Just as always...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Just as always...

Post by bloke »

...I'm posting a bunch. :eyes:

Please strive to COVER UP my posts with your LEGION posts.

One of the main reasons that I post about what I'm doing is to cajole others (who may be a bit introverted in nature) into posting about what THEY are doing.

bort2.0

Re: Just as always...

Post by bort2.0 »

Hey Joe, that flooring you installed a while ago... The posts are gone on the other place. Can you remind me what product you used (hardwood? laminate? the new fad LVT?) We are finally (finally!) about to move into the house we bought last December. However, instead of having a whole home renovation done before moving in, we've been able to do nothing at all. Covid related delays and stuff... That's 2020 for you.

Have an 800 sq ft below grade living area currently with old carpet. It'll always be a basement, but would be much better without carpet.

If (big if) the concrete floor is level enough, I may be bold enough to install flooring myself. What did you use? I'm looking for something that would do well with moisture. Not basement/leaky kind of moisture, more like wet boots and messy kids. The laminate floor at our condo was annoying as hell, it was like getting cardboard wet... :eyes: How much per sq ft when all said and done?
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Well, I'll lend a hand, covering up your post what I've been doing today.
After working the job I stopped and visited with 2 sets of neighbors for half an hour each, invited the men to Sporting Clays on the 26th, got to pet some little ankle-biter dog that has a tumor the size of a cantaloupe hanging off his side. Made it home, re-worked the grouse and the stroll sites to keep things fresh, then deposited corn cob leftovers, carrot trimmings, etc in the far corner of the property in front of the trail cam. I'm not bear hunting this year, but I do enjoy taking their photos!
Now listening to Appalachian Spring while picking church music for October and staying current on TubaForum.net.
My kind of day.
Let's hear yours.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:46 pm Hey Joe, that flooring you installed a while ago... The posts are gone on the other place. Can you remind me what product you used (hardwood? laminate? the new fad LVT?) We are finally (finally!) about to move into the house we bought last December. However, instead of having a whole home renovation done before moving in, we've been able to do nothing at all. Covid related delays and stuff... That's 2020 for you.

Have an 800 sq ft below grade living area currently with old carpet. It'll always be a basement, but would be much better without carpet.

If (big if) the concrete floor is level enough, I may be bold enough to install flooring myself. What did you use? I'm looking for something that would do well with moisture. Not basement/leaky kind of moisture, more like wet boots and messy kids. The laminate floor at our condo was annoying as hell, it was like getting cardboard wet... :eyes: How much per sq ft when all said and done?
Brett,
For any MN basement, I'd recommend you check with a pro about getting some in-floor heat. Will make a ton of difference November thru March!
Good luck on those new-home projects!
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Good grief - double posted, again.
Well, I guess that just helps bury your post a little better
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:53 pm
bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:46 pm Hey Joe, that flooring you installed a while ago... The posts are gone on the other place. Can you remind me what product you used (hardwood? laminate? the new fad LVT?) We are finally (finally!) about to move into the house we bought last December. However, instead of having a whole home renovation done before moving in, we've been able to do nothing at all. Covid related delays and stuff... That's 2020 for you.

Brett,
For any MN basement, I'd recommend you check with a pro about getting some in-floor heat. Will make a ton of difference November thru March!
Good luck on those new-home projects!
Tim
If we were spending any serious time down there, then definitely. There's also a fireplace, which we may or may not ever use.

Oh, there is one project that's a must do before move in. Radon mitigation.

Oh, and a full new HVAC system. The boiler is shot, plus there are leaking radiator pipes buried in concrete/under the foundation. And no AC to begin with. It's a massively expensive project, but, ya gotta have heat in winter in Minnesota... :eyes: Will be great. But I could buy that Thein tuba I've always wanted (plus...) for the same amount...
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

I'm a staunch fan of real wood - I floored my entire house (7 rooms total), excluding the kitchen and two rooms in the attic, with 3/4" #1 oak.

In a basement, however, you might be better off with some kind of engineered/laminate flooring, with a high quality vapor barrier underneath it.

If it's somewhat damp, invest in a good dehumidifier too.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

[/quote]

There's also a fireplace, which we may or may not ever use.

[/quote]

Brett,
Well, I can't be there to lend a hand with your construction, but when you come up here one of these days I'll send you home with a trunk full of dry firewood so you can put that fireplace to good use.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Tim, you're too kind.

Plan is to change it to gas :facepalm2:

(I'd LOVE to keep it wood burning, but the floor above it is going to be expanded, and the chimney's got to go). Plus, we are fancy city people. Push button fire ... :bugeyes:
Heavy_Metal

Post by Heavy_Metal »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:02 pmOh, and a full new HVAC system. The boiler is shot, plus there are leaking radiator pipes buried in concrete/under the foundation. And no AC to begin with. It's a massively expensive project, but, ya gotta have heat in winter in Minnesota... :eyes: Will be great. But I could buy that Thein tuba I've always wanted (plus...) for the same amount...
Especially that far north, stay with hot-water or steam heat. Reroute pipes as needed. Forced-air will never keep you comfortable.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
cjk

Post by cjk »

Consider polishing and painting the slab. Else, tile which looks like hardwood. It’s a basement, expect moisture down there.
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

A day of getting organized for whatever the upcoming concert and brass band season has to offer. Registration was sent in online as well as an e-transfer for the yearly fees. The paying of my tenant and car insurance also. Thought about going through my quartet music, "Benediction" by John Stevens being one of them (playing the first tuba part with the solo at the beginning and the end :bugeyes:) however pushed it back to tomorrow. Watched Cleveland beat Cincinnati on Thursday Night Football and that's it. Lots of playing tomorrow.
Last edited by prairieboy1 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Frank -- I agree, radiator heat is great. But, the costs don't add up for us... Replacing the boiler and redoing the pipes will cost about 70% of the cost of a new system. And still leaves us without AC. And running all the ductwork for that... I hear that the whole house humidifier will help a lot with the "warmness" feeling. I just don't want to get zapped too much.

cjk -- hadn't thought about polishing the slab... Might be a decent idea, but seems awfully cold in winter. Hrmm... Maybe that's why they did carpet in the first place.

Gonna be 40 degrees tonight. Better get on this soon...
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Brett,
The stuff that I used is a multi layer but thin tongue in groove laminate of all wood...with appearance wood as the top surface. The appearance wood is still thick enough to be sanded and refinished twice, if needed.
It can be floated, glued or nailed. I nailed it with an angled small floor nailer (staples, technically) made specifically for this product.
I would be tempted to seal that concrete, build a wooden subfloor on top of it of treated framing lumber and marine plywood (all screwed) - with some sort of waterproof insulation, and then nail this laminate to that marine plywood…and put tarpaper on top of the marine plywood to boot…
(incidentally, this would give you some space for that hot water piping heating system that someone else above recommended.)
...but I would ALSO consult with a basement/moisture expert, and wait to decide anything until you have some horrendous torrential rain, and pay attention to what happens in your basement, during and after that event.
I bought my flooring from a place that sells ends of runs for very very low prices. The stuff that I picked was exactly what I wanted, and only a part of one box (only about ten square feet) more than I needed for my job was available. It’s pretty cocky to risk only buying barely more than the square footage needed, but I do take chances and often come out on top when doing so.
If you are going to dare to put wood flooring in a basement, I would double the recommended distance from the edge of the wall, which would define some big-ass quarter-round hovering over the edges of your floor.

I didn’t practice today, and should have. Tomorrow I have to sight-read most of another neighborhood brass quintet concert, as half of the repertoire has been changed, and today I was just too exhausted to look at the stuff that was emailed to me...but I’m sure it’s all just auto-pilot type of music anyway, but still… I also did NOT run the Vaughan Williams 2nd Mvt. (performing - for memory - with a brass choir accompaniment in less than a month) today. :eyes:
matt g

Post by matt g »

PVC laminate flooring with proper underlay is great in the basement. Water isn’t an issue.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Shawn
Has thanked: 0

Post by Shawn »

All this talk makes me glad I have an apartment.
I am utterly in awe of anyone who can maintain/improve a house.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Shawn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:01 am All this talk makes me glad I have an apartment.
I am utterly in awe of anyone who can maintain/improve a house.
I'll be 40 years old in a few weeks. This is my first house. I could have easily gone another 5-10 years without owning a house.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I’m doing my part, I’m getting the band back together!! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Finally, a really solid day of rehearsing. All of the Brass Quintet and Euphonium-Tuba Quartet stuff played through thoroughly, including "Bill Bailey", which has proven to be quite a challenge for me at least. Trying to pigeon-proof my deck before winter and hoping for more success than last year. That's all folks!
:tuba:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Mark E. Chachich

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

The Bel Air Community Band is still on hold until (at least) 2021. I have been practicing almost every evening and found an old book of string bass solos (from when I used to play a lot of string bass) to augment my usual tour through my etude books.

On another front, I have been using my Weber Kettle to smoke brats and hotdogs. My wife soaked a chicken in Coca Cola over night and I did the "beer butt chicken" grill only with the Coke, it tasted very good.

Best to Everyone,
Mark
Life Member Baltimore Musician's Union Local 40-543
Life Member International Tuba Euphonium Association (ITEA)
Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience (a musician can do almost anything!)