Case ideas?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Pat S

Case ideas?

Post by Pat S »

I just took the plunge on a Mack Brass TU421S, Yamaha YCB621 clone. The case is a generic cheap Chinese case that is unlikely to stand up to the rigors of hauling the horn around. Anyone else using 3/4 size Yamaha/clone tubas that has some experience with available cases?

PS: Early impressions with the horn are good. Cap threading is good, intonation is good (though I'd love for it to play a bit sharper to give me some slide adjustment room), appearance is OK from about 10 feet. I do like the sound of the horn and think it'll work well in chamber groups... and I love the ergonomics/light weight of the instrument! Kudos to Tom McGrady for making the buying experience very pleasant.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Case ideas?

Post by bloke »

Cases have been scarce, because the city in China with all of the case factories (for all of the various makes) was one of those cities that was completely shut down.

That having been said...
When cases flow again, there's a very sturdy Yamaha 3/4-size case that JP makes for the 179B (which is their not-a-copy-but-similar-to a YBB-621 (FRONT-action, and same "footprint as a YFB-621). I have one in storage, but (and I'll have to check) it may (instead) be a TOP-action oriented case (for the JP-078, which is a super-nice/super-well-made copy of the YBB-105).

This is thick plastic/molded with latches...one of those cases that some mistake for fiberglass.

This is the model JP078 (TOP-action) version:
https://cdn.jpmusicalinstruments.com/up ... 2169984000
I was unable to find a picture of the JP179B (FRONT-action) version...
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:52 am
When cases flow again, there's a very sturdy Yamaha 3/4-size case that JP makes for the 179B (which is their not-a-copy-but-similar-to a YBB-621 (FRONT-action, and same "footprint as a YFB-621). I have one in storage, but (and I'll have to check) it may (instead) be a TOP-action oriented case (for the JP-078, which is a super-nice/super-well-made copy of the YBB-105).

This is thick plastic/molded with latches...one of those cases that some mistake for fiberglass.
I would be interested in something like this for my YFB-621 copy when it comes in, if it'll fit. Can take measurements when the time comes. The fifth valve circuit jutting out over the top bow would probably be an issue, though.

I actually like the old brown outside/blue faux velvet interior Yamaha cases, for whatever reason.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm pretty sure the case could easily be adapted to fit...
You could either do a little slicing/dicing, a bit of mashing (into the styrofoam under the upholstery, or remove/store the 5th slide (whichever would work out best).
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

YorkNumber3 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:04 amMTS 1205V.
more expensive than JP, but probably weighs less.

JP (if ordered before price increase, but probably not in stock at the warehouse, right now) would probably only be about $400 - shipped to your local freight dock.
Last edited by bloke on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Brute Squad
Has thanked: 0

Post by The Brute Squad »

Pat S wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:25 pm The case is a generic cheap Chinese case that is unlikely to stand up to the rigors of hauling the horn around.
One of the backpack strap D rings on mine broke after only a couple times using it, so definitely unlikely.

Any thoughts from folks on the soft case/gig bag side? I think that's where I'm leaning if/when I replace that case.
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Symphony cup and shank)
Breavdah

Post by Breavdah »

Or go nude. The tuba alone is much easier to handle than the tuba in case. Lighter, smaller, better grip in more places. You'll never damage it just carrying it under your arm. You can put a towel over it in the backseat and buckle it in. You would need the hard case however if you ever have to put in in a tour bus bay, and probably several other rare occasions.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Breavdah wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:19 am Or go nude. The tuba alone is much easier to handle than the tuba in case. Lighter, smaller, better grip in more places. You'll never damage it just carrying it under your arm. You can put a towel over it in the backseat and buckle it in. You would need the hard case however if you ever have to put in in a tour bus bay, and probably several other rare occasions.
I was doing this once when I was approximately 17 and fell down a flight of stairs with the tuba, so of course be careful!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Prior to the days when people posted on Facebook and TubaForum - while driving 70 miles an hour down back roads on the way to rehearsals :eyes: , I would wrap my tuba in a quilt and carried it ( just to clarify: without the quilt) up the steps to the stage door on my shoulder.
Pat S

Post by Pat S »

Actually, my wife quilts, so the idea of a "Tuba Quilt" is promising.

Thanks for the case ideas!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Pat S wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:15 pm Actually, my wife quilts, so the idea of a "Tuba Quilt" is promising.

Thanks for the case ideas!
And seat belt it in