New tuba: YCB-623

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

Re: New tuba: YCB-623

Post by bort2.0 »

dp wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:57 am
russiantuba wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 pm I have been told by another Yamaha artist that it is based on Jim Self's 1930s model York 4/4 CC tuba. I have played on an early 1920s York factory original 4/4 CC tuba (the same model Jacobs was willing to trade one of the CSO Yorks to Bob LeBlanc to use as his main horn). This horn is an amazing horn. If Yamaha kept the same concept design, it should be a great horn. I would say it will probably be close or an improved version of the PT 606 (GR 41?) based on this information.
That was my understanding as well, based fairly-closely upon Jim's 692 York that Lee restored. I had thought the GR41 was based upon a different 4/4 CC York than the 692, maybe Mike Johnson can recall?

Whatever this Yamaha is, Aaron sure can play the Shirt out of it!
The GR-41 is based on a York CC that was owned by Arnold Jacobs, Harold McDonald, and later Bob Tucci. I think it was originally ordered by Jacobs in the 1930s, and the GR-41 was built in the early 2000s and based on that tuba.

Gotta wonder what could have happened with York and CC tuba production if WWII had never happened. But obviously, of all the "what if's" had WWII never happened, CC tubas are just about the least important.
Last edited by bort2.0 on Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

royjohn
Has thanked: 0

Post by royjohn »

This is not related to the YCB-623, but to the clip of playing it by Tindall. I'm trying to figure out my optimal embouchure motion and I was interested to see that Tindall has quite a bit of motion, down for low notes and up and way to the right for high register. I won't worry so much about how much motion I have after seeing this.
royjohn :tuba:
cjk

Post by cjk »

dp wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:57 am
russiantuba wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:44 pm I have been told by another Yamaha artist that it is based on Jim Self's 1930s model York 4/4 CC tuba. I have played on an early 1920s York factory original 4/4 CC tuba (the same model Jacobs was willing to trade one of the CSO Yorks to Bob LeBlanc to use as his main horn). This horn is an amazing horn. If Yamaha kept the same concept design, it should be a great horn. I would say it will probably be close or an improved version of the PT 606 (GR 41?) based on this information.
That was my understanding as well, based fairly-closely upon Jim's 692 York that Lee restored. I had thought the GR41 was based upon a different 4/4 CC York than the 692, maybe Mike Johnson can recall?

Whatever this Yamaha is, Aaron sure can play the Shirt out of it!
seems like I first heard that this thing (Yamaha based on Jim Self's 4/4 York CC) was "under development" like 15ish years ago? Seems like that took awhile. I hope it's great.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

How long did the Yamayork take?
matt g

Post by matt g »

Better pic and some interesting information:

These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
cjk (Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:40 am)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
matt g

Post by matt g »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:03 pm How long did the Yamayork take?
I’m pretty sure Jim Self had an early copy about the same time the Nirschl came out, maybe earlier? I want to say that it was 6 or 7 years before it got fully released into the wild.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

motion...
' not the only high-profile player who does seemingly (??) extraneous stuff when inhaling...
I can think of a couple more high-profile-ish tuba folks with noticeable seemingly-non-beneficial inhaling movements.
Rather than using those as excuses, it encourages me to reevaluate myself regarding such things, and to work to replace any such habits with better ones. They're GREAT players, but great players can not only teach by all their positive examples, but by all their examples.

theory:
The more a player was encouraged to think about "breathing" at some point in their career and path, the more likely they are to exhibit some sort of extraneous motion when doing so. (??)

Until he was too far away to be accessible to me (I'm neither flying - period, nor am I putting any of my tubas in stow in airliners), I was having Mr. Baer help me when I could get away and when he could fit me in.
one session: "I don't see you breathing".
my reaction (inside my head, not out loud to him)..."I should probably breathe more deeply - particularly before really loud or long phrases, but I still don't think it should be that apparent to others (ie. as if a stage actor, breathing deeply for the audience), because 'non-tuba-playing deep breathing' isn't that apparent to others."

There's not a player of any instrument (from beginner to top of the heap) who doesn't do something physically unnecessary.

I also find it (not fascinating, but) humorous to watch some players move their #1 slides, seemingly (if not obviously) in nonsensical/strikingly inconsistent ways. (I try hard to move mine purposefully, and also to realize that some high-velocity passages are helped by it, but others should just be played without concern for absolutely perfect circuit length, with more concentration on rhythm/articulation/clear sound production - even if some quickly-passing pitch isn't spot-on.)

Don't ask me to list the extraneous stuff that I do...I don't have enough time to list all of it...

...and guitar: I never managed to discipline myself to keep my fingers hovering quite as low as I should have kept them...though not as bad as some.

new Yamaha 4/4 tuba:
It wouldn't be difficult to surpass the playing characteristics of the YCB-822, in my opinion, particularly when one considers how long the 822 has been on the market.
Peach

Post by Peach »

tubaing wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:06 pm Looks like there's a BBb version too.
Interested - Do you have a link or source?
Thanks
cjk

Post by cjk »

Peach wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:26 am
tubaing wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:06 pm Looks like there's a BBb version too.
Interested - Do you have a link or source?
Thanks
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... oduct-tabs
Billy M.

Post by Billy M. »

LargeTuba wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:08 am I think I heard the price tags was 17,000 (don’t quote me on the that.) I guess that’s smaller price tag than the Yamayork…

Side note: I recently tried a yamayork, and I now realize why people play them.
FWIW, I bought a brand new MR-P CC tuba in silver plate for less than that. Granted, I know it's not an all-purpose instrument where this may be closer, but getting away from the Europe vs Asia thing, the price differential here makes the 623 a very expensive option in a market that has many at many different price points.
Romans 3:23, 24

B&S MRP-C
Boosey & Hawkes Imperial 19" Eb
Besson New Standard 15" Eb
John Packer 379 FF
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MSRP's are posted on the Yamaha website... I've calculated (and rounded) what 70% of the MSRP would be, because that seems to be a pretty accurate guess of MSRP to Retail pricing. "Before tax and shipping" :eyes:

BBb
silver: $15,814 --> $11,100
lacquer: $15,011 ~~> $10,500

CC
silver: $17,157 ~~> $12,000
lacquer: $16,565 ~~> $11,600

Prices seem competitive and not too bad.
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I would be interested if this is a true compliment to the yamayork. IE everything is good.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp