Brass band tuba music (almost) has it right...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Brass band tuba music (almost) has it right...

Post by bloke »

Of course, it's way too late for this (ie. a 15vab treble clef for tuba music).
All of the published music/parts over the last 150 years, etc...

...but/and - unarguably - the treble clef is the predominant clef of western music...so (well...) tuba players (whose first encounter with written music is in beginner band clef) would have been able to read a huge percentage of other written western music - without having to go back and learn treble clef. :smilie6:

...OK... Check this out:
treble clef 15vab.jpg
treble clef 15vab.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Last edited by bloke on Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eeferman

Re: Brass band tuba music (almost) has it right...

Post by eeferman »

Learning the soprano recorder was my gateway to the treble clef world. It greatly expanded my musical horizons,
These users thanked the author eeferman for the post:
bloke (Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:56 pm)
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

British Brass Band music already does that, with the open note being notated middle C - one ledger line below the staff. This is related, because it sets forth the purpose of using transposed treble clef notation: group lessons. In order to teach enough people to play in a band, which was developed so factories could have something for their workers and family to do instead of just soaking at the pub, brass bands were developed in the mid 19th century. The names of the bands may now be truncated, and others have arisen along the way, but it is the origin. For example, the following band names (with the name of the factory):
Black Dyke (Mills)
Grimethorpe (Colliery)
Fodens (Motor Works)
More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... rass_bands
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

iiipopes wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:07 pm British Brass Band music already does that, with the open note being notated middle C - one ledger line below the staff. This is related, because it sets forth the purpose of using transposed treble clef notation: group lessons. In order to teach enough people to play in a band, which was developed so factories could have something for their workers and family to do instead of just soaking at the pub, brass bands were developed in the mid 19th century. The names of the bands may now be truncated, and others have arisen along the way, but it is the origin. For example, the following band names (with the name of the factory):
Black Dyke (Mills)
Grimethorpe (Colliery)
Fodens (Motor Works)

You're sort of agreeing and arguing with me at the same time. Did you read my post slowly enough to get the whole thing?
BramJ

Post by BramJ »

I guess he didn't read the topic title ;)

I like the British brass band system, although I am now in the process of learning bass clef F fingerings to get access to more music.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

If you play an Eb Tuba with four valves then you get that symmetry in the bass clef. The note names change and key signature changes (from transposed treble clef).

Did Brass Bands get it right using the transposed treble clef system? Well it works rather well for the thousands of folk that use it …
What about Orchestras and Wind Bands? Good question, but my recollection of Bass Clef on the Trombone was many ledger lines of confusion, YMMV.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

bloke wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:57 pm
iiipopes wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:07 pm British Brass Band music already does that, with the open note being notated middle C - one ledger line below the staff. This is related, because it sets forth the purpose of using transposed treble clef notation: group lessons. In order to teach enough people to play in a band, which was developed so factories could have something for their workers and family to do instead of just soaking at the pub, brass bands were developed in the mid 19th century. The names of the bands may now be truncated, and others have arisen along the way, but it is the origin. For example, the following band names (with the name of the factory):
Black Dyke (Mills)
Grimethorpe (Colliery)
Fodens (Motor Works)

You're sort of agreeing and arguing with me at the same time. Did you read my post slowly enough to get the whole thing?
Yes. Pointing out both the similarities and the differences in BBB and your OP.
These users thanked the author iiipopes for the post:
bloke (Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:17 pm)
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic