mouthpiece for a Cerveny

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Cameron
Has thanked: 0

mouthpiece for a Cerveny

Post by Cameron »

I have a Cerveny 641 E-flat 4-valve tuba, and I'm using a standard shank mouthpiece with an adaptor. Without the adaptor, the mouthpiece shank slides almost completely into the receiver. When I measure the small end of the adaptor, my calipers measure very close to 0.550", which according to Matt Walters' enlightening information page from 2005, a large shank mouthpiece would be more appropriate for the tuba. Any comments on this from any of you?

Does anyone know what would have been the original mouthpiece that came with these tubas?

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: mouthpiece for a Cerveny

Post by LeMark »

I used a cerveny adaptor for years with my piggy. I sold that horn with the adaptor and found that they were not available anymore, and ever since then I've been using a euro shank with it. it's OK, slight wobble, but it's not bad
Yep, I'm Mark
Cameron
Has thanked: 0

Post by Cameron »

I had a piggy as well, for a few years. Used standard shank mouthpieces with it. I wonder if some markets got different sized receivers installed on their shipments.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

It has more to do with the vintage of the instrument
Yep, I'm Mark
hrender

Post by hrender »

Old Cerveny mouthpieces occasionally turn up on eBay and might be worth a try. Likewise some mouthpiece manufacturers (e.g. Tilz) still make adapters, although none of them may be identical to the old Cerveny ones. The last of those I saw for sale were when Matt Walters was clearing out stock from Dillon's.

I usually handle mouthpiece fit issues with plumber's teflon tape, and it seems to work okay.