Yamaclone F arrived!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
djtubat
Has thanked: 0

Re: Yamaclone F arrived!

Post by djtubat »

By the way, the mouthpiece that came with the China tuba is not bad at all!
These users thanked the author djtubat for the post (total 2):
jonesbrass (Wed May 10, 2023 11:14 am) • arpthark (Wed May 10, 2023 11:23 am)

jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

djtubat wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:54 am By the way, the mouthpiece that came with the China tuba is not bad at all!
Good to know . . . Mine is sitting in the case. I agree that it looks like a Bach 18 copy. What do you think?

I’m using a Giddings Caver mouthpiece on my Yamaclone and it works very well. I know, I know . . . That’s huge, but it is my f tuba mouthpiece of choice . . . I use it on my B&S F and Willson F, too.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

jonesbrass wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:15 am
djtubat wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:54 am By the way, the mouthpiece that came with the China tuba is not bad at all!
Good to know . . . Mine is sitting in the case. I agree that it looks like a Bach 18 copy. What do you think?

I’m using a Giddings Caver mouthpiece on my Yamaclone and it works very well. I know, I know . . . That’s huge, but it is my f tuba mouthpiece of choice . . . I use it on my B&S F and Willson F, too.
Looks and feels quite a bit like a Bach 18 to me, too. Not a Bach tuba mouthpiece fan, but I actually don't completely hate a real Bach 18 on this thing. I also like the Sellmansberger Imperial.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
jonesbrass (Wed May 10, 2023 3:39 pm)
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Actual Yamahas work very well with a contrabass-depth mouthpiece, and I would expect a clone to do likewise.

A singing tone in the high register is the player more than the tuba, and that is more true with the Yamaha. It lacks the easier high singing tone of, say, a B&S Symphonie, but it is still a F tuba even with a bigger mouthpiece.

Rick “my experience may not be yours” Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post:
jonesbrass (Wed May 10, 2023 3:36 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Rick Denney wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:05 pm Actual Yamahas work very well with a contrabass-depth mouthpiece, and I would expect a clone to do likewise.

A singing tone in the high register is the player more than the tuba, and that is more true with the Yamaha. It lacks the easier high singing tone of, say, a B&S Symphonie, but it is still a F tuba even with a bigger mouthpiece.

Rick “my experience may not be yours” Denney
I mentioned this in the Repair forum, but I brought this tuba to rehearsal last night to play some sort of hokey upfront Dixieland thing, which required standing in front of the band. I figure I own a lightweight tuba (my Besson Eb weighs more than my Eastman CC) and I might as well schlep it along.

With the Sellmansberger Solo #1 I was finding the resonance of notes near the bottom of the staff and right below the staff to verge on "barky." Next time, I think I will try the Imperial to see if that rounds it out a bit.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Some of the early (genuine) 621 instruments' receivers are borderline bass trombone/standard shank size...

...NO idea re: knockoffs. Later 621 receivers seem to be slightly larger.

OFF TOPIC:

Olds O-99 B-flat tuba receivers are sorta the same (whereby a GOOD/WELL-DESIGNED small-shank mouthpiece both fits and might well prove to function better than a standard shank mouthpiece, when inserted into an O-99 receiver).

amazing (ok: "to me") mouthpiece for an O-99 (as I've been messing with one, lately) is my own Imperial cup/small shank/TALL ("Profundo") rim of one's choosing.
Pat S

Post by Pat S »

My Mack Brass 621 C clone came with a no-name mouthpiece that feels much like the Bach 18 I'm using. It doesn't respond quite the same as the Bach, but it's close.