incompetence combined with lack of personal responsibility. 2018, not very long ago. Commercial pilots took a plane on a planned route after substantial maintenance, and mechanical connections (cables) to the ailerons had been done backwards; the plane kept doing the opposite of what they asked it to and fighting itself, nearly resulting in a complete disaster.

Whoever was supposed to catch this type of error, didn't, apparently even though there were obvious warnings something was wrong (for once the software was not at fault.)

Story at the bottom of this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Astana_Flight_1388
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:43 am Speaking of airlines, there is incompetence combined with lack of personal responsibility. 2018, not very long ago. Commercial pilots took a plane on a planned route after substantial maintenance, and mechanical connections (cables) to the ailerons had been done backwards; the plane kept doing the opposite of what they asked it to and fighting itself, nearly resulting in a complete disaster.

Whoever was supposed to catch this type of error, didn't, apparently even though there were obvious warnings something was wrong (for once the software was not at fault.)

Story at the bottom of this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Astana_Flight_1388
...an example of one of the reasons I eschew the term/nomer "tech" or "technician".