Mack Brass replacement Yamaha bell question

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
arpthark

Mack Brass replacement Yamaha bell question

Post by arpthark »

I have emailed Tom a few times about this, but haven't received a response. Maybe someone here knows:

Does anyone know if the Mack 16" replacement Yamaha bells come in lacquer/raw brass, or are they just available in silverplate?

Thanks!

Blake

Blake
bone-a-phone

Re: Mack Brass replacement Yamaha bell question

Post by bone-a-phone »

I don't want to speak for him, but he's been reluctant to source spare parts for anything but Macks.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bone-a-phone wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:31 am I don't want to speak for him, but he's been reluctant to source spare parts for anything but Macks.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense.
Blake
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

bone-a-phone wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:31 am I don't want to speak for him, but he's been reluctant to source spare parts for anything but Macks.
Unless he personally tells you otherwise, the link below to the Mack website says that he does and Yamaha users like the change:

https://mackbrass.com/replacement-tuba-bells

I would suggest calling him on the telephone. I don't know about their e-mail habits but people tend to answer telephones when they ring. YMMV
These users thanked the author The Big Ben for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:35 pm)
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

A Eb York bell will fit on it.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

Silver only. At least when I got mine
These users thanked the author MikeMason for the post:
arpthark (Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:53 pm)
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

It's been my experience that he's reluctant to source spare parts for Macks, too.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Anderson will strip silver, and the result is a matte type of finish that's pretty easy to buff out to a gloss brass surface for lacquering.

If York (Monster?) bells fit into 621 bottom bows, do Olds 99/Reynolds 10 bells - as well as Bach 869 bells - also fit?
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Stealing the thread. I don't get this "put any old bell that fits on a tuba" thing.
With horns, the bell's tapers are EXTREMELY important to how the notes slot. But it seems with tubas any old bell will work. I don't get it. The radical difference I got from changing my original gold brass Schmid bell to a Lawson ambronze bell taught me that "a bell is not just a bell, and it's not just the metal that matters."
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

French horn bells are smaller bore (in relation to the rest of an instrument) and also a larger percentage of an instrument.

Tuba bells represent a smaller percentage of the lengths of tubas, and (regardless as to whether "small" vs. "small with a little bit larger bell throat" ~OR~ "huge" vs. "huge with a little bit smaller bell throat") they mostly act as amplifiers, and swapping them out doesn't really seem to have all that much of an effect on intonation characteristics (or even - all that much - on response). Mostly, they seem to have just about the same type of effect as "swapping out compatible-but-different speakers in bass amplifiers".

As MiraFone tubas - in the distant past - were exclusively distributed in the US out of California...and F. E. Olds and Son was manufactured in California, California tuba professionals naturally decided to experiment with sticking Olds O-99 bells into model 184 bottom bows (as the natural resonance of a model 184 - particular from that era) was/is pretty "brash".

When repairing 184 tubas, I've had Olds/Reynolds/certain-years-Conn (all the same from Fullerton, CA) bells sitting around here, and (sure) I've stuck those bells in 184 tubas and given them a blow. They play "just fine" - sound less "brash", and the intonation (far from perfect, as known) is the same.
I've never SOLD a 184 set up like that, because (why?) and (anyway) frankentubas don't bring as much dough as nice-condition factory-original models.

I have no doubt that the slightly larger Chinese bells work just fine on 621's and 621 knock-offs, that some people might like the sonority better, and that they might even sound more like the (rarely encountered) 821 model...but (as a used-tuba-buyer-and-flipper) I wouldn't buy one of those (for re-sale) unless the oem bell was also included. I also don't buy used tubas which feature "un-lacquered" bells (yet factory-lacquered everything else), as - the vast majority of the time - that is an indication of some past really bad bell damage - and who knows (??) if someone took sandpaper (or even a friggin' FILE) to that bell prior to then buffing the $h!t out of it. 😐