Brand new baritone player!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Paulver

Brand new baritone player!

Post by Paulver »

I just gave my great nephew his first baritone lesson today. He is "completely" new to music, and he learned his first three notes. While he doesn't appear to be a natural at it, he is very willing to try, and while he and his sister are staying with their grandmother for the weekend, (my sister), as soon as they got home, he gave both MY sister and HIS sister their first baritone lesson too! He seems to be very excited about it, but as we all know, it's easy to be excited early on. Would love for him to still be excited after a year or so of lessons.

My plan is....... I should say my ulterior motive is....... to get him going on this really old baritone, then once the time is right, (aka.... when he gets big enough to handle it) switch him to tuba. I played along with him a little bit on my 186, and he got very curious about it. His mom and dad are not musically inclined, but my sister, and our entire family is/was.

We'll have weekly lessons to get him primed for school in the fall. He wants to be ahead of the others when the music lessons start. So..... we jumped on it today. I'm very curious to see how this all turns out.

I also gave him specific instructions as to when he should practice tonight. I told him that as soon as his grandmother goes to bed, get that horn out and start practicing for an hour or two!!!!! :smilie7:
These users thanked the author Paulver for the post (total 3):
bort2.0 (Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:01 pm) • Jperry1466 (Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:18 pm) • WC8KCY (Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:47 am)

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Brand new baritone player!

Post by bloke »

I sincerely hope he has a lot of fun with it and decides to see how good he can get at doing it, or - if not this - see how good he can possibly get it doing something.

You know, there's a very old joke about tuba players and learning their first couple of notes...
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

I've not heard that joke. What is it?

I've heard one about beginning trombone players, through!!!!
jtm

Post by jtm »

I’m gonna guess that once the tuba player has learned two notes, that’s all they’ll ever need.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
bloke (Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:29 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Charlie C Chowder
Has thanked: 0

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Good luck with the guiding. I hope you have people backing you up. My two wives were not musicians. i only got a two out four kids to play into adulthood. One never tried. No musical son in-laws, so far no musical grandkids. But I am still trying. My youngest daughter has a four-year-old and a set of boy, girl twins at 6 months. We baby sit them two days a week. I am exposing them to as much music as I can. The oldest is a grandma's boy and takes up a lot of her time, So I get the twins almost full time, I usually put them to sleep singing to them. But I have done it with the guitar and flute as well. They show a lot of interest when I play. I put my first two kids to sleep with the guitar fifty years ago, after reading to them. The oldest daughter is trying to learn to play the guitar now.

CCC
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

After starting to read the joke, I realized that I did hear that one before....... a very long time ago. Thanks for the reminder.
Regarding the trombone joke........ it's definitely not one for this public forum. In fact, I wouldn't even forward it as a PM. Very funny, but most likely extremely offensive to the wrong ears.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

(Hoping to hear the new trombone player joke in return!)
How can you identify the trombonist's kids at the park?

They don't know how to use the slide and they can't swing.
These users thanked the author Jim Williams for the post:
WC8KCY (Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:46 am)
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY »

Q: In beginning band, which kids should play the trombone?

A: The ones that can't read something while moving their fingers up and down.
These users thanked the author WC8KCY for the post:
Jim Williams (Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:46 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

On talent, I truly believe that is genetic. My older sister, who grew up with the exact same music exposure as I did, was tone deaf. Had to be taught to carry a tune, and still couldn't do it. I was picking out pieces by ear on the piano when I was three, and I had excellent pitch recognition. That has just got to be genetic, because the musical environment was identical; a musical pianist mother, a father who sang in tune, and an in-tune piano in the house. Those genes skipped my sister, who was extremely good at other things. I think people who love music but are tone deaf should be introduced to the piano early on.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 3):
WC8KCY (Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:06 pm) • Jperry1466 (Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:33 pm) • jtm (Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:55 pm)
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Dents Be Gone! wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:43 am Poor trombone players! Abused almost as much as violists! :laugh:
What's the difference between a pizza and a trombonist? The pizza can feed a family of four.

What's the difference between a dead squirrel and a dead trombonist on the side of the road? The squirrel was on its way to a gig.
These users thanked the author Finetales for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:12 pm)
I mostly play the slidey thing.