Eastman 832 4/4 CC - four month impressions/review

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
arpthark

Re: Eastman 832 4/4 CC - four month impressions/review

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:10 am Blake is a good player. Good players make tubas sound good, regardless of the tuba, as long as the tuba is pretty good. Blake is going to get compliments on his playing regardless.
That's very kind of you to say, but I wasn't receiving these types of comments from folks when I was playing on a Jin Bao 410 CC, which I thought was a pretty nice-sounding tuba. The Eastman sounds very nice.

Also, the only recording of my playing on the internet is me playing a buzzing, pinholes-in-valve Yamaha clone 621 F tuba on some 50c. sharp Ds with all the slides pushed in, so make of that what you will.

LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

arpthark wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:17 am

Something in my own playing that I am learning, after dealing with tremor issues and focal-dystonia-like symptoms that plagued the end of my college career, is that smaller can be better. After selling my other large tubas, taking a few years off and moving to smaller equipment (mouthpiece/tuba), those symptoms have completely disappeared. Psychological? Maybe, but I am very happy and enjoying playing again.
I don't say this very often, but there is a reason I play more euphonium than tuba these days
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
arpthark (Mon May 15, 2023 10:19 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

When I move from a larger tuba to a smaller tuba (immediately/quick-change at at gig or during practice), I think "euphonium" or "go easy".
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Shot from after this past weekend's festivities, after getting everything shined up again:

Eastman 832 CC / Yamalike 621 F
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

LeMark wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:19 am
arpthark wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:17 am

Something in my own playing that I am learning, after dealing with tremor issues and focal-dystonia-like symptoms that plagued the end of my college career, is that smaller can be better. After selling my other large tubas, taking a few years off and moving to smaller equipment (mouthpiece/tuba), those symptoms have completely disappeared. Psychological? Maybe, but I am very happy and enjoying playing again.
I don't say this very often, but there is a reason I play more euphonium than tuba these days
Honestly, based on what I learned about dystonia and brain path function, it's the reason why I play a lot of "not horn" the last few years. The "sensation path" and the embouchure formation, if different from what you were doing when you got symptoms, means a different brain path is being used, which means at least a lessening of symptoms. Although, I don't have a lot of problem on horn now, as long as I don't put myself under pressure, and if I get up in "horn range" on the other instruments, I can and do get symptoms.
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

sweaty wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:49 pm Don't drop your sheet music in your spit puddle.
Especially if it's printed off an ink-jet printer.