Unfocused/centered Bb

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Tubajug

Unfocused/centered Bb

Post by Tubajug »

Hey folks,

This might belong in the repair section, but here goes. A friend let me borrow an old Conn Eb sousaphone (looks like the one for sale on this board) and he doesn't like how the 4th valve Bb (two ledger line) plays. I've played on it for a bit and yes, it does seem a bit odd, like it doesn't want to settle right away. After playing it for a while, I learned how to "approach" that pitch, but if you're just playing around without thinking about it, it doesn't always want to pop out.

The F just below the staff seems just fine, so I'm not sure what's going on. You'd think if was a leak or something, both pitches would be off. Any thoughts?

Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Unfocused/centered Bb

Post by bloke »

Try playing it like a trombone F-attachment low F, rather than like a B-flat tuba/sousaphone open B-flat.
It's the same thing as when people playing F tubas try to play C below the staff like a C Tuba open C. It doesn't work that way.
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

I see what you mean. It's odd though, because I don't have that issue with my Franken Eb. On that one it pops out just fine.
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Tubajug wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:07 pm I see what you mean. It's odd though, because I don't have that issue with my Franken Eb. On that one it pops out just fine.
... and some F tubas don't have that issue.

I'm sure you've already checked all the mechanics/obvious stuff...
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Tubajug (Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:16 pm)
Breavdah

Post by Breavdah »

Old as dirt Eb/F tubas ain't gonna lay down fat low Bbs. Think thin, like thru-the-teeth level of thinness. It'll be there, and it may even be in tune and acceptably loud. It just won't be fat and easy.
groovlow

Post by groovlow »

My main axe is '43 Conn 28K. I can tell immediately when I loose the pop and clarity in the fourth valve range, I have water in the 4th loop, or MTS, or loop after the MTS, or the bottom of the bell..It doesn't take much, a tablespoon. It can be a real upper body workout if you're working in cold weather. I also have an Eb, 1926 Conn 25J* 4v front(Mts before valves) that has the same water response deal. . @bloke worked on both horns, 28k lengthened the 4th circuit and removed the flat tire spot on the bottom branch right where the water collects. Also bloke shortened the 1st circuit, and a few more things, tricked it out just right. He liked the 28k ha ha ha :laugh: :laugh: not so much the '26 Eb. Me... I like them both, '26 is a house party favorite :tuba:

Joe "tuning for the key, don't forget one and three" H.

* { Eb 25J high/low 4v, on an old price list Conn Loyalist site}
These users thanked the author groovlow for the post:
bloke (Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:25 pm)
Estubist

Post by Estubist »

Tubajug wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:23 pm Hey folks,

This might belong in the repair section, but here goes. A friend let me borrow an old Conn Eb sousaphone (looks like the one for sale on this board) and he doesn't like how the 4th valve Bb (two ledger line) plays. I've played on it for a bit and yes, it does seem a bit odd, like it doesn't want to settle right away. After playing it for a while, I learned how to "approach" that pitch, but if you're just playing around without thinking about it, it doesn't always want to pop out.

The F just below the staff seems just fine, so I'm not sure what's going on. You'd think if was a leak or something, both pitches would be off. Any thoughts?
My Schenkelaars rotary Eb has the same issue, the wider buildt chinese (Thomann) piston Eb with its bigger bell not at all.
Schenkelaars rotary Eb, Cerveny BBb, Thomann 4+1 comp. Eb