NStar

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
cjk

Re: NStar

Post by cjk »

one of these for sale on Facebook in Indiana. well that link didn't work.

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Word from dealers is that they don't sell and in order to get one it would have to be ordered (pay ahead) and at least 90 days manufacture etc. Seems like a no-go. If I hadn't already played a Lite and not liked it, I would have been tempted, because there are some out there, and probably it would play a lot easier than what I have, but --- I didn't like it much. VERY "light." What I have sounds like a tuba.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I live in the middle of nowhere, so I have to go to look places - IF I wish to look at stuff before I buy it.

I'm thinking that Ms. M.A. lives a bit more in the middle of nowhere, and is not quite as able to jump in a vehicle and make any sort of long-@$$ drive off to who-knows-where - to look at stuff before she buys it.
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

From the Facebook ad:
Paul Mullen
2 d ·
I’m looking to sell my Miraphone Eb tuba. It plays easily in all registers and has a vibrant, clear sound. It’s light and nimble enough for solo playing, but can also generate enough sound to sit well in large ensembles. I’ve used it in wind bands since 2014. Intonation is great and I’ve only had to use an alternate fingering for 4th space G in slower passages.
The valves are in great shape and have new bumpers. All slides move easily.
Cosmetically, it’s mostly intact. Inside the bell there’s a spot of patched lacquer, and there’s a nearly invisible mark where a crease had to be rolled out. There is also a dent on the upper branch. You can see these in the pictures.
A Gard gig bag is included. I’ll throw in the Hetman rotor oil I’ve used on it as well.
I would be happy to drive a reasonable distance from western Indiana to meet you to deliver the horn. This would be my preference. I will consider shipping within the US but packing and shipping costs are the responsibility of the buyer.
I will also consider a trade. I am looking for a piston horn with an angled valve block like you would find on a Yamaha 822 or a King 2341. I need this for ergonomic reasons. I cannot play vertical valve sets anymore such as what is on Meinl Weston piston horns or most rotary tubas. I will consider all keys of tuba. $7500. Lafayette, IN
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I'm talking to these guys: https://www.thomannmusic.com/miraphone_ ... m?reload=1

It's a four valve; however -- my current 183 has such a good false tone on the Ab in the lowest register that I really do not need a fifth valve. I don't think the previous owner used it, but I have found it opens up that lowest octave and is quite useful for my purposes.

In today's dollars, the price the owner of my previous NStar wants to sell it back to me, is $1500 more than I sold it to him for. I'm having a great deal of trouble with paying him $1500 more for a tuba that is four years older than when I sold it to him, and not sure I can make myself do that psychologically. Tonight I will have a toot on the NStar my friend owns that was behind my purchase of one, and see if it is enough better to cause me to think that $1500 increase in price is worth it. I know what one dealer on here thinks of that situation but not what others think. I know it's a case of "if you want it badly enough you'll pay my price," and that is making me intensely uncomfortable -- that someone I basically gave a bargain to is turning around with a screwdriver. New ones aren't available because nobody wants them enough for dealers to keep them in stock.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Not knowing the asking price of your old one really kinda makes determining if the extra $1500 is reasonable or not quite impossible.

The 4 valve one from Thomann will surely cost more for tax and shipping. Then you have a 4v noncompensating Eb tuba. who wants that?

if you consider adding a 5th valve, then you're in it over 10 grand.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

What I have found is the F tubas simply are not Eb tubas. Eb truly is "between" the F and the CC. I've had Fs, play tested Fs including the Firebird, and they are not like Eb tubas. I won't ever buy an F again, because that isn't what I want.

if you think brass bands sound amateur, listen to the Houston one. That is NOT a "community level band."
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

In my experience, Thomann will not ship tubas to the US. I asked last summer. The policy may have changed.
Blake
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

I think the person who wants to hose you for an extra 1500 has more nerve than a bum tooth.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Mary Ann wrote:What I have found is the F tubas simply are not Eb tubas. Eb truly is "between" the F and the CC. I've had Fs, play tested Fs including the Firebird, and they are not like Eb tubas. I won't ever buy an F again, because that isn't what I want.

if you think brass bands sound amateur, listen to the Houston one. That is NOT a "community level band."
Yes I agree or give Fountain city from Kansas a listen, the Chicago Brass Band, the Central Florida brass band. Just to make a few of the groups I know who has a large number or the 30 musicians who are playing at a very professional level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

DonO. wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:40 pm I think the person who wants to hose you for an extra 1500 has more nerve than a bum tooth.

I don't know.... When I bought my adams euphonium, I paid $7k, but the buyer bought it new for 9-10k. Now that same model would sell for $12k if someone custom ordered it. If I sold it back to the person who sold it to me (and yes, he wants it back) would I be obligated to sell it to him for what I paid, even if was $5k less than new?
Yep, I'm Mark
matt g

Post by matt g »

Inflation is a thing.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

matt g wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:16 pm Inflation is a thing.
I've tried my absolute hardest, and have never been able to inflate a tuba. I just get lightheaded and dizzy.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
jtm (Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bort2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:29 pm
matt g wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:16 pm Inflation is a thing.
I've tried my absolute hardest, and have never been able to inflate a tuba. I just get lightheaded and dizzy.
Hey, save that monkey business for the dad joke thread!
Blake
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

@arpthark ...okay, fine, fine...!

@Mary Ann, I must have missed the explanation of how this all came to be, but good for you! I hope it's even better than you remembered. Be sure to post pics. :tuba:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
Mary Ann (Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:25 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

It is now back here, and badly in need of a polishing. I'll get to it. The Joy key went unused for four years and I have to figure out how to clean that and get it working again. Pulling the slide to dump over and over is not an option for me.
We played some duets, and I had horn fingerings in my head and hit quite a few wrong notes. F above the staff is still easy on that instrument.
So once I got it polished up I'll get a new avatar picture.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 3):
MN_TimTuba (Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:29 pm) • cjk (Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:44 pm) • jtm (Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:59 am)
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

Mary Ann wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:46 pm It is now back here, and badly in need of a polishing. I'll get to it. The Joy key went unused for four years and I have to figure out how to clean that and get it working again. Pulling the slide to dump over and over is not an option for me.
We played some duets, and I had horn fingerings in my head and hit quite a few wrong notes. F above the staff is still easy on that instrument.
So once I got it polished up I'll get a new avatar picture.
Looks really great!

The Miraphone Ebs are very pretty.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

That's the old avatar picture, before I sold it. Many parts of it are still just black now.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:06 pm)
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Mary Ann wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:16 am I'm talking to these guys: https://www.thomannmusic.com/miraphone_ ... m?reload=1

It's a four valve; however -- my current 183 has such a good false tone on the Ab in the lowest register that I really do not need a fifth valve. I don't think the previous owner used it, but I have found it opens up that lowest octave and is quite useful for my purposes.

In today's dollars, the price the owner of my previous NStar wants to sell it back to me, is $1500 more than I sold it to him for. I'm having a great deal of trouble with paying him $1500 more for a tuba that is four years older than when I sold it to him, and not sure I can make myself do that psychologically. Tonight I will have a toot on the NStar my friend owns that was behind my purchase of one, and see if it is enough better to cause me to think that $1500 increase in price is worth it. I know what one dealer on here thinks of that situation but not what others think. I know it's a case of "if you want it badly enough you'll pay my price," and that is making me intensely uncomfortable -- that someone I basically gave a bargain to is turning around with a screwdriver. New ones aren't available because nobody wants them enough for dealers to keep them in stock.
The rights and wrongs of price are beyond me. Maybe the old owner felt that he took a chance on purchasing a rare tuba and getting some extra on resale was his reward. If someone wants to sell and you’re the only buyer then you can name your price and vice versa. Maybe it was a reluctant sale and the owner felt that they would struggle to find a replacement.

Whatever, I’m glad that MA was able to buy an instrument that she likes and wish her well with it.