RIP Roger Bobo

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: RIP Roger Bobo

Post by Rick Denney »

The last time I saw him was when he came to the Army conference--I just looked at it was in January of 2000--longer ago than I thought. He and Ken Sloan converged on the Gent's at Brucker Hall at the same time, and Ken, in anticipation and as a joke, had prepared a "TubaEuph" name tag for him. We wore those name tags because we only knew each other from the mail list or the forum, but surely they identified us as impossible geeks more than anything else. He whipped out the tag for Roger from his shirt pocket and handed it to him. Mr. Bobo proudly wore that tag the whole conference. Even then, he was mostly retired from performing on tuba and was there to lead a master class.

Wade, who made that video? Very nicely done.

Rick "missing the Army conferences of old that brought in such greats" Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post (total 2):
bloke (Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:57 am) • Steve Oberheu (Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:29 pm)

hrender

Post by hrender »

Rick Denney wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:47 am Wade, who made that video? Very nicely done.
Video edited by: Steve Oberheu
Steve Oberheu

Post by Steve Oberheu »

hrender wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:08 pm
Rick Denney wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:47 am Wade, who made that video? Very nicely done.
Video edited by: Steve Oberheu
Thanks for the kind comment Rick! I put that video together while I was working on Roger's biography. Here's another one I put together around the same time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8X4Fq-vCg4
pjv

Post by pjv »

Really nice to hear this again. I appreciate the composition much more than I did back then. Then again, I was only 16 at the time!

And the peacock!!! I remember that.
Thanks
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

It makes me sad that I came so late to the tuba, because I missed a lot of the greats "in person." But the recoding Wade put up is spectacular for more than one reason -- the fact that it was not "massaged" in the way later commercial recordings are. What you hear is what he did, and it is just fantastic.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
prairieboy1 (Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:34 pm)