Looking for Somthing interesting

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
EmptyCase

Looking for Somthing interesting

Post by EmptyCase »

In addition to me looking for a 5/4 c tuba in prior post, im also looking for somthing that’s, just interesting(tuba/sousaphone type deal). Im currently looking at this helicon in WI and these Martin mammoths in West Virginia. So I though I should just throw this out there because, “why not”(classic last words). My budget is 2k or less(unless we’re talking about BAT’s or jumbos) so just let me know. :coffee:

Probably just gunna by the helicon but “eh”
Last edited by EmptyCase on Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author EmptyCase for the post:
the elephant (Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:14 pm)

HI :smilie7:
humBell

Re: Somthing interesting

Post by humBell »

I (also) can confirm that the 3 valve variant of the Conn helicon is great fun to play so i think it (and qualifies it as sompin inturstin)

I have not come cross these rumored Martin Mammoths in WV but enjoyed what came up when i googled it:
https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/travel ... ammoth.htm

In my own experience (if i recall the tale aright) there was a flooded WV school Martin Mammoth for sale that smelled like a cat had been living in it, and the repair fellow dealing with it said the whole bottom bow was an the verge of falling off, and needed to be entirely resoldered. But it was all worth it for a 24" upright bell, and the sound that comes out of it.

Though i say it without having put up with close proximity to the alleged cat odors...
"All art is one." -Hal
EmptyCase

Post by EmptyCase »

humBell wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:07 am I (also) can confirm that the 3 valve variant of the Conn helicon is great fun to play so i think it (and qualifies it as sompin inturstin)

I have not come cross these rumored Martin Mammoths in WV but enjoyed what came up when i googled it:
https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/travel ... ammoth.htm

In my own experience (if i recall the tale aright) there was a flooded WV school Martin Mammoth for sale that smelled like a cat had been living in it, and the repair fellow dealing with it said the whole bottom bow was an the verge of falling off, and needed to be entirely resoldered. But it was all worth it for a 24" upright bell, and the sound that comes out of it.

Though i say it without having put up with close proximity to the alleged cat odors...
The Martin mammoth sousaphones are not listed anywhere officially. There’s a community band up there with 3 of em and I convinced the directors to be willing to sell me one. Not completely set on it though.
EmptyCase

Post by EmptyCase »

I wanna bump this because i now have something more specific in mind. I've been wanting a 4 valve sousaphone(Bb) for a while...
humBell

Re: Looking for Somthing interesting

Post by humBell »

Did ya end up with the helicon?

(Sorry, i wasn't paying attention)
"All art is one." -Hal
tubadude

Re: Looking for Somthing interesting

Post by tubadude »

I've got a few helicons on the market. A 3 valve CC frankencon made up of a Buescher valve set a King Sousa body a 6" chunk of a Conn 10j and a King upright bell. Second is a 1909 King BBb helicon with an added 4th valve. Lastly is a 5 valve Eb/CC 1915 York helicon, the 5th valve switches between Eb and C. The frankencon is 3k, the King is 2.5k, and the York is 2k. Contact me if you want more info.
TubaDude
1909 King BBb Helicon
1915 York Eb/C Helicon
2022 Franken Helicon CC
192x Franken 5/4 Conn CC
197x Meinl Weston Bill Bell CC