Shipping from Germany to USA

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I'm the last few weeks, I've been told every version of this... Which is true? (Actually, whatever people choose to do is what becomes the truth, regardless of what the rule is... But still, looking for the logic here).

I've been told by individuals and businesses... Music and not... the following things:

- we can't ship from Germany to USA at all
- everything is normal
- things are pretty much normal, but will take much longer
- everything has to go by boat at regular price, need to pay a lot more for airmail and faster delivery
- we don't want to ship to the USA, because the shipping rules are so unclear

A few other things, too, I think.

Not sure what the "real" answer. #3 is my experience with other Europe to US shipping the last 6 months. It takes a good 10 weeks or so. Except iceland... Things from Iceland seem to take about 36-48 hours. :smilie8:

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Shipping from Germany to USA

Post by bloke »

anecdotal:

A new French horn (that I sold to a prominent tuba player/teacher) has been languishing in Cologne for quite a few days...at least, according to FedEx tracking.
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

I got stuff from Germany a few months ago - it took a little longer than usual, but that could have been due to customs (large order), as well as slower-than-usual shipping (DHL/Deutsche Post is usually quite a bit slower than FedEx).

The order had originally been placed pre-covid and then delayed because of the lock-downs there.
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

Facts I am aware of:
1. Shipping prices have increased.
2. There are increased delays; some of this is on our end with CBP.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
humBell

Post by humBell »

Back end of Julyish, i got something shipped from France. It was by someone who didn't do it on a normal basis, so probably didn't find the cheaper rates, but on that basis, it got probably got delivered more quickly.

Am also waiting for something that is going through Customs from Germany as well. I had ordered it a month ago hoping it would arrive before October. And i guess it won't.

Alas, that's not particularly useful, is it?
"All art is one." -Hal
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I have been receiving parcels from Mirahone through the pandemic, since about late June. They go by air but have a quarantine of about two weeks in Miami before USPS gets them. It is taking a lot longer for DHL to get them through their Frankfurt and Hamburg portals, probably for a similar quarantine process.

The shipping was double the normal price until early August and now is back to normal.

The USPS is also taking a few days longer to get it to me from Miami/US Customs.

The total time normally to get a parcel from Waldkraiburg to Yazoo City via DHL (Deutsche Post) and USPS is three weeks, but right now is about five weeks.

I have a package that left Miraphone on Friday. They confirm that it left the factory at 5:05 p.m. and DHL logs the same, but also says that it has not yet been picked up. I suspect that it was actually picked up but not scanned into the system properly. If this is the case then it is lost in the morass of the Frankfurt airport DHL Portal and will likely be there for another week. At some point, I hope to get an email showing it in the system and its approximate whereabouts. However, once it lands in the US it will drop off the system until the quarantine is over. It will NOT be scanned in until then, so you will lose all contact with it for some time.

This is irritating, but the price is the same and you *can* get stuff. I supposed anything less than this is going to be due to however the company you buy from (or their shipper) decides to handle things.

I expect my package to arrive before I die of natural causes, but perhaps not much sooner than that.

Good luck.

:gaah:
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Yorkboy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:17 amThe order had originally been placed pre-covid and then delayed because of the lock-downs there.
I had one order from Miraphone placed in February that did not arrive until the middle of May, but the order I made in May arrived something like three days BEFORE the one made in February. I suspect the earlier package was stuck in some sort of Quarantine Lockdown Hell, whereas the later package escaped this delay altogether.

Things have been weird for good reason. At least things are coming back online.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks everyone! I was surprised to hear a company in Germany say that shipping to the US was not allowed... And the German people I've talked to have had various understandings as well... Sounds like "normal but longer" is probably the correct answer. I guess I just need to decide how bold I am right now!
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Claiming that one is not allowed to do something is a common way to cover up the fact that one does not *want* to do it.

People pass that buck on up to their bosses and go back to reading their phones.

<sigh>

I hope you get whatever it is that you need soon, man.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I always blame the insurance company.

Damn insurance companies!! :gaah:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
GC

Post by GC »

I bought a pair of cheap reading glasses from a company on Amazon that advertised that they shipped from California, and they did. But their first step was to ship from California to a major shipping center in southern China. It stayed there with no notice for nearly three weeks, and then showed up in Cologne, Germany, where it was handed off to DHL. It stayed there for two weeks, and was shipped to Ireland, stayed for 24 hours, and was shipped back to Cologne, where it stayed with no notice for 1-1/2 weeks. Then it was shipped to New Jersey, and it made its way to Jawjuh in 5 days.

A set of masks from a Chinese seller also took 2-1/2 months and took a similar route through DHL in Germany, with most of the time delayed in Europe. A set of valve springs shipped shipped from England took 16 days after shipping to arrive, only 4 of them in the US. No blame to she seller; he had it in the mail within 8 hours. Admittedly, these were small and cheap items and not essential materials, but I've heard similar stories lately about extreme delays, particularly through Europe.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

the elephant wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:01 pm Claiming that one is not allowed to do something is a common way to cover up the fact that one does not *want* to do it.

People pass that buck on up to their bosses and go back to reading their phones.

<sigh>

I hope you get whatever it is that you need soon, man.
In this case, it's just all over the map. And honestly, the people who aren't shipping seem genuinely annoyed that they can't or don't feel like it's a good idea to ship.

And thanks ... I'm sure it'll work out. Things will get better when ship happens!
Kontrabasstuba

Post by Kontrabasstuba »

Good morning from Germany,
this is the official statement from DHL:

USA:
At this time, transport capacities to the US are considerably reduced. In light of this, special measures are required in order to maintain mail and parcel service. Please note that effective September 15, 2020, we will ship some products to the US via ocean freight until further notice. As a result, very lengthy transit times of at least 25 to 30 days should be expected. For destinations in the western United States or in remote regions, the transit time may be considerably longer.

https://www.dhl.de/en/privatkunden/kamp ... s.html#usa
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks for the information! Is DHL the only real option? Or can Deutsche Post, FedEx, etc do it differently?

In April, it took about 2 months for me to get a mouthpiece from Denmark. Slow, but it got here, and there's no concern about damage. For an instrument to be out of physical control for 30+ days ... And on a boat... Makes me nervous...
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

It's all a diabolical plot to delay ballots and disenfranchise the underserved!! :gaah:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Three Valves wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:37 am It's all a diabolical plot to delay ballots and disenfranchise the underserved!! :gaah:
Shawn
Has thanked: 0

Post by Shawn »

Three random thoughts.

Thomann says they are shipping.
They use UPS to Canada. Not sure about USA.

DHL is, IIRC, government owned through the German post office.

All the shippers in this space (Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc.) have been able to raise prices in virus times.
Government postal services worldwide have been slow because their workspaces were not originally geared for the sudden need for social distancing of staff, and for the likes of Fedex, now every week is the week before Christmas.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I don't get the continuing quarantine thing; never got some of it anyway. They said to clean all surfaces repeatedly but that purchased food was safe. Um? Some magic glow on food that viruses won't approach? Or since we haven't seen people dropping like flies from touching their groceries, the whole surface thing to me seems quite iffy. (and I have not cleaned surfaces in my house, ever; my hands after being out and about, yes.) The airborne thing seems legitimate, given the clusters when people are together in groups breathing on each other. I let the mail sit for 24 hours, having used gloves to bring it inside, and to date have not appeared to have a problem with the 24 hour rule. So letting all packages sit in quarantine for two weeks or longer (in multiple countries!) seems a bit of overkill. Even if someone sneezed on it, it should by all evidence I've seen, be ok in 24 hours. Either that or I'm one of those asymptomatic Typhoid Virus people.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Some of it could be quarantine, but I think the other side of it is reduced capacity...

Keeping indoor occupancy at 25-50% and 6 feet apart from other people will slow things down considerably.

Beyond that, the virus is what it is... I'll leave it at that!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann,
You are not supposed to question illogic.
Rather, you are supposed to accept it, ...oh: and be frightened.