Old king tuba hard case?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Grumpikins

Old king tuba hard case?

Post by Grumpikins »

So my old king tuba is a non-detatchable recording bell model, 1936. Im curious if they ever made hard cases for these. The catalogue just mentions cases for the detatchable bell models. It would be a monster of a case so i suspect that they didnt make them.

Does anybody here know more about it?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
hrender

Re: Old king tuba hard case?

Post by hrender »

I’ve seen pics of the horns with their original cases. Lee Stofer had one in his shop for a while if I recall correctly. I owned one of the horns myself (1927 vintage) for about 10 years, and I tried to find one of the cases, but I was never successful.

Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

My horn is the BBb model. Isnt the Eb model smaller....

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Lee Stofer had a BBb fixed bell that looked like it was new old stock never ever played with original case literally like brand new 4 valves. I think he sold it before it ever even made his web site. There was a case with it. I doubt one would ever be found unless you found out who bought that from him and tried to get a copy of it made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it, and I believe I've seen some old one-piece cases which accommodated curved bells. Sadly, I would have to believe that even a well-preserved one has become fragile - simply from age, and probably wouldn't hold up very well even with somewhat careful use, and even if one were somehow miraculously located.
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

bloke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:44 am I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it, and I believe I've seen some old one-piece cases which accommodated curved bells. Sadly, I would have to believe that even a well-preserved one has become fragile - simply from age, and probably wouldn't hold up very well even with somewhat careful use, and even if one were somehow miraculously located.
Having carried a Conn bell front baritone in a Conn case, I can imagine one sized for a BBb bell front tuba would be huge. In the 7th grade, I tried to strap one on the back of my bike to take it home to practice. Couldn't do it. Lucky for me, there were some baritones with detachable bells that were turned sideways to put it in a case. I was able to strap one of those on to my bike and, once it got home, it stayed there until the end of the year.
These users thanked the author The Big Ben for the post:
bloke (Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:14 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

WARNING: mostly a redundant post...

Some Australian made (incredibly well-made, btw) cases with contoured/curved wood parts were purchased and supplied by Miraphone in the 1970's.
(These were for straight-bell tubas, but were very close-fitting and elegant.)

Many of those cases are still holding together, but (and I don't recall them being built as well) old curved-sides/curved-parts wood tuba cases from 80 to 90 years ago (again) have probably become both brittle and un-glued.
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

bloke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:17 pm WARNING: mostly a redundant post...

Some Australian made (incredibly well-made, btw) cases with contoured/curved wood parts were purchased and supplied by Miraphone in the 1970's.
(These were for straight-bell tubas, but were very close-fitting and elegant.)

Many of those cases are still holding together, but (and I don't recall them being built as well) old curved-sides/curved-parts wood tuba cases from 80 to 90 years ago (again) have probably become both brittle and un-glued.
I believe I have one of those which came with a 60s vintage 186 BBb I bought. It was/is worn out but, when I looked at the price of a new hard case, I started piecing it back together with glue, screws and wood. I'm going to put fiberglass roving with epoxy on the outside. It has been a lot of work but kind of fun. I'm not going hog wild because I don't want to make it too heavy. Wheels are going on one end. BTW: It still has its "Mirafone" badge and I'm putting it on the finished product.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I was just curious. I currently use a "Gig bag" that my mom made for it when i bought it. She was pretty good at sewing. I mean, almost 30 years and it still does the job well enough. Thinking of finding a different option in the next few years. Its getting worn out. Thanks folks.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

still off-topic:
(1970's Australia-made wood tuba cases)
Even the sides were curved, and the tolex (black covering) was much more durable/tear-resistant than typical tolex...more the quality of the tolex over a nice guitar amplifier.