DCI Cadets in town

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Grumpikins

DCI Cadets in town

Post by Grumpikins »

Cadets came to my local berg for the memorial day parade. Our marching band got to watch them warm up and prep. Awesome. Nothing like hearing a ton of horns play big chords in tune. Ive missed drum corps.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post:
York-aholic (Mon May 29, 2023 8:39 pm)

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
DonO.

Re: DCI Cadets in town

Post by DonO. »

Did you see the in Jamestown, NY or Girard, PA?
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Jamestown.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Being from Meadville, PA, I am not too far from you, although Jamestown is a pretty good drive. A couple of hours maybe? I noted with interest when the news broke that the Cadets had decided to make Erie their new home base. From my drum corps days I remember them being from Garfield NJ. Why pick Erie, I wondered? Seems like it would be easier to find members in NJ. But I suppose these days young people are willing to spend the summer with whatever corp they want to be in.

I used to love drum corps when I was young. But I am a curmudgeon of sorts about all the changes that have taken place over the years, in the name of “entertainment”. Back in my day we couldn’t put any percussion equipment on the ground, now they have the whole “front ensemble”. We were required to have a Color Presentation to respect the Flag; this is no longer the case. And don’t get me started on the instruments, which have evolved into “not really bugles”. So, while I still respect what they do and accomplish, it just isn’t the same for me. Seems like back when there were a lot of limitations on what we could do, it made what we accomplished that much more amazing.

I marched two seasons with the Pittsburgh Rockets. They were a senior corps. That’s another thing that changed. It’s all about the juniors now, and while that’s maybe how it should be, it’s too bad there’s not much for someone who “ages out”.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I havent kept up with events in dci. So learning that they moved to pa is a nice surprise.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I somewhat agree.

I think the front ensamble does add a nice layer to the music. However, it has become ridiculously out of hand. I think it should be restricted to specific instruments and quantity of them.

The corps should also return to the G bugles. The Bb conversion was pushed by manufacturers for ease of production (shared components with school instruments) and profit greed.

Theatrics have taken presidence over everything, at least from what ive seen in u toob videos of the last decade. Theyre cool, but im there for the horns and drums! Not broadway....

Thats just my opinion........

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post (total 2):
graybach (Tue May 30, 2023 4:30 pm) • TubātōTubŏtō (Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:58 pm)
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

I used to love drum corps when I was young. But I am a curmudgeon of sorts about all the changes that have taken place over the years, in the name of “entertainment”. Back in my day we couldn’t put any percussion equipment on the ground, now they have the whole “front ensemble”.
I'm with you. I loved drum corps in the old days. If you couldn't carry it, it wouldn't be on the field.
rollo

Post by rollo »

DonO. wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:05 am Why pick Erie, I wondered?
Likely has something to do with their parent organization, Youth Education in the Arts, being HQ'd in Allentown. That, and getting away from George Hopkins' sphere of influence...
DonO. wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:05 am it’s too bad there’s not much for someone who “ages out”.
DCA all age corps are still going, although not as strong as they used to be. Most of the corps are closer to the other edge of PA, but if you are ever interested in picking it back up Rogues Hollow is just a couple hours away in Doylestown, Ohio!
Grumpikins wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:28 am
The corps should also return to the G bugles. The Bb conversion was pushed by manufacturers for ease of production (shared components with school instruments) and profit greed.

i don't know that they did it out of greed, it was just a losing proposition. As more corps folded/consolidated through the 80's & 90's, their market for those horns got smaller and smaller. I imagine that producing an entire line of horns for a shrinking client base that desperately tries to keep those instruments working as long as possible due to shoestring budgets results in an operating loss. As much I do enjoy that sound, I don't know that anyone would expect a business to operate an entire product line that only loses money.

There is a special sparkle to that G sound that just can't be replicated and hearing 50 or 70 G's is absolutely something to behold.
TubātōTubŏtō

Post by TubātōTubŏtō »

Grumpikins wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:28 am
Theatrics have taken presidence over everything, at least from what ive seen in u toob videos of the last decade. Theyre cool, but im there for the horns and drums! Not broadway....

Thats just my opinion........

As someone who LOVES theatre, I completely agree that drum and bugle corp should be for drums and bugles.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Regarding the production of G bugles, I also think it lost money for the manufacturers, because there's zero market outside of old school drum corps. It's not like a college band or any other kind of musician, anywhere, really wanted a G instrument. And even if they did want something in that key, they probably wouldn't want something with that timber of sound.

At least with the Bb instruments, there's some hope that college or well off high School marching bands would buy and use some of these instruments. Well, besides the tubas.

I would also like to know what the difference is in weight between the G and B flat instruments. The only contra bugles that I had used for a while were in ancient piston / rotor, and later a two piston version. I understand that the later modern three valve contra in G was pretty darn heavy. I also think that the marching euphonium is such a ridiculously unbalanced and front heavy instrument even in B flat, but I can't imagine what it was like in G. I guess I'm not top-heavy muscles tough guy, but every marching euphonium or baritone I've tried was no fun to hold. The kind of just never felt like humans were intended to carry that much weight that far in front of your body.

Although intonation is a large part of the drum corps sound, and why there's such an impressive wall of sound effect, I think it's just as much because these people are playing constantly, working their bodies hard with good cardiovascular fitness, spending a lot of time focusing on breathing, and frankly, just being good enough to be there and wanting to participate. One result of this that every part is covered and performed to its potential. All those inner parts like third trumpet, or second horn, or whatever, they all make a difference. Although it's big and loud and garish and intentionally over the top, it is performed the way that the composer or at least the arranger had in mind.

I can't tell you how many bands I've been in the that had extremely talented players alongside people who just didn't give a damn in any way. There's always a sense of what might have been, or how things could sound if all of the parts were played equally as well. The second and third parts, and the wide variety of voices and timbers, especially in the tenors / Alto range makes an incredible amount of difference. Tuba plus melody is fun are those two people only.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I found this catalogue in my stash of crap from college.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC