Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: More than one tuba and it’s a freebie…

Post by bloke »

One of the few times I was paid to play with a band was way back when that "New Sousa Band" was a thing, and that fellow came to Memphis. Other rare times are when I'm asked to play in community bands - because all their tuba players (or the ones who they rely on to carry the band) are on vacation, and they might surprise me with an honorarium afterward.

Most of the orchestral pieces - that actually use two tuba instruments, whereby one of them is not labeled tenor tuba - would sound just about the same with only one tuba instead of two. More and more in my personal experience - when movements or portions of some of those pieces appear on concerts, there is no second player hired. At a Halloween pops where Mars was slated, both parts were on my stand, and of course I covered the tenor tuba part (euphonium) because - otherwise - those solo passages are not played by anyone else, and everything in the bass tuba part is covered by trombones and string basses.

I'm slated to play an extremely challenging symphony (two tuba parts which feature passages which might be found in tuba concertos) by an English composer in March, whereby both parts are very challenging, and I still have no idea if they plan to hire a second tuba player. The two parts sort of look like the composer might have been thinking of E flat and B flat instruments, but they aren't written in octaves. The upper part is really fast and difficult to count stuff mostly in the staff (though up to G-flat ABOVE the staff) and a little bit below, and the other part mostly does it around the bottom of the staff and down.

When I am hired to play patriotic concerts, it's always symphony orchestras and (likely unpaid) choruses.

I like tuba players a whole bunch, but I'd rather be chatting with them at a restaurant or while repairing their instruments. I used to really try to make a point of participating in the local Christmas tuba things, so I could visit with and chat with all the other local tuba players, but - these days - there's just too much risk of having one's car stolen or getting shot.

To be clear, I'm not denigrating band music. Band music is hard, and involves constant playing - much as with string bass, and - even when motion is slow - sustaining low pitches at forte for four bars requires some thought/pacing, a really vibrant embouchure, and actually a bit of athleticism. Playing in bands is a whole lot of fun, but having a whole lot of fun playing in an orchestra - and also being paid - is just as much fun...
...tacet pieces: I can always get some communication obligations taken care of with these newfangled phones, or I can stop by local band rooms and check on repair or sales needs with directors, or I can even cruise local pawn shops for deals on instruments, tools, and other things.
Last edited by bloke on Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

There are working tuba quartets. I think the TubaMeisters in San Antonio played 40 gigs last year, all of them (or nearly so) paid.

The only tuba I’ve ever owned that paid for itself was the Yamaha 621F I played in that group in its first year.

Not exactly a permanent full-time job, but definitely a plus sign for those participating in the gig economy.

Rick “but, yeah, only pay gigs these days are with brass quintet” Denney
donn

Post by donn »

All-tuba ensembles might qualify as the exception that proves the rule.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Pretty hard to get any paid gigs tubaing around here, what with the Coast Guard Band guys and the retired Coast Guard Band guys being 1st/2nd/3rd/4th call. Mostly Christmas and Easter stuff, but there is a pretty diverse live music scene that I'd love to get my toe in the door. Art Hovey does a good job of doing that.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I suppose - if it's okay to mismatch verbs and nouns, my observation about Rick Denney's claim is that there are a working tuba quartet.

Around here, I think it would be a pretty hard sell. San Antonio is a huge city and with a very large entertainment/tourism industry.

I did get paid to play my baritone horn today, and well enough to cover the drive there and back - as well as the gig. Including the hour drive there, the hour drive back, the forty-five minute rehearsal, and the hour and a quarter service, I guess I made about $70 an hour, and maybe there are still people who aren't paid quite that much hourly to work in fast food places, but I can't be sure about that...(??)

bloke "okay, I guess I'm supposed to call it a 'euphonium' "
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:32 pm
I had an older gentleman come up to me after our last community band concert of the season and tell me how wonderful it was seeing a "bass horn" like mine. His father had one like mine (King 1240 recording bell) that he sold 75 years ago, when this gentleman was 5 years old, and he wondered if it was his father's old "bass horn." Unfortunately no, but still got a kick out of hearing that old verbiage, and chatting with this nice man.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
bloke (Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:49 pm) • Dents Be Gone! (Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:19 pm)
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

arpthark wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:48 pm I had an older gentleman come up to me after our last community band concert of the season and tell me how wonderful it was seeing a "bass horn" like mine. His father had one like mine (King 1240 recording bell) that he sold 75 years ago, when this gentleman was 5 years old, and he wondered if it was his father's old "bass horn." Unfortunately no, but still got a kick out of hearing that old verbiage, and chatting with this nice man.
My high school band director recruited me to play "bass horn", and he was a "bass horn" player himself. Come to think of it, I qualify as an older gentleman now. How did that happen so fast?

For about 10 years, I was a "lone wolf" being the only adult tuba player in town, as well as the only tuba player in a nearby town community band. When something was happening at the local university that the students couldn't play, said university would pay me to play. After that 10 years, the university had enough students to hire a real tuba teacher, and a number of retired musicians, several of them tuba players moved into that other small town and joined the community band. Almost overnight, we went from a single tuba player to 8-10 at every concert. Most of them play in our local tuba-euphonium ensemble. We play a lot of unpaid gigs and have a great time doing it. Sometimes we are paid money; other times we're paid in food.
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:18 pm)
ronr

Post by ronr »

I play in a community band with three other tuba players; all young bucks who are more interested in making noise than making music. I exaggerate, perhaps a little. I just drop out on most of the quiet stuff until I get the pleasing look from the conductor. It’s nice to be appreciated!
2013 J Packer 379 Bbb
1905 York Helicon
1960 Reynolds Contempora Sousaphone
2022 Wessex fiberglass sousaphone
The Brute Squad
Has thanked: 0

Post by The Brute Squad »

There are at least 15 or 20 tuba players (active or lapsed) at my ~14k employee company. One of the software developers on my team is one of the lapsed ones, and I'm the devil on his shoulder trying to talk him into buying one and getting back into playing. 😈
Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Symphony cup and shank)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

The Brute Squad wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:54 am There are at least 15 or 20 tuba players (active or lapsed) at my ~14k employee company. One of the software developers on my team is one of the lapsed ones, and I'm the devil on his shoulder trying to talk him into buying one and getting back into playing. 😈
Sounds like it's time to organize a company tuba ensemble!
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

donn wrote:All-tuba ensembles might qualify as the exception that proves the rule.
That was sorta my point. How many gigging tuba quartets are there? Two? Three?

Military bands make a better exception.

Rick “preferred being the only tuba before tremor” Denney
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

bloke wrote:I suppose - if it's okay to mismatch verbs and nouns, my observation about Rick Denney's claim is that there are a working tuba quartet.

Around here, I think it would be a pretty hard sell. San Antonio is a huge city and with a very large entertainment/tourism industry.

I did get paid to play my baritone horn today, and well enough to cover the drive there and back - as well as the gig. Including the hour drive there, the hour drive back, the forty-five minute rehearsal, and the hour and a quarter service, I guess I made about $70 an hour, and maybe there are still people who aren't paid quite that much hourly to work in fast food places, but I can't be sure about that...(??)

A city needs a strong German/Czech heritage to support live polka music, especially if it’s a novelty act. Yes, San Antonio is such a place.

But lots of places have a heritage of some sort that a quartet can exploit as a novelty act. The TubaMeisters do include at least a couple of parody country and rock tunes, plus no shortage of long-hair music. The first step is understanding that it’s a novelty act.

And considering all the time spent writing arrangements, etc., it took a long time for the true hourly rates to exceed those of fast food employees.

Rick “t’ain’t easy” Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post:
bloke (Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:10 pm)
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I was thinking about a small civil war group. There's still a lot of that stuff going on. At least around here.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

I was in such a group when I lived in Dallas, but we only had one tuba. The director was a tuba player, but he didn’t play in that group.

Rick “but we were indeed paid” Denney
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

“I like tuba players a whole bunch, but I'd rather be chatting with them at a restaurant or a while repairing their instruments“

🙂