Bell covers

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
KingTuba1241X

Re: Bell covers

Post by KingTuba1241X »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:48 am We had our rehearsal Monday night. With the bell cover, I had a tough time 'feeling' like the sound was getting out there, but apparently the conductor was satisfied. I noted bell covers, both commercial and home made, on all the brasses. Saxes and clarinets had sock-type things slipped over the bells. Guess I didn't pay much attention to the flutes, except that most of them were playing with face shields on. There were about 50 of us in the band room, 6 feet (more or less) apart, and another (implied) 30-50 participating on-line. I guess it was ok, but the experience wasn't as fulfilling as it should have been. I'll stick with them thru this fall concert in November, then see what happens with my other bands, though I suppose everyone will be running these covid-compliant rehearsals until someone decides what the end-game will be and we achieve that.
Any of you out there in South Dakota doing band rehearsals? What's the report?
Tim "covid-schmovid, soon to be a rebel" Tuba
Amazing how in Mid February (well into the spread of it, just not on the media radar as much yet) went to weekly rehearsals while feeling strange...then I was deathly ill with "something that exhibited all the symptoms of Covid" for 8 days then went back to rehearsal the following week still not feeling that great but acceptable enough to pick up the horn and having major issues with lung capacity. Only a few people had it and none of them that sat next to me. King "because droplets aren't spreading it" Tuba1241X

*Also, think about the NAMM show in Anaheim and all those Chinese companies with their wind instruments being played in Late January 20' and how that could have been a super spreader event, not to mention the world wide gathering there as well right in the midst of when it was already hitting us.

06' Miraphone 187-4U
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

Do understand, although not widely reported, actually not reported on much at all, the US was in an influenza epidemic from January till August of this year......what one thought was ‘the virus’ may have been influenza.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Yadent wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 pm Do understand, although not widely reported, actually not reported on much at all, the US was in an influenza epidemic from January till August of this year......what one thought was ‘the virus’ may have been influenza.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html
An epidemic that was never reported on? I guess Pandemic>Epidemic now. :gaah:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

I’m not saying it. CDC’s nifty graphs and reported mortality numbers under those graphs are saying it. Checkout the double mortality peak for this seasons P&I. If one were to plot the mortality data for Covid as per CDC’s reporting, that same double peak occurred for Covid within the same time frame......coincidence???? As one who is accustomed to 3 rehearsals per week and 1 every other Sunday and now have had none since March, I obviously have WAY too much time on my hands. I use to follow such data when working and thought I was done....... :eyes:
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
tofu

Post by tofu »

:smilie7:
Last edited by tofu on Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

tofu wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 pm Okay - I don't know how big they make it - but what about using a pair of really mega large women's nylon elastic waist sheer black panty hose? Fit it to the bell rim and knot the legs close to the top of the bell and cut off the legs just past the knots (so it doesn't look totally ridiculous :laugh: )
Not a bad idea.
I had considered a really large pair of men's boxers (let's see, 20 inch bell = 60 in waist boxers...) and having Sandy sew the legs and fly shut. I'm thinking that both the boxers and the panty hose would be easy targets for (and well deserving of) plenty of jokes.
I don't have a problem with that.

Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 am
tofu wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 pm Okay - I don't know how big they make it - but what about using a pair of really mega large women's nylon elastic waist sheer black panty hose? Fit it to the bell rim and knot the legs close to the top of the bell and cut off the legs just past the knots (so it doesn't look totally ridiculous :laugh: )
Not a bad idea.
I had considered a really large pair of men's boxers (let's see, 20 inch bell = 60 in waist boxers...) and having Sandy sew the legs and fly shut. I'm thinking that both the boxers and the panty hose would be easy targets for (and well deserving of) plenty of jokes.

Tim
:laugh:
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 am
Not a bad idea.

Tim
New ones I hope? Lest ye be breathin' something foul.. :teeth:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Tim
[/quote]

[/quote]

We have a term for that up here in da (soon to be) frozen nort - "Uff-da."
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:17 am Tim
[/quote]

We have a term for that up here in da (soon to be) frozen nort - "Uff-da."
Tim
[/quote]

Or the polite, hiding what you're really feeling, "that's interesting."
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

This would deflect any possibility of actual droplets getting out while letting the column of air out of the horn with little resistance. Personally, I think it's hard to believe bodily fluids can travel 18 feet out the horn plus the additional feet required to get to a socially distanced band mate, but bands are scrambling to find the best way forward.

We just found out from the city that unbeknownst to us there is a switch in our performance center that turns on 2 huge exhaust stacks in our performance center - apparently high volume high velocity- although no one knows why they were designed into the build - so with the front door open it would pull large amounts of outside air in and pull up the air surrounding the band and exhaust it outside the top of the building. So now the debate is if it's a good (safe) idea with it getting dark earlier of pulling rehearsals onto the stage from out in front on the grass in the open air. The city is green lighting 50 people inside which is half the band.
That system could be designed to remove theatrical effects (fog, etc) or it could be a post-Fire smoke purge system, or both.
Furguson11
Has thanked: 0

Post by Furguson11 »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:48 am We had our rehearsal Monday night. With the bell cover, I had a tough time 'feeling' like the sound was getting out there, but apparently the conductor was satisfied. I noted bell covers, both commercial and home made, on all the brasses. Saxes and clarinets had sock-type things slipped over the bells. Guess I didn't pay much attention to the flutes, except that most of them were playing with face shields on. There were about 50 of us in the band room, 6 feet (more or less) apart, and another (implied) 30-50 participating on-line. I guess it was ok, but the experience wasn't as fulfilling as it should have been. I'll stick with them thru this fall concert in November, then see what happens with my other bands, though I suppose everyone will be running these covid-compliant rehearsals until someone decides what the end-game will be and we achieve that.
Any of you out there in South Dakota doing band rehearsals? What's the report?
Tim "covid-schmovid, soon to be a rebel" Tuba
Doing this in Brainerd, MN? We haven't been authorized to start rehearsals in Roseville, MN by the city yet (city band in a middle school bandroom). I may get a chance to start doing small group at church anytime soon.

As an aside, my retirement gig is driving school bus (think of it as a tuba savings account). We are currently delivering lunches and transporting about 1/2 of the K-2 students. The school board is meeting on Thursday, grades may or may not be added.

I like the laundry bag idea, I bought some cotton fabric, but that sounds better. I ordered this one, I should be able to cut it down on the sewing machine with enough left over material for the trombone and baritone. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4 ... UTF8&psc=1

Brad
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brad,
Yeah, that bag looks about right, and you're wise to cut it down - mine has wayyy to much fabric being not used. I used a couple of giant rubber bands to hold things out of the way, but removing fabric is much smarter.
Good luck with getting that Roseville band going again! My kids both attended Northwestern there, and live just a few miles out, so we (normally) get to the area frequently. What's that pancake place over by Guitar Center? I need to get back there.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 am
Brett,
Ah, I see you've been reading "How To Speak Minnesotan". A hilarious book - and frighteningly accurate!
But, ok, then.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Furguson11
Has thanked: 0

Post by Furguson11 »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:23 pm Brad,
Yeah, that bag looks about right, and you're wise to cut it down - mine has wayyy to much fabric being not used. I used a couple of giant rubber bands to hold things out of the way, but removing fabric is much smarter.
What's that pancake place over by Guitar Center? I need to get back there.
Tim
I can't soldier to save my life, but I can sew : ) I like that the laundry bag has all of the requisit fabric and ties for about $6

The pancake place is the original pancake house https://www.ophmn.com/ Though band members are fond of going to McCarrons Pub, a dive bar on Rice Street, for burgers and a beer after rehearsal. We also occasionally visit Grumpy's on Snelling. Both have Monday burger specials.

Brad
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:24 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:37 am
Brett,
Ah, I see you've been reading "How To Speak Minnesotan". A hilarious book - and frighteningly accurate!
But, ok, then.
Tim
Ope...

BTW, my wife's family has the long goodbyes, big-time. Fro. The first "all right..." is meaningless! Takes a good 45 minutes to part ways! For short visits, the goodbye may as well start immediately after the hello.

"Hey you guys, how's it going? Well, all right ..."
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

Here is one designed by Jim Akins, Associate Professor of Tuba/Euphonium at The Ohio State University and Principal Tubist at the Columbus Symphony Orchestra.

https://thebrassmask.com/

I have not tried it or any bell cover, but I know the creator.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I've been meaning to order a stretchable cover for my tuba bell with a clever design or initials on it.

It's on the way, I'll check in when it arrives. :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:58 pm I sure hope the clarinet, sax, and flute players can keep all of the holes covered on the sides of their instruments!

Stop mocking the narrative; I’m deeply offended, and am considering forwarding a screenshot of this post to the WHO.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:21 am
bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:58 pm I sure hope the clarinet, sax, and flute players can keep all of the holes covered on the sides of their instruments!

Stop mocking the narrative; I’m deeply offended, and am considering forwarding a screenshot of this post to the WHO.
Well, you know their motto...

"WHO cares"