Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Vinyl bell rim tubing?

Post by LeMark »

I would use it on my Adams if I could find a way to make it stay on.
Yep, I'm Mark
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I usually keep one on my Eastman to prevent a hint of after-ring and to protect the rim. But it has a tendency to come off when I am taking the tuba in and out of my gig bag, so it's currently off. I've found that, for me (and this may very well be tuba voo-doo), it helps center pitches by an extra 5% while also making the sound about 5% less resonant. Dillon's threw it in with the tuba when I bought it, and had they not, I wouldn't have bothered with getting one. It's a complete vinyl circle and not a straight piece of tubing.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

have some...grew weary of 'em...have no idea where they are, now...

It's a thing that - decades ago - followed shortly after the "let's put something around the bell below the thumb ring to protect the lacquer" thing

Considering that these plastic rings don't stay in place, if someone really doesn't want their bell to touch the floor, a round piece of short-pile carpet (an inch in diameter larger than the bell) will probably fit in most any case or sack.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I bought a length of that to put on the Star bell for those venues where it would be on concrete otherwise. But I have no idea how to get a straight cut in it and it is just lying around somewhere in the garage. I would be amazed if it has any effect on the sound; it's just a piece of plastic.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

We need a formula (come on engineers !!!) that takes into account the wave distortion at the end of the bell, the CFM's, the acoustics of the room, and all that jazz... oh yeah: and the $h!tt!ne$$ of me, the operator. :bugeyes:
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

I have owned and otherwise played several instruments over the decades that had an inordinate amount of bell after-ring that was damped effectively by a length of tubing slit lengthwise and fitted over the bell rim without affecting tone or response of the instrument. I have also played instruments that did not need such an appliance.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
gwwilk

Post by gwwilk »

For what it's worth, my Rudolf-Meinl Bayreuth BBb came with a vinyl bell rim tubing, and I've left it on. I never set it on its bell, though, so keeping it there isn't a problem. At the very least it serves as a tiny bumper should the bell rim contact something hard, like another bell.
Best regards,
Jerry Wilkins
Wu299

Post by Wu299 »

I bought my Willson with one.

I have never noticed it affecting the sound in any way. All it does is protect the bell edge. Therefore I left it on and don't intend to remove it.

Would I look for one if I didn't already have one? No.
hrender

Post by hrender »

My Gnagey had a Sam-installed ring of vinyl tubing that stayed put over several years of ownership. It went with the horn when I sold it. I've since then thought about putting one on my other horns, but I'm leery of resting either of them on their bells. Dan Schneider had a little widget he made to slit the tubing in a straight line (easily the biggest challenge in making one) that was basically a block of wood with a hole drilled through it and an x-acto blade sticking into the hole.
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

I use them on all my tubas, entirely for bell protection purposes. On one of my horns, I initially noticed some effect on resonance, but not much. Never know where I’m going to play, and I’d rather prevent unnecessary scratches if I can help it. Have to take care of our tools!
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
BramJ

Post by BramJ »

My Besson 794 had tubing around the bell when I got it, but the fit was a bit loose and I had the idea that it rattled a bit sometimes so I removed it.
My latest acquisition, a modified Amati 451 F-tuba had it as well and pretty much the first thing I did was remove it, so when I saw this topic I instantly voted "nay" but reading more I decided to put it back on, it is a very tight fit and I think installing it removed a little ring in the bell.

I guess it helps to protect the bell as well, I am one of those barbarians that puts tuba's down on the bell :teeth:
GC

Post by GC »

My MW25 that I bought around 1971 had a bell ring. It was supposedly there to prevent bell ringing. I took it off to try it out, and couldn't tell much difference. I put it back on, but it never wanted to stay on until I glued the ends together.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

I bought a horn with some on the bell. When I removed it, the brass had pitted.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

iiipopes wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:25 pm I have owned and otherwise played several instruments over the decades that had an inordinate amount of bell after-ring that was damped effectively by a length of tubing slit lengthwise and fitted over the bell rim without affecting tone or response of the instrument. I have also played instruments that did not need such an appliance.
So how did you slit that lengthwise? I tried once and the cut looked like a drunken snake's path.
jonesbrass

Post by jonesbrass »

https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_bell_ring_42cm.htm
I got mine from Thomann. Buy them a little on the small side, then heat with a blow dryer to make them stretch to fit.
Willson 3050S CC, Willson 3200S F, B&S PT-10, BMB 6/4 CC, Yamaclone JFF-303
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Why don't you guys just fill a garbage can lid with Plasti Dip?
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Mary Ann wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:57 pm
iiipopes wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:25 pm I have owned and otherwise played several instruments over the decades that had an inordinate amount of bell after-ring that was damped effectively by a length of tubing slit lengthwise and fitted over the bell rim without affecting tone or response of the instrument. I have also played instruments that did not need such an appliance.
So how did you slit that lengthwise? I tried once and the cut looked like a drunken snake's path.
I'm tempted to say very carefully. But seriously folks....
I have a friend hold one end and I slowly slit it with an exacto knife. Remember to multiply the rim diameter as measured, not the nominal bell diameter, by pi to get the proper length, then add an inch where you cut it to allow for the tubing to shrink over time because you do have to hold some tension on the tubing to make a straight cut. Most vinyl tubing does have some imprinting on it, and that can function as a guide. I prefer the size 3/16 inch i.d. / 5/16 inch o.d. for most applications.
These users thanked the author iiipopes for the post:
Mary Ann (Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:24 pm)
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

You can make a tubing slitter by drilling an appropriately-sized hole in a board, sawing down to the hole from the edge, then putting a utility knife blade into the saw kerf such that the blade is part way into the hole. If you clamp down on the kerf with a vise it all stays put. Then pull your tubing through the hole. It will be cut cleanly and accurately as long as you don't let the tubing twist when you feed the tubing in. This method beats trying to do it by hand and you won't lose any blood cells in the process.

I put slit vinyl tubing on all my tubas. I just hate the sound of the bell scraping on cement and I don't play well enough to be able to notice any difference in my sound. Some people I play with use carpet squares to set their horn down on.

re: "acoustical adjustments" - When I was a senior in high school a bazillion years ago we had brand new Miraphone BBb's. One of the section members was a real a-hole. One day he found out he could bounce the horn on it's bell. He did that one time too many and his bell wrinkled all the way up to the lead pipe. I wanted to kill him. When the band director found out, he was in immediately in study hall the rest of the semester and never spent another day in band. These days his parents would have whined and complained to the principle and admin would have caved, but back then the teacher was allowed to do the right thing.
Last edited by LibraryMark on Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author LibraryMark for the post (total 2):
bloke (Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:26 am) • York-aholic (Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:07 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

To follow up my joke comment, I like the idea of those bands going around tuba bells, but they don't stay on my instruments. I guess I'm clumsy.