Plastic tubas...?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Grumpikins

Plastic tubas...?

Post by Grumpikins »

I'm very curious about these instruments. Not that I'm looking to get one. I would like to try one out, just to see for myself. Reviews seem to be mixed.

Having a lightweight horn to cart to weekly rehearsals is kind of appealing.

Anybody here play on them at all?

What's your take?

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
arpthark

Re: Plastic tubas...?

Post by arpthark »

donn

Post by donn »

They're tubas. If I were in the market for a Chinese tuba, it would probably mostly come down to looks. I'm looking at plastic tubing, with brass valves - plastic valves would be a separate issue.
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

Gal in community band had one. It looked remarkably similar to my King 2341, only bright red.
She let me try it: comically, delightfully light, and surprisingly well-playing. Intonation was workable, tone was great - doubt if anyone in the band would've paid it any mind other than for the red glow.
Couldn't speak to how well it would hold up, but she'd picked it up used for a song. Only a couple/few hundred bucks, iirc.
Grumpikins wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:38 pm Having a lightweight horn to cart to weekly rehearsals is kind of appealing.
Anybody here play on them at all?
What's your take?
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Have you ever played an inexpensive souzy? Then you have played a plastic tuba.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

iiipopes wrote:Have you ever played an inexpensive souzy? Then you have played a plastic tuba.
I think I tried a king fiberglass sousaphone my school had. But being the macho tough guy I was not, I chose to play the big really heavy conn instead. That was the best horn my school had.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Lebari

Post by Lebari »

My band mate has a Zo model with rotary valves, sound was good but not great. He had a problem with the valves and our reputable tech couldn’t improve the issue so he’s wanting a brass piston tuba.The piston plastic tubas came out after he got the rotary 😐 He’s playing on the bands old Bb Besson and sounds better, better volume wise, but the Zo had better intonation. I can’t see them replacing brass but if you need to pick up something to blow thats cheap can’t see why not.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Lebari wrote:I can’t see them replacing brass but if you need to pick up something to blow thats cheap can’t see why not.
Well, I don't need another horn. I'm just curious about them. Right now I don't have space for another tuba. However, a year ago I injured my back and I see it being a problem in the future. So I'm kind of looking at options for the time that a lighter horn may be necessary.... hopefully not....

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post:
Lebari (Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:21 pm)
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
jtm

Post by jtm »

Lebari wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:53 pm ... I can’t see them replacing brass but if you need to pick up something to blow thats cheap can’t see why not.
The couple I tried at TMEA this year were light and fun, but seemed kind of fragile, and still $2000. In the past few years I've bought a couple of very playable German non-plastic tubas for the same price -- one BBb and one C -- and they both have valves and slides that seem destined to last for years, so the plastic ones only seem cheap (to me) if you need their unique features.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
Lebari (Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:23 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free