Andy Griffith’s tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
YorkNumber3.0

Andy Griffith’s tuba

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author YorkNumber3.0 for the post (total 3):
acemorgan (Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:07 pm) • bloke (Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:36 pm) • Three Valves (Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:51 am)

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Andy Griffith’s tuba

Post by bloke »

I hope this post isn't too off topic...

I recall an Andy Griffith TV special where there was a dance number whereby he was playing something or other (maybe the sousaphone?), Tennessee Ernie Ford was playing trombone, I think Don Knotts was pretending to play the guitar, and the actress who played the daughter in the darling family was maybe holding some sort of instrument - I can't remember. Oddly, right behind them in the chorus line was an unknown-at-that-time dancer, Goldie Hawn.

My question I guess is "Does anyone know whether Tennessee Ernie Ford actually played the trombone?"

If this question inserted in this thread doesn't seem to off topic and disruptive of the main post, I might fish around the Internet and try to find a still picture of that dance number.

I think many of us remember the horrible sounding Mayberry town band episode where they wanted to go to Mount Pilot (actual town name: Pilot Mountain) and march in a parade, the mayor didn't want them to go nor to fund the trip. some jazz musicians just happened to pass through town and played Stars and Stripes with the town band to make them sound good, and then as soon as the mayor of authorized the money for the town band to go off and march, the jazz musicians left in their car and went off in another direction. Andy was "playing" tuba - I think - on that episode, but it was some little small prop tuba, and I don't think it was the one that he actually owned - which is shown in that interesting display. I'm sure that many of us also know that he was a ("classical") singer, and that was apparently his major (??) when he was in college in music school. The folk singing that he did on the television program was not just some off the wall stuff, as there was a big folk music thing going on in the early sixties, that almost became more popular than rock and roll. I could list many examples of some of those musicians, but this post is already too long. I recall a very popular show - black and white, of course - which featured folk music superstars of the time, and that show was called "Hootenanny". The Smothers Brothers - with their comedy routine - grew out of that folk music craze, as did the Kingston Trio and many others. I apologize for going on and on.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I watched a video yesterday of Tennessee Ernie Ford playing trombone with another gent, was posted on Facebook. I'll try to find that for you.
Tim
These users thanked the author MN_TimTuba for the post:
bloke (Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:27 am)
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Here is TEF -
Tim
These users thanked the author MN_TimTuba for the post (total 4):
Mary Ann (Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:46 am) • YorkNumber3.0 (Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:57 am) • bloke (Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:27 am) • UncleBeer (Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:41 pm)
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
YorkNumber3.0

Post by YorkNumber3.0 »

Last edited by YorkNumber3.0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author YorkNumber3.0 for the post:
bloke (Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:30 pm)
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

bloke wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:24 pm . . .there was a big folk music thing going on in the early sixties, that almost became more popular than rock and roll. I could list many examples of some of those musicians, but this post is already too long. I recall a very popular show - black and white, of course - which featured folk music superstars of the time, and that show was called "Hootenanny" . .
My wife's great grandmother was this gal https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Park-1533 who did this:
" . . . December 1955 - NBC-TV studios in New York City. For her knowledge of American folk music[5], Ethel Park Richardson became the first $100,000 grand prize winner on the nationally broadcast NBC-TV program, The Big Surprise. . . . "
Somewhere in the neighborhood of a million bucks in today's money.
Lots of stories about her gammy told by my mother in law, who has a copy of Gammy's book "American Mountain Songs" that was gifted to her (and inscribed) on her 18th birthday in 1956 . . .
I think they have her gammy's autoharp, too - the one she toted on horseback through the mountains to help her record folks' family songs.
These users thanked the author tokuno for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:35 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I don't know how many of you recognize that tune they were playing, but that was one of my friend. Emil Orth's signature tunes. He would play it in E Flat major, and fake a low E flat without an F attachment.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Thanks for letting me stream-of-consciousness off in tangents from your topic. :smilie6:

Is that Griffith tuba a Conn?

(I'm not much on identifying old top-action stuff.)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

YorkNumber3.0 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:57 am Looks like hairspray in the bells just like the old early Welk band shows to prevent camera flare.
At the Memphis public TV studio, there was a local kids show (several decades ago) where a local actor (get this) dressed up in a HOT AIR BALLOON costume :bugeyes: and his side kick was a nice-enough but irritating voice rotund lady. (The show as called "Hot Stuff". It went on into the '80's...my first daughter was absolutely nuts about that show.)

I was in there (I'm thinking 1974...??) to do an instrument demo, and they sprayed my bell with that mess. I wasn't happy. They started doing it without asking...
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...or am I WRONG, and is this the same tuba...??

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Naw, they're different:

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I believe that would be a "nope".
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
iiipopes (Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:13 pm)
Kingconn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kingconn »

The Eb owned by Grace Moravian is a Martin. The director was a friend of Andy and they have a euphonium engraved as a donation from Andy and Cindi.
GC

Post by GC »

I remember a variety show in the late '60's where Andy, as a guest, played "Melody in F" on a tuba. He was pretty good, too. And that's all I remember of it.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
Bessonguy

Post by Bessonguy »

Andy on Carson playing trombone.

Edit:
Acting with a tuba...
These users thanked the author Bessonguy for the post:
bloke (Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:14 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If I watch more of that Tonight Show video earlier in the video, do they say which band member's trombone that is?

It looks to be pretty snazzy...
matt g

Post by matt g »

bloke wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:15 pm If I watch more of that Tonight Show video earlier in the video, do they say which band member's trombone that is?

It looks to be pretty snazzy...
They (Tommy) said they leased/rented it.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
bloke (Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:50 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Lonesome Rhodes sent me. :coffee:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

bloke wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:32 am ...or am I WRONG, and is this the same tuba...??

I love this picture!

Andy Griffith seemed to always use a Conn Eb, if I remember correctly.

Now that’s avatar worthy!
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

The “Mayberry Band” episode where Andy hoodwinks a traveling band to play with them so that the mayor will let them go to a band festival is on right now. A classic.
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post (total 2):
bloke (Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:25 pm) • Three Valves (Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:08 am)