We continue to bring up theft, the likelihood of theft, and airtags - in various threads...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

We continue to bring up theft, the likelihood of theft, and airtags - in various threads...

Post by bloke »

The more I think about it, the more I think I might just super-glue one in the spot indicated.

I would probably position it by contact cementing it to a small 4'-long stick on top, applying superglue to the bottom, positioning it, allowing the superglue to dry, and then pulling the (small/long) stick - with the contact cement on it - loose.

That thing's way smaller than the dents I see in most pictures of most all not-brand-spankin'-new tubas,

When the battery dies (or new much smaller/better/stronger/cheaper airtag is developed), the same stick (or flat metal) should be able to pop that superglue loose in a couple of seconds.

Before ever gluing it in place, I would position it, and determine/test whether the airtag's webpage picks it up.

I would predict (based on advertisers' past research) that it would raise both the 3rd and 5th partial pitches, promote a world-class sound and - otherwise - offer no ill effects on the playing characteristics.

airtag.png
airtag.png (183.05 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
bloke "Otherwise (come on, folks - It's just a 641) who would steal one of those, anyway...??"😉
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
windshieldbug (Mon May 29, 2023 9:03 pm) • York-aholic (Tue May 30, 2023 3:59 pm)

Mary Ann

Re: We continue to bring up theft, the likelihood of theft, and airtags - in various threads...

Post by Mary Ann »

I have wondered whether it could broadcast through the metal of a tuba. Somehow I doubt it.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: We continue to bring up theft, the likelihood of theft, and airtags - in various threads...

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:25 am I have wondered whether it could broadcast through the metal of a tuba. Somehow I doubt it.
...which is why it think it might be good to put it down in there just in sight of the opening of the bell...

...and your observations re: metal and reduced transmission are absolutely valid.

Other suggestions have involved encasing them in cast brass or bronze and thick (1/16" - 1/8" thick) lathe-turned nickel-brass - with a thicker dome of metal in the center, yet.

When I've encountered tubas that I've suspected were stolen, most often they were still in their bags, and (me?) I'd probably put an airtag in a bag, but - since I've migrated over to hard cases - I'm wondering if thieves would keep a stolen tuba in it's very heavy hard case (??)
Thieves are lazy and dumb, but (maybe?) so are people who leave their instruments in the passenger compartments of their vehicles, or - these days - anyone who parks any sort of automatic transmission car anywhere unsupervised in an American population center.

I liked things better (50 - 60 years ago, and further back) when we had civilization.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I noted that the older Club I have in the Roo, compared to the newer Club I have in the truck --- is much heavier, has a different kind of "key" to open it, and if someone where trying to remove it instead of just cutting the steering wheel, it would be quite the task. The newer one, probably cutting the steering wheel is still easier. I suspect the stick shift is quite a bit more of a deterrent than the Club. I think the airtags are useful for shipping but not sure of much else. One in the case can't hurt. But that tuba sent via Greyhound and the case arrived empty, probably an airtag would not have helped.

I would suspect that a good pair of loppers can cut a steering wheel pretty quickly.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Why couldn’t someone install a leather arm guard of some sort and place the air tag between the guard and the metal of the horn? The radio signal would go right through the leather, and the thief would be unlikely to remove something that looks like it belongs there.
Last edited by DonO. on Tue May 30, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

DonO. wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:29 pm Why couldn’t someone install a leather arm guard of some sort and p,ace the air tag between the guard and the metal of the horn? The radio signal would go right through the leather, and the thief would be unlikely to remove something that looks like it belongs there.
I could point out some ways whereby thefts/assaults/murders/etc. could be greatly reduced, but then someone would report my post, because "stating the obvious" - in post-orwellian muricuh - is labeled as "being political".

tofu

Post by tofu »

:smilie7:
Last edited by tofu on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
bloke (Tue May 30, 2023 5:33 pm)
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

[/quote]
I liked things better (50 - 60 years ago, and further back) when we had civilization.
[/quote]

OK, Boomer.

As I recall, your generation was pretty destructive. It is documented here:

If some of you could compare stats of loss of life and property in riots of 1968 vs. 2020, it could be interesting.

This article gives some very good examples of tougher times:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripid ... 54#image=1

And this one- examples of tough economic times:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/t ... 42#image=1
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The only riot in my town was downtown - in the 1960's - was in 1968, shortlived, and is wallpapered over in the history books, because it didn't support the purveyed narrative.

I understand that my age group is associated with the later '60's though mid-'70's, but (as my siblings are all at least a decade older) I don't associate with it as much as perhaps I should. I'm sort a 50's/early-60's person who was born in the mid-50's, and - past the mid-60's or so - sort of ignored pop culture and politics.

Other than that one 15-30-minute riot, law-and-order - pretty much - prevailed around here until the 90's, which was the beginning-of-the-end. By fifteen years later, I could see that things were simply going to continue to deteriorate, and began making my exit strategy.

Now (more than fifteen years later) even the sleepers are awakening and are crowding in "over here"...I'm now beginning to look further out (depending on how our health holds out)... Considering the atrocities of the last few years, "being near a hospital" is no longer an attraction, so "even further out" seems like the best choice.
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

I understand. But "civilization" is bigger than Memphis.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Last edited by bloke on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I like the idea of having the airtag inside the tuba.
Would adhesive velcro strips not be just as effective as superglue and less caustic? It'd be easier to remove for battery replacement also.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

cjk wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:14 am I like the idea of having the airtag inside the tuba.
Would adhesive velcro strips not be just as effective as superglue and less caustic? It'd be easier to remove for battery replacement also.
I suppose, but - LOL - something would have to glue (solidly) one half of the velcro to the inside of the bottom bow (superglue? :teeth: ) and then - if the next player doesn't like having that crap in their tuba...??

and (rather than easily bumping some superglued plastic from brass - which probably won't be much of a bond) how to manage to (way down in there) grab the velcro and pull it free from itself...??

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: A fake valve casing (made to look just like the others - whereby the bugle passes right through it) might be fun...which would probably be easier if rotary.
cjk

Post by cjk »

The leather guard with a pocket on the inside seems like a bit more workable idea.

Though I really do like the idea of it being inside the tuba.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Glitter bomb inside the case/bag that only you know how to disarm/arm to open and close the case/bag. Would make a big mess, but the stolen tuba would be obvious......lol.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

This tuba will self destruct in 15 seconds. Please enter pin number to abort.
This tuba will self destruct in 10 seconds. Please enter pin number to abort.
This........

Boom!

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Ive been joking, but having anything valuable to you stolen is terrible and hurtful. If my Cc tuba were stolen next week, i would not be able to replace it with a comparable horn for a long time. I really like the idea of placing a tracker under a leather wrap. Until recently, i had a wrap on my upper bow where i rest my left hand.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

In Maryland and Virginia, detection of a lost (stolen) item via a "Find My Device" is NOT considered probable cause for a search.

I had a friend who lost a cell phone, tracked it to a house, went to house asking if it was there and was told No. Lacking other houses to go to, the friend contacted the county police who accompanied her to ask the same question, and still got a No. The police said they couldn't perform a search, just ask the resident if they had any information. The phone went offline shortly after, and then resurfaced a couple days later at a public library (of all places) where it was recovered.

So, these devices will get you close, but, you need something else to get a lawful search performed in at least a few states (probably most).
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

kingrob76 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:18 pm In Maryland and Virginia, detection of a lost (stolen) item via a "Find My Device" is NOT considered probable cause for a search.

I had a friend who lost a cell phone, tracked it to a house, went to house asking if it was there and was told No. Lacking other houses to go to, the friend contacted the county police who accompanied her to ask the same question, and still got a No. The police said they couldn't perform a search, just ask the resident if they had any information. The phone went offline shortly after, and then resurfaced a couple days later at a public library (of all places) where it was recovered.

So, these devices will get you close, but, you need something else to get a lawful search performed in at least a few states (probably most).
pfft...
If someone stole my tuba - and I pinpointed the address, I wouldn't mess with the cops and all that legal mumbo-jumbo.
I'll just pull over in Memphis and ask three or four gents if they would accept each accept $100 now and (payable in front of Walmart) $200 each additional, upon delivery of the item...and - obviously - I would rent a car, before doing that.