Yamaclone F arrived!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Yamaclone F arrived!

Post by bloke »

I would assume that there are a ton of people who would purchase a 621f before they would purchase a knockoff.

That having been said, I've watched quite a few people over the years sell their 621f tubas and buy fancier ones that weren't nearly as good.

I could own and play a 621. I'm not saying I'd be enthusiastic about it, but I could. There are other F tubas that I absolutely could not own and use.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
cjk (Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:57 pm)

MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

Mine always sounds better in recordings than it does to my ear while playing. Fwiw
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

MikeMason wrote:Mine always sounds better in recordings than it does to my ear while playing. Fwiw
My experience also.

Rick “at least back when I had chops” Denney
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

So, how much was the total cost? Including all fees and shipping?
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

MikeMason wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:23 am So, how much was the total cost? Including all fees and shipping?
Just slightly over $2,000. I want to say like $2,050 or something.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
cjk (Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:49 am)
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

Wow. We need a comparison with a real one. I’m guessing the real one isn’t 4 times better.
These users thanked the author MikeMason for the post:
cjk (Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:49 am)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I'm already impressed with it. Once I get this loose solder joint or whatever is buzzing fixed, it'll be quite the player.

Anybody in the NYC metro/New England area with a real YFB-621 who wants to meet up to A/B compare, just let me know.
djtubat
Has thanked: 0

Post by djtubat »

my tuba has also arrived. I will test and report in more detail. but the first impression is very good. only the lead pipe angle is not yet optimal.
These users thanked the author djtubat for the post:
jonesbrass (Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:25 pm)
djtubat

Yamaclone F arrived!

Post by djtubat »

https://on.soundcloud.com/ViH3G1dvbTwrorzw9

Yesterday I made a recording with the China Tuba. 1st-3rd Tuba is played with China F tuba, 4th part with my C tuba York style. Intonation is a bit of work, but the sound and playability is ok.
For me, the mouthpipe angle is too low, I will definitely change that.
I'm happy with the instrument though and didn't expect to get such a good tuba, especially for the money.

Have fun listening to the recording.
(Headphones recommended)
These users thanked the author djtubat for the post (total 4):
arpthark (Mon May 08, 2023 10:48 am) • Mary Ann (Mon May 08, 2023 11:44 am) • bone-a-phone (Mon May 08, 2023 6:36 pm) • Estubist (Wed May 10, 2023 8:52 am)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I'm impressed. High A in there too.

Gesendit mit computer und fangers
Last edited by Mary Ann on Tue May 09, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

djtubat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:22 am https://on.soundcloud.com/ViH3G1dvbTwrorzw9

Yesterday I made a recording with the China Tuba. 1st-3rd Tuba is played with China F tuba, 4th part with my C tuba York style. Intonation is a bit of work, but the sound and playability is ok.
I'm happy with the instrument though and didn't expect to get such a good tuba, especially for the money.

(Headphones recommended)
Fantastic. Sounds great. What is your recording setup?
djtubat

Post by djtubat »

arpthark wrote:
djtubat wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:22 am https://on.soundcloud.com/ViH3G1dvbTwrorzw9

(Headphones recommended)
Fantastic. Sounds great. What is your recording setup?
my recording setup: rode nt-5 and an old Yamaha standalone recording mixer.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

(Headphones recommended)
So all 4 parts on the F then? Sounds nice!
djtubat

Post by djtubat »

LibraryMark wrote:

(Headphones recommended)
So all 4 parts on the F then? Sounds nice!
4th part is played on c tuba

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
These users thanked the author djtubat for the post:
LibraryMark (Tue May 09, 2023 3:21 pm)
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

(Headphones recommended)
How much electronic tweaking was there on the intonation? Would it be possible to hear a raw recording? It has a processed sound because it's just a little too perfect. The sound is impressive, but I know even bad recordings can sound great after all the beats and intonation are lined up. Not a knock on your performance, just want to honestly see what the horn's warts look like. The sound is really remarkable from something so inexpensive.
djtubat

Yamaclone F arrived!

Post by djtubat »

bone-a-phone wrote:

(Headphones recommended)
How much electronic tweaking was there on the intonation? Would it be possible to hear a raw recording? It has a processed sound because it's just a little too perfect. The sound is impressive, but I know even bad recordings can sound great after all the beats and intonation are lined up. Not a knock on your performance, just want to honestly see what the horn's warts look like. The sound is really remarkable from something so inexpensive.
I had to correct the rhythm of the last 2-3 bars because otherwise it would have been difficult with the ritardando. there is no processing other than reverb and compressor/limiter on the master channel.
I swear to god I didn't correct the intonation!
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

djtubat wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:01 am I swear to god I didn't correct the intonation!
Very impressive. Nice tone, too.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Curious as to what mpc you apparently already had that fits so well with this. I have a horn-playing friend (also with dystonia) whom I'm trying to talk into getting in to tuba. She is about my size, which might mean the wrist problem is there, but she could afford what you paid and an F tuba is a great place for a horn player to start. I'd want to recommend a mpc that works well, which is why I'm asking. She is very talented and determined and would be able to start on good equipment and just adjust to it.
Pat S

Post by Pat S »

Ditto, curious about the mouthpiece for what appears to be an effortless high range!
djtubat

Post by djtubat »

Mouthpiece is a very individual thing and I don't know if my mouthpiece fits you. I play a custom-made mouthpiece, cup diameter 31.66mm, bore 8.1mm. the cup is relatively deep for an f tuba mouthpiece, the back bore is not extremely large.

for this small f tuba I would prefer a mouthpiece with a deep cup (for a nice dark sound). however, there are certainly mouthpieces that respond more easily in the high register. it depends on the purpose