Mahler 5 live

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Casca Grossa

Mahler 5 live

Post by Casca Grossa »

Sunday I was out running some errands and happened to catch the tail end of a live performance of Mahler 5 on the radio. The tuba playing was pretty outstanding. Usually on a Sunday, my local NPR station plays live performances of the Philadelphia Orchestra or the New York Phil. I waited until the end to hear them announce that it was the National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America. They have two tuba players listed on their roster. Christian Jeon from Louisville, KY and Chancellor Joseph from Richmond, TX. I was able to find a video of the performance on YouTube and scanned it quickly and it looks like the tuba player was Christian Jeon. In any case, whoever was playing sounded fantastic as did the entire ensemble. Kudos to the teachers of these young tuba players.
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post:
the elephant (Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:06 pm)

Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
arpthark

Re: Mahler 5 live

Post by arpthark »

Christian is on this board, I think: @tuba_playerr

Many congrats!
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
Casca Grossa (Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:16 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I suspect the NPR affiliate local to me judges their constituency to be less sophisticated, and probably broadcasts pre-recorded social issues propaganda and blather when other stations might broadcast symphony orchestra concerts.
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

What year was the group that was performing? Did they give that info. My daughter was in it about five-six years ago. Concert at Carnegie Hall in New York City. The next morning they took off for Europe for a few weeks. Tremendous group....... and it was all paid for through the Weill Institute. The only thing we had to pay for was getting them to Purchase College for the three week of rehearsals.

Great experience for the kids. World class instructors, conductor, and vocalists...... all for free!!!
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Paulver wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:39 pm What year was the group that was performing? Did they give that info. My daughter was in it about five-six years ago. Concert at Carnegie Hall in New York City. The next morning they took off for Europe for a few weeks. Tremendous group....... and it was all paid for through the Weill Institute. The only thing we had to pay for was getting them to Purchase College for the three week of rehearsals.

Great experience for the kids. World class instructors, conductor, and vocalists...... all for free!!!
Sorry they did not mention the year. What a group though.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Blokepiece Solo
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

bloke wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:36 pm I suspect the NPR affiliate local to me judges their constituency to be less sophisticated, and probably broadcasts pre-recorded social issues propaganda and blather when other stations might broadcast symphony orchestra concerts.
I am able to pick up several NPR stations where I live. One is almost all exclusively classical music from about 6 am until 6 pm then switches to jazz for the next 12 hours. It only gives short news headline updates from NPR every so often. The on air personalities are incredibly knowledgeble and play an impressive selection of music.
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Blokepiece Solo
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

The tuba player was probably Cameron Hall. He was in NYO last year, and they played Mahler 5 last year.
These users thanked the author LargeTuba for the post:
Camch23 (Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:37 pm)
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

here...some classical...a buttload (ie. the m-f-lode) of personal proclivities/the-sky-is-falling-in/fearless-leader propaganda...one station, unless I manage to catch a good day from Jax, MS which is a tad less radical and more local programming.