R&M Kaisertuba is Finally Home!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: R&M Kaisertuba is Finally Home!

Post by bloke »

I experimented with a really tall German Kaiser B-flat in an orchestra for a short time, and the bass trombone player told me that he was having trouble hearing me. He was accustomed to my bell being down closer to where his ears are. I'm not saying anything good or bad; 🙂 I'm just saying what happened when I used an instrument like that in an ensemble for a short time.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Alebeard (Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:17 pm)

sweaty

Post by sweaty »

With taller tubas, I wonder how the audience perspective (the relevant one) is different. If the tuba player hears his own sound slightly later, would he respond sooner? I think it would be very beneficial to have conductor/audience do an A/B comparison between tall and short tubas to evaluate ensemble precision.

As a euphonium player, I tire of the sound so close to my right ear. I prefer tall bells and recording bells. As an audience member, I get frustrated from not hearing euphoniums and tubas because the sound is lost behind curtains. Even in a real concert hall, the direction of the bell matters a lot more than players realize. This applies to pros, kids, and everyone in between.
These users thanked the author sweaty for the post:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I would have to suspect that there isn't much (any) difference at all from even twenty feet away - other than maybe the "color" of the sound, and only a tuba player (or someone who listens to tubas a whole lot) would notice that,, and my section mate playing the bass trombone would have gotten used to it soon enough.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

Ah, late to the party, but had to comment. What a beautiful instrument! Really a remarkable horn. Love the way that thing looks. Is there any way we could get to hear it? I'm in Virginia. I think if you leaned into it real hard I might be able to hear it here. :teeth:
These users thanked the author bone-a-phone for the post:
bloke (Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:09 pm)
Alebeard

Post by Alebeard »

Thanks! I haven't taken any videos yet.
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Enjoy that beautiful horn!!
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)