Pleasantly surprised

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tubanh84

Pleasantly surprised

Post by tubanh84 »

I decided to get back into playing more regularly, which includes auditioning for the sub list for the local orchestra here. I'm playing my 184 almost exclusively now, and figured to take the audition on it. And I was wondering how they would feel about playing Ride on such a small instrument. Because I figured Ride would be on the list.

However, with the exception of leaving off Meistersinger, I don't know if I could have planned a better group of excerpts to play on a 184.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wdbti6xfqj2u ... tracking=1

So I guess if I fall flat on my face, I can't blame the horn or the exceedingly bad taste of the audition committee :)
These users thanked the author tubanh84 for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:35 pm)

Mary Ann

Re: Pleasantly surprised

Post by Mary Ann »

For sure -- and I see they did not give you Bydlo, which makes the assumption that someone in the trombone section will play it. I did Pictures on my 184 back when, and yup it works fine. All that would also work just fine on an NStar (of course I am biased.)
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Playing in-tune and musically will have much more influence than horn size.
These users thanked the author windshieldbug for the post:
the elephant (Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:43 pm)
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I see they have Bruckner's horn concerto (Symph #4) so they must have quite a good horn section, or at least a really competent 1st horn.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

windshieldbug wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:39 pm Playing in-tune and musically will have much more influence than horn size.
But, but, presence! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

windshieldbug wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:39 pm Playing in-tune and musically will have much more influence than horn size.
Sure, but no one has showed up to the finals of any recent audition with only a 184 for a reason. I love the horn, and I produce the sound that's in my head on it. And I fully intend to play in tune, musically, and in time.

My point is, these excerpts happen to be ones where I believe the 184 is the right horn. If Ride or Fountains were on the list, and I had access to a PT6, I'd use the PT6 for them. As I think anyone would.