Marching baritone models - least worst?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tokuno

Marching baritone models - least worst?

Post by tokuno »

. . . Marching baritones *resigned sigh* . . .

My Bach/Yamaha marching baritone, while not a great-player, is sufficient to the needs of the "mostly gray-hair, primarily beer-drinking, but some marching and lots of rock charts playing" pep band that my wife & I have popped into and out of for many years.
I've loaned that horn for an indeterminate period and my bell-front Olds Ambassador, while a better horn than the Bach, is an (aesthetically) discordant sore thumb in this group.
A disappointing eBay/Craigslist search makes these two appealing to me:
JPacker JP2053
Thomann MBH-303

Any advice you'd care to share with me? (other than "grow up already", unless it's irresistible, in which case lay it on me; I've already heard it all from my kids, anyway) :teeth:
Thanks,
"Thinks of changing his handle to OKBoomer" (I don't remember it hurting this much in college . . . )

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Marching baritone models - least worst?

Post by bloke »

JP is a Yamaknockoff, but built better, half the price, and with a sturdier case.

The best ever was USA-made BLESSING with the GERMAN valveset.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:03 am
@tokuno, there is one of these listed on FB marketplace on Long Island for $550. Not sure where you are located, and that's a bit of a drive for me unless I took the round trip ferry. But if you're interested, you might be able to work out shipping with the seller. If the seller won't ship, throw some gas money/baritone money/shipping money my way and I can get it to you one weekend I'm free.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=6ojiHh
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

arpthark wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:46 am
bloke wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:03 am
@tokuno, there is one of these listed on FB marketplace on Long Island for $550. Not sure where you are located, and that's a bit of a drive for me unless I took the round trip ferry. But if you're interested, you might be able to work out shipping with the seller. If the seller won't ship, throw some gas money/baritone money/shipping money my way and I can get it to you one weekend I'm free.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tid=6ojiHh
Thanks for the ad and offer. I messaged a response to her, including an inquiry into shipping to California.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

That one has the correct valves. Towards the end, they had different valves.