GPS tuba tracker - revisited

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

GPS tuba tracker - revisited

Post by bloke »

1/ How many tubas do NOT have bottom bow depressions (aka "DENTS") larger than one of those little devices? (if none NOW, surely SOON)

2/ Why not fashion a rod that can hold it and set it down "just around the bend" in a tuba's bottom bow?

3/ Stick it down with contact cement (aka "cork cement" aka "rubber cement") so that it can be reached and "raked" back out of there when the battery poops out.

4/ ..."affect the sound"...??
dp wrote:pfft
bloke "Mine don't have any dents as large as those little bean-things, but I'd probably still do this."

Grumpikins

Re: GPS tuba tracker - revisited

Post by Grumpikins »

With all the theft that has been going on in recent years... it seems that it would be un-wise to not utilize this technology... um. And im also guilty of not doing this... yet. Its an extremely good idea.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

Even a tracker strategically placed in a secret pouch inside a gig bag would be better than nothing. Or...could one take the batteries out of a Korg tuner and find something small enough that fits in there? I doubt a thief would check there.

Great topic!
These users thanked the author ParLawGod for the post:
Mary Ann (Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:56 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

That is a grand idea. While they were still running off with it and hadn't yet "parted it out to sell the easy stuff" maybe it could be found. Here, it is only an hour to the border and many things are across that border before the owner even knows they are gone.
Tubeast

Post by Tubeast »

Super-heavy-LOOKING valve caps with interesting stuffing come to my mind.
Won´t even look suspicious on a trumpet...

Or maybe that ultra-fancy big fat mouthpiece a.k.a door stop offers some space within it.
Better still: many tubists in community band use only valves 1 through 3. That 4th valve tubung must be good for SOMETHING :laugh:

On a more serious side and maybe more plausible in a pro setting:
There are these portable/remote mic devices in strap-on containers that stage- or studio performing artists might install SOMEWHERE on their horn.
Everybody would EXPECT some electronic device to be found in there.
Just make sure that container looks the part and has "xyz sound systems" or some other plausible, but misleading wording on it.
Steve Inman

Post by Steve Inman »

Will the bottom bow metal shield the tracker's Bluetooth or WiFi (whatever they use) and keep them from working (sending out a signal)? Easy to test -- just slide one in without any glue and try it out....
Marzan CC solo model -- soon to be for sale
YEB-381 5V Eb
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

And I saw a news item today that a guy had one of those in his truck that got stolen, he tracked down the truck, and the guy who stole the truck is now dead. In Texas.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:27 pm And I saw a news item today that a guy had one of those in his truck that got stolen, he tracked down the truck, and the guy who stole the truck is now dead. In Texas.
Thanks. :teeth:

I love stories with happy endings.