Sourcing B&S / Besson parts

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
kingrob76

Sourcing B&S / Besson parts

Post by kingrob76 »

So if I wanted a part for a Miraphone, I'd ping Miraphone or a Miraphone dealer. No big deal, done that before parts come over in good shape.

I've made a request from Eastman for a part, via a dealer, and expect this won't be a problem.

HOWEVER - I reached out to the folks at the Tuba Showroom in Jacksonville regarding some pieces/parts for my Besson plus some MW stuff, and gotten... nothing. Is there a US source for parts for these instruments (now that the dealer network is non-existent) or am I going to have to work through the Mothership?

Rob. Just Rob.
jtuba

Re: Sourcing B&S / Besson parts

Post by jtuba »

Tim Ornato was helpful for a warranty claim for Besson parts for my student this year.

When I needed parts for a B&S, after radio silence, I contacted Bob Tucci directly. After a few weeks I had the parts, plus some encouragement communication will improve, there were some retirements happening in the parts department back then. This was four-ish years ago. I haven't needed anything from them to verify the veracity.

Here's some links to catalogs the showroom emailed when I inquired about a particular tuba.
http://www.flipbooks.buffetcrampon.com/
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

It’s pretty dang hard for anyone to get parts from any Buffet company.

I’ve heard of some of my friends going through Bob Tucci with some success.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I have this mental picture of Mr Buffett sitting in a giant office on the corner of the 100th floor of some skyscraper in Paris, overflowing with spare tuba parts... Laughing maniacally at every email he reads about people needing things for repairs.

And then maybe once every 100 times, he'll take a spare part and put an envelope and mail it, just enough effort that the people know and remember that they exist. But infrequently enough to uphold the mystery and the embarrassment of riches and that 100th floor office.

It's either that, or they dislike the repairability of their instruments because it means that an initial investment in buying an instrument lasts many many decades. Is it in their interest to provide spare parts for a 40-year-old instrument to keep it moving along for the next 40 years? Or would they rather not provide any support, and make it so that a 40-year-old instrument that needs some repairs is better off being replaced?

They are a company that sells new tubas, not tuba parts. Conceptually, sounds kind of silly, because it's nothing at all like Auto parts. But Auto parts wear out much more quickly, and a car doesn't last for nearly as many years even with repairs and parts.

I think the whole situation is stupid and that it sucks. It's part of the reason that I'm not sorry I sold any of the tubas made by them.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
bloke (Fri May 19, 2023 8:13 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:42 pm I have this mental picture of Mr Buffett sitting in a giant office on the corner of the 100th floor of some skyscraper in Paris, overflowing with spare tuba parts... Laughing maniacally at every email he reads about people needing things for repairs.

And then maybe once every 100 times, he'll take a spare part and put an envelope and mail it, just enough effort that the people know and remember that they exist. But infrequently enough to uphold the mystery and the embarrassment of riches and that 100th floor office.

It's either that, or they dislike the repairability of their instruments because it means that an initial investment in buying an instrument lasts many many decades. Is it in their interest to provide spare parts for a 40-year-old instrument to keep it moving along for the next 40 years? Or would they rather not provide any support, and make it so that a 40-year-old instrument that needs some repairs is better off being replaced?

They are a company that sells new tubas, not tuba parts. Conceptually, sounds kind of silly, because it's nothing at all like Auto parts. But Auto parts wear out much more quickly, and a car doesn't last for nearly as many years even with repairs and parts.

I think the whole situation is stupid and that it sucks. It's part of the reason that I'm not sorry I sold any of the tubas made by them.
I hope this stolen cartoon doesn't depict an actual person... :bugeyes:
Booffettee.png
Booffettee.png (85.59 KiB) Viewed 323 times
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

OMG, that cartoon caption is the first time I've ever thought that "Buffet" might not be pronounced as "Buff It" :laugh:
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

With regard to Buffet Crampon I suggest it’s a case of something like: “Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity”.

Besson dealers: https://www.besson.com/en/dealers/
Spare parts listings: http://www.flipbooks.buffetcrampon.com/ ... s/spares2/

Perhaps you’ve already tried:
SWEETWATER SOUND, INC.
5501 US HIGHWAY 30 W
46818 - FORT WAYNE
USA / IN

The above are listed as a premium dealer and perhaps they can either supply parts or direct you to those that can.

As a rule of thumb it’s always better to speak to someone rather than email.

https://www.b-and-s.com/en/
https://www.b-and-s.com/en/dealers/
https://www.buffetcrampongroup.com/en/p ... nl-weston/
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Before Mr Meinl sold the company, I could email a lady at the plant, send her a picture of what I needed - with arrows and quantities, and I would get the parts in about two or three weeks...anything.

It seems like across the board - automobiles to air conditioners - repair parts are no longer part of the business model, and anything cheaper than air conditioners is thrown away and bought new.