playing and hearing aids

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tokuno

Re: playing and hearing aids

Post by tokuno »

Paulver wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:45 pm I can hear my watch ticking in my right ear, but not my left.
Wow, I immediately confirmed that I can still hear the tick in both ears *whew*. But I used to hear it ticking from the night stand and now I've got to hold the watch close . . . occurred to me . . . how many folks even own analog, mechanical watches anymore, let alone wear one? Can kids read an analog clock?

My wife got aids last year and I have not noticed a timbre change in her, but I've begun spot recording my practice sessions because a recent performance recording revealed a horrifying harsh thinness to my tone, although it still sounds right to me from behind the bell. I've apparently lost some audio sensitivity.

I'd be dead by now without modern surgery, anesthesia, antibiotics, dental care, etc., so I'm not complaining about the aches & pains; just glad to be "hear" :cheers:
These users thanked the author tokuno for the post:
cjk (Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:37 am)

cjk

Post by cjk »

bloke wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:05 am I don't know what those $250 things are, that are advertised on TV... I would have to assume they are crap, but they claim they are actual hearing aids and not just amplifiers. If they are better than nothing, that's not a tremendous amount of money to spend until something that works somewhat, until something that works properly is available financially. I would proceed with skepticism and caution, when something is that inexpensive.

At first glance, I would probably assume they are the India-made nickel plated "Bessons" of hearing aids.
I watch these things with great interest. I'd like to be able to mess with my programming more than I already can with what I have. The effectiveness of over the counter aids would depend on the effectiveness of the hearing tests which would be used to program them.
I think that Apple, due to the controlled ecosystem and limited number of phone models they produce, could become the #1 hearing aid vendor *if they wanted to*. They have a limited number of devices and have a greater chance of succeeding in creating a "take at home" hearing test with a reasonable degree of repeatability.

Making medical devices requires one to comply with all sorts of laws/regulations which they probably don't want to do.

my impressions, I'm no expert:
Hearing aids don't just "make louder". If I understand correctly, some can modulate pitches you can't hear into something you can hear. I believe they all can amplify the pitch ranges they are programmed to. If you've got vented domes, they'll typically just be programmed to mess with only the pitch ranges they need to.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I could tell you a story about India-made power transformers that are the size of houses, and how that turned out for the utility I was working for, but you can guess. It was a good British company too, and they made a mistake. I have wondered if that mistake has been fixed; these have to come over here on ships, and it is not a quick trip. Takes at least a year to get one, and now, I don't even want to think about it. (haha - and don't have to any more, either!!)