Oktoberfest Tunes/B&S Symphonie

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Re: Oktoberfest Tunes/B&S Symphonie

Post by Doc »

sdloveless wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:53 am I had one of these playing last night when my wife walked in the room. She normally doesn't have much to say about the music I listen to, but she did then. "Wow! That tuba sounds really nice."
A woman who appreciates the tuba is a keeper!

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
TheBerlinerTuba
specializing in reproductions of historical tubas and restorations

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

Einwandfrei! So klingt eine echte Symphonie :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :tuba:
Doc

Post by Doc »

TheBerlinerTuba wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:39 pm Einwandfrei! So klingt eine echte Symphonie :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :tuba:
Vielen dank. Es gibt keine besseren!

Doc (Echte kerle spielen Symphonie :teeth: :cheers: )
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
jtm

Post by jtm »

Thanks so much for posting these, Doc. I really enjoyed playing along.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Doc

Post by Doc »

jtm wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:47 pm Thanks so much for posting these, Doc. I really enjoyed playing along.
Thanks. I wish the overall balance was better. Might make for better listening or playing along (and more fun) to hear more of the band.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
jtm

Post by jtm »

Doc wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:12 am
jtm wrote: Thanks so much for posting these, Doc. I really enjoyed playing along.
Thanks. I wish the overall balance was better. Might make for better listening or playing along (and more fun) to hear more of the band.
It might. Or, for playing along by ear without knowing the songs, it might be good that the tuba is so easy to hear. Either way, I enjoyed it.
John Morris
Doc

Post by Doc »

jtm wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:29 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:12 am
jtm wrote: Thanks so much for posting these, Doc. I really enjoyed playing along.
It might. Or, for playing along by ear without knowing the songs, it might be good that the tuba is so easy to hear. Either way, I enjoyed it.
:thumbsup: Kinda like a barbershop learning tape.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
humBell

Post by humBell »

Made me think of the Black and Blue Danube Waltz bit from Spike Jones' record on the merits of High Fidelity (which looking up on youtube is entitled "Dinner music for people who aren't very hungry" (our copy growing up had lost its sleeve so i didn't know) and the bit is 4 minutes in. There's also a video of the piece, though the record and video are not identical)

And really the music was wonderful. Not often these days one gets to hear the Too Fat Polka, nor the Happy Wanderer, both of which have associations for me from my youth.
These users thanked the author humBell for the post:
Doc (Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:48 am)
"All art is one." -Hal
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Beyond the fine playing ... There are events where you can go to watch this music be played? In (or out!) of a pandemic? God Bless Texas!
Doc

Post by Doc »

humBell wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:53 am Made me think of the Black and Blue Danube Waltz bit from Spike Jones' record on the merits of High Fidelity (which looking up on youtube is entitled "Dinner music for people who aren't very hungry" (our copy growing up had lost its sleeve so i didn't know) and the bit is 4 minutes in. There's also a video of the piece, though the record and video are not identical)

And really the music was wonderful. Not often these days one gets to hear the Too Fat Polka, nor the Happy Wanderer, both of which have associations for me from my youth.
Spike Jones had super musicians. You can’t pull off the things he did without guys who can really play. And it’s fun stuff.

Some folks today can’t enjoy the humor of Too Fat Polka. We are no Spike Jones, but so far, no one ever complains when we play it. We always pitch “the next song” to the audience as a love song, take your partner’s hand, look them in the in the eye, song of incredible love, meaning, endearment, etc (really build it up as a love song). Then the song starts and out comes “Oh I don’t want her, you can have her, she’s too fat for me.” Everyone has bought the hook, the joke is on them, and they all laugh.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:03 am Beyond the fine playing ... There are events where you can go to watch this music be played? In (or out!) of a pandemic? God Bless Texas!
In a normal year, Oktoberfest events are everywhere down here. Some of them draw massive crowds. Many have canceled because of Coronamadness. But with Texans refusing to be defeated by a virus, a few of the smaller festivals are still taking place here, all of which BTW had plans that were approved by the state. And we’ve had no reported cases due/related to attending any of these events.

I don’t know about any other states, but there doesn’t appear to be much going on with music of any kind. I hope that changes soon for musicians, listeners, and dancers everywhere.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
jtm

Post by jtm »

I went through these again today, trying to pretend that it's not still much too hot in central Texas for Oktoberfest. It didn't work....

But it did work to play along on a rotary F tuba. I had an easier time matching the sound* and style than when I tried a bigger tuba.

* (I can't ever really match the Symphonie)
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
Doc (Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:56 pm)
John Morris
Tubeast

Post by Tubeast »

I haven´t listened to all of these, but clicked on several throughout the playlist.

Joyful, pleasant music, haven´t heard these in a while.
“Oompah”- style is resonant and not too short (would “buoyant” be a good term?) so tuba won´t be mistaken for a bass drum.
This gives both space and substance for musical rendition:
Constant and reliable playing, but not static/sterile.
I associate this with the way you´d navigate a curvy road with a large motorcycle: Lean in and let the throttle shape the path you take.

I like the occasions where You switch back and forth between Oompah-style and walking-bass passages, occasionally.

16th runs are lightfooted, run like a string of pearls (NOT the Glenn Miller title) and synchronous to the accordion, which has totally different mechanical tendencies.
Plus, they´re tastefully sprinkled over the duration of the titles and you never fail to return back to where the tuba belongs.

I´m impressed, Doc. Great job.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Tubeast wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:50 am I haven´t listened to all of these, but clicked on several throughout the playlist.

Joyful, pleasant music, haven´t heard these in a while.
“Oompah”- style is resonant and not too short (would “buoyant” be a good term?) so tuba won´t be mistaken for a bass drum.
This gives both space and substance for musical rendition:
Constant and reliable playing, but not static/sterile.
I associate this with the way you´d navigate a curvy road with a large motorcycle: Lean in and let the throttle shape the path you take.

I like the occasions where You switch back and forth between Oompah-style and walking-bass passages, occasionally.

16th runs are lightfooted, run like a string of pearls (NOT the Glenn Miller title) and synchronous to the accordion, which has totally different mechanical tendencies.
Plus, they´re tastefully sprinkled over the duration of the titles and you never fail to return back to where the tuba belongs.

I´m impressed, Doc. Great job.
Thank you for the kind words.

Some tunes have more of a Minnesota/Wisconsin style bass line, some more blasmusik, and sometimes they join forces. I just hope it serves the music.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

jtm wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:36 pm I went through these again today, trying to pretend that it's not still much too hot in central Texas for Oktoberfest. It didn't work....

But it did work to play along on a rotary F tuba. I had an easier time matching the sound* and style than when I tried a bigger tuba.

* (I can't ever really match the Symphonie)
The Symphonie sure does make a nice sound.

I’m playing in Round Top this weekend🔥🔥🔥, and I will be bringing my #1 fan:
F950ABD4-2BAE-44D6-BA3D-88762E1FDD86.jpeg
F950ABD4-2BAE-44D6-BA3D-88762E1FDD86.jpeg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 821 times
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
jtm (Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:16 am)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
groovlow

Post by groovlow »

My Lasko blower is on of the most valuable pieces of musical gear i own.
Great for DB and electric bass, keeps the callouses DRY, Tubawork, blower keeps me dry :smilie7:
Oktoberfest in Nashville ranges from freezing, cold, to hot sweat saturated.
All in a days fun,
Enjoy :smilie8:
Joe H
These users thanked the author groovlow for the post:
Doc (Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:20 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I don't remember this post from earlier when it originated. If buying a Symphonie would have me play like that, I'd get one. Really great job!!
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
Doc (Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:21 pm)