name some small tuba mouthpieces

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
edfirth
Has thanked: 0

Re: name some small tuba mouthpieces

Post by edfirth »

It's got a different number now but Mirafone C4.From what I've heard Tommy Johnson was in on the development of it and used it on his Mirafone 185(Bonanza and Gunsmoke era)I don't have tools to measure it but I do still have one with a shaved down shank. It's my favorite small mouthpiece. Best, Ed

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

donn wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:06 am
JK Tuba "Exclusive"

If I'm reading the right line, that's 30.5 mm cup inside diameter, 8mm throat bore.
What's interesting to me is that a very small difference in the ID is the thing that has the cup either "on" my face or my face "in" the cup. With this 30.5mm ID, the cup is "on" my face, which makes it easier to play on than the PT64 32mm ID, which feels like my face is "in" the cup. Less feel of free buzzing the entire range of the instrument.

And, BTW, the only reason I even dug this cup out of my box of them, is because @bloke looked at a picture I posted about leadpipe angle, and observed that that PT64 looked too big for my face. He was right.

Also interesting is that the 7B is 31.5mm, just one mm larger, and I can tell the difference, although it was working fine on the 183. And a Yamaha Jim Self, which is 32.86, is very difficult for me to play on.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:41 am
JK Tuba "Exclusive"

If I'm reading the right line, that's 30.5 mm cup inside diameter, 8mm throat bore.
What's interesting to me is that a very small difference in the ID is the thing that has the cup either "on" my face or my face "in" the cup. With this 30.5mm ID, the cup is "on" my face, which makes it easier to play on than the PT64 32mm ID, which feels like my face is "in" the cup. Less feel of free buzzing the entire range of the instrument.

And, BTW, the only reason I even dug this cup out of my box of them, is because @bloke looked at a picture I posted about leadpipe angle, and observed that that PT64 looked too big for my face. He was right.

Also interesting is that the 7B is 31.5mm, just one mm larger, and I can tell the difference, although it was working fine on the 183. And a Yamaha Jim Self, which is 32.86, is very difficult for me to play on.
Nicole Curtis analogy:
Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean that you should...

tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

Bobo Solo is tiny.

Miraphone TU28 is also pretty small.
tylerferris1213

Post by tylerferris1213 »

Someone remind me to take a picture tonight of what is probably the smallest rim on an american shank mouthpiece I've ever seen. It's comparable to a euphonium/trombone rim. It's in my shoebox of strange mouthpieces lol
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Subcontrabass FF
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

tylerferris1213 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:27 pm Someone remind me to take a picture tonight of what is probably the smallest rim on an american shank mouthpiece I've ever seen. It's comparable to a euphonium/trombone rim. It's in my shoebox of strange mouthpieces lol
One of the EEb’s I was lent to play came with a Bass Trombone mouthpiece (IIRC it had a 28mm dia cup). It fitted the small shank receiver on the instrument and worked just fine for me, larger was more appropriate and worked better but on some instruments small can (I find) be OK.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Mary Ann wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:41 am
JK Tuba "Exclusive"

30.5mm is the size of a Denis Wick 4L and (having done it) that’s more than big enough to drive an EEb - I prefer something bigger though for a better voice through the fourth valve and compensating loops. A Bach 25 is pretty much the same size at 30.6 mm, I like them too - tireless to play - but again bigger allows me a better sound in the lower register.

Brass instruments are lip reed instruments, surely the reed that you can make is limited by your mouth size as well as the mouthpiece size. Small faces don’t necessarily work (as well as lip reeds should) with large cups - you need a match. We’re all a bit different and having accepted that we use what allows best or better results for us.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I'm pretty happy with the bloke solo with the new york Eb, but I'd like to find something else with a thicker rim and yet a narrow diameter.

Thinking of a bobo solo, if I can find one for a reasonable price
Yep, I'm Mark
WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY »

Some time ago on a lark, I stopped by the Kelly Mouthpieces website and found all of the Lexan tuba models (18, 24AW, 25, KELLYberg) on sale in either awful or potluck colors, so I got one of each. The 25 has ended up being the most-utilized of the bunch, and pairs particularly well with my Schiller (JinBao) 520 3/4 BB-flat.
jtm

Post by jtm »

edfirth wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:53 am It's got a different number now but Mirafone C4.From what I've heard Tommy Johnson was in on the development of it and used it on his Mirafone 185(Bonanza and Gunsmoke era)I don't have tools to measure it but I do still have one with a shaved down shank. It's my favorite small mouthpiece. Best, Ed
TU-23
I’m using this for a Miraphone 188 and had no idea it’s a “small”.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
BramJ

Post by BramJ »

jtm wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:30 am
edfirth wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:53 am It's got a different number now but Mirafone C4.From what I've heard Tommy Johnson was in on the development of it and used it on his Mirafone 185(Bonanza and Gunsmoke era)I don't have tools to measure it but I do still have one with a shaved down shank. It's my favorite small mouthpiece. Best, Ed
TU-23
It is shallow, but I wouldn't call it small. The rim diameter is 32.5mm
At least on my old C4. I use it on my F tuba

Regarding small mouthpieces, the Bach 25 is pretty small
donn

Post by donn »

jtm wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:30 am TU-23
When I got mine, '80s, I believe it was a recommended mouthpiece for the 190 BBb. It's hard to imagine, but I think there was an era when the tuba world had no idea how essential it is to play a mammoth mouthpiece. Not that the C4 is small in every dimension, just volume and throat.
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

Kelly makes a x-small in plastic or (1 or 2 piece , plus heavy wall too) steel variants with both with different shank sizes too.

The x-small is advertised as a euphonium and small tuba doubling mouthpiece. Or even a beginner motive too.

https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/

Smallest, bass bone or old Eb tuba shank link? 1 piece steel version
https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/kmstai ... /index.asp

1 piece stainless steel links
https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/stainl ... /index.asp

Side note. I actually bought a steel XXL, I like it. IT'S HUGE OBVIOUSLY. If I can save some money I am tempted to get the x-small in 1 piece in the future...
jtm

Post by jtm »

Shallowberger is certainly smallish (not that I have much to compare it with). Makes my F tuba sound a lot more like a trombone than I’m used to. There’s bound to be a time for that.

I’d kind of like a C4 with a rim like the Shallowberger.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

PlayTheTuba wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:55 pm Kelly makes a x-small in plastic or (1 or 2 piece , plus heavy wall too) steel variants with both with different shank sizes too.

The x-small is advertised as a euphonium and small tuba doubling mouthpiece. Or even a beginner motive too.

https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/

Smallest, bass bone or old Eb tuba shank link? 1 piece steel version
https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/kmstai ... /index.asp

1 piece stainless steel links
https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/stainl ... /index.asp

Side note. I actually bought a steel XXL, I like it. IT'S HUGE OBVIOUSLY. If I can save some money I am tempted to get the x-small in 1 piece in the future...
I just ordered the x-small in stainless steel
, but wouldn't have without the return policy. Thanks for the suggestion
What I liked about it is the diameter of teh rim was in between the bloke solo that I have and the 32e, which feels a little too small,. Especially with such a thin rim
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
PlayTheTuba (Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:03 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

jtm wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:13 pm Shallowberger is certainly smallish (not that I have much to compare it with). Makes my F tuba sound a lot more like a trombone than I’m used to. There’s bound to be a time for that.

I’d kind of like a C4 with a rim like the Shallowberger.
I can build that for you (something close, and with that very rim profile and even inside "cup" diameter) out of three piece stainless steel, but it's a bit more pricey than one-piece silver plated brass.
==============================
The really shallow and really small-throated (silver plated brass) mouthpiece is surely neither the shallowest (and surely not the one with the smallest throat) ever made for tuba, but it offers something that isn't easily found elsewhere, and/yet (pick the conjunction that seems the most appropriate to you) with a really comfortable-profile (and not-blobby) rim.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

This thread makes me ask - is there a functional difference between the Bobo Solo and the Replica Bobo Solo? It doesn't appears as if there is...
Rob. Just Rob.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Just the gold rim from the looks of it.

That's some expensive gold plating
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

This saga is continued right here

viewtopic.php?p=74891#p74891
Yep, I'm Mark
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

LeMark wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:24 pm I'm pretty happy with the bloke solo with the new york Eb, but I'd like to find something else with a thicker rim and yet a narrow diameter.

Thinking of a bobo solo, if I can find one for a reasonable price
Sometimes they pop up on here—but for F tuba, Bobo used a Miraphone F/Eb mouthpiece on his Miraphone 180 F tuba and a C4 on his CC. Yamaha modeled their mouthpieces after the ones he used. I am not sure if this is what you would want.

I used a Bobo Solo on my Gronitz F. I wanted something with a bit more oomph and power and used a VERY good Mirafone C4 for years (this one was bought new in the 80s by a flagship university tuba professor in the south). I needed some plating work on it and some shank work and I contacted Bloke about what he had, because I did miss the zip of the Bobo solo. I settled on the Solo #0.

It’s a different blow, and did take some getting used to, but it gives me everything out of an F tuba sound wise that I look for.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com