Bass trombone options

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

Bass trombone options

Post by bort2.0 »

Nothing Chinese, that's rule #1.

Around $1,000 max, lower is obviously better. One valve is fine, two is obviously better.

The Duo Gravis posted here is obviously a great choice, but out of budget. Maybe...? A Conn 72h is appealing, and I've always enjoyed the Bach 50B's that I've played.

I also like the German style bass trombones, with the longer slide. And if we're going traditional, snakes are a bonus. But... yeah, I know, not the most appropriate for any American style playing.

Anything else to consider?

ParLawGod
Site Admin

Re: Bass trombone options

Post by ParLawGod »

I think a Holton TR180 would be right up your alley (earlier models had 9.5" bells, and later models 10" if memory serves me correctly). Underrated bass bones for sure, and I've seen them go in the $1000-1500 range often. Perhaps slightly on the high side for your budget. Leadpipe replacement really makes 'em PLAY!
matt g

Post by matt g »

Benge used to be the unknown secret. Not so much anymore.

Update 2 - Found a Benge 290:

https://reverb.com/item/14549971-benge- ... s-trombone

Yamaha makes nice bass bones. I had a YBL-612 that sounded a lot like a King Duo Gravis. There’s one on Reverb from a good seller for $1200 right now:

https://reverb.com/item/3740955-yamaha- ... eat-player

Also had a YBL-321 to start with. Great single valve horn.

Updated - Quinn also has a YBL-322:

https://reverb.com/item/3815047-yamaha- ... mbone-nice

I did a lot of doubling work in high school and college. Almost all of it was big band stuff. I played several Bach 50s of various setups but I liked the Yamaha way more. The Getzen Dave Taylor model (1062?) was great.

Holton makes a nice sounding bone but the bell is shorter and is weird when using the bell as reference.

King bones are great but gaining value. An 8B is a loud and massive chainsaw. Frightening.

Conn is also great but they are popular and command more money.

As a tuba player, I’d stay away from the heavy/big equipment. Your sound concept and airflow will tend dark so a brighter bone with an easier upper register would be best. I’d probably look for Yamaha, King, Benge, then Conn in that order.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks!

A ton of good info here!

Speaking of Yamaha, think I have any chance of ever tracking down a YBL-605?
matt g

Post by matt g »

Finding a German style Yamaha is certainly possible but not in your price range. Also, the Yamaha uses a conventional hand slide.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

I've seen single rotor Yamaha basses in the $750-1000 range.
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

Two thoughts...

--That Benge looks pretty decent. The rippled valve knuckle it unfortunate but not as big a deal as many folks will claim. A GOOD tech can replace it; don't let a novice near it. Probably be a great player with minor work. You might offer them $900.

--I can sell you a single valve Reynolds Philharmonic with copper bell. The famous "Tangerine" trombone. Awesome player. Ideal big band horn. Easy to play. It is in the shop right now having its one problem fixed. I should have it back this week. It would be well under your budget.

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

greenbean wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:41 pm Two thoughts...

--That Benge looks pretty decent. The rippled valve knuckle it unfortunate but not as big a deal as many folks will claim. A GOOD tech can replace it; don't let a novice near it. Probably be a great player with minor work. You might offer them $900.
A
--I can sell you a single valve Reynolds Philharmonic with copper bell. The famous "Tangerine" trombone. Awesome player. Ideal big band horn. Easy to play. It is in the shop right now having its one problem fixed. I should have it back this week. It would be well under your budget.
Thanks! Yeah, send me more info on that Reynolds. Would it be appropriate for concert band as well, or too light of a sound? Unlikely that I'd play bass bone in a band instead of tuba... But good to think ahead a little.

Thanks!
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

That price range will limit you. You'll be looking at singles mostly. Conn 72h should be in there, maybe 70h and 71h as well. Yamaha 321. Olds S20 and S22 {double} and you might find a Reynolds double. All the other doubles will start around $14 - 1500.

If you are in the US, German horns are rare here. I've seen one Yamaha 603 in 5 years of looking.

Mack would be the only Chinese bass in that range I'd mention. They do play decently.

There are some tenors that have some bass properties like King 5b, Holton 159. Best of luck.
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

King 5b
I had one of these back in the early 2000's. Same bore size as a large tenor (well, by today's standards), but the 9" bell made it somewhat of a "poor man's bass." Nice sound to it. Single rotor.
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

Some of the greatest examples of orchestral bass trombone playing anywhere, were recorded on a Benge 290. Pete Norton in Cincinnati, and Tom Klaber in Cleveland both played Benge 290's. For part of their careers.
Kalison DS CC
Ace

Post by Ace »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:51 pm Nothing Chinese, that's rule #1.

Around $1,000 max, lower is obviously better. One valve is fine, two is obviously better.

The Duo Gravis posted here is obviously a great choice, but out of budget. Maybe...? A Conn 72h is appealing, and I've always enjoyed the Bach 50B's that I've played.

I also like the German style bass trombones, with the longer slide. And if we're going traditional, snakes are a bonus. But... yeah, I know, not the most appropriate for any American style playing.

Anything else to consider?
Brett, take a serious look at the Benge 290. https://reverb.com/item/14549971-benge- ... s-trombone I have owned two of these. They are a kick-ass bass trombone with gorgeous tone. The second valve branch is in two parts so you can tune it to G or Gb, which enables an Eb or D in first position.

Ace
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I have a YBL 321....it can sound like a really mellow tenor using a 9G and can really be bassy with a 1 1/2G. I'd be happy to let it go for around $500 BUT...the slide is not perfect, in the butter sense. For me, entirely usable. For someone slide-picky, they'd probably want to have it looked at. Would rather sell it locally. Sold it once, bought it back for some odd reason. Slide was perfect when I sold it, and I didn't check when I bought it back. Kind of dumb.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks, Ace, for both suggestions! That Benge has sold, but I'll keep my eyes open for another. Your Yamaha actually sounds really great, and is probably a very good balance of cost vs everything else. I guess shipping won't be too expensive, but I do hate shipping... Sounds like you do, too...
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

I found a Yamaha dual trigger for $1200. I know it is out of your range but they might negotiate.

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16809
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Spend half of what it takes to get a really good tuba – and eliminate from consideration anything from China - and you end up with a bort-tuba.

... and probably the same goes for a bort-bass’bone.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:25 pm Spend half of what it takes to get a really good tuba – and eliminate from consideration anything from China - and you end up with a bort-tuba.

... and probably the same goes for a bort-bass’bone.
Well, hopefully I won't go through 15 of them before settling down ..!
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

rodgeman wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:08 pm I found a Yamaha dual trigger for $1200. I know it is out of your range but they might negotiate.

https://www.trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16809
Thanks! Looks nice. And just funky enough that it's something I'd get, haha.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

You take teasing very well…but anyone who moved over here had better.
For those who stayed back at the other place, the SJW‘s will take up for them, if they start crying.
jtm

Post by jtm »

bloke wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:10 pm You take teasing very well…but anyone who moved over here had better.
For those who stayed back at the other place, the SJW‘s will take up for them, if they start crying.
The other place gets about three posts a day in the main forum, so it hard to fit in much teasing.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free