5th rotor for BB flat Mirafone 186?

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
Kctuba

5th rotor for BB flat Mirafone 186?

Post by Kctuba »

What size rotor would you use for a 5th valve add on and does anyone have one??? I’m receiving a used 186 this week, and if it plays like I hope it will, I would like to add a 5th on it in the near future. The horn is an early 70’s late 60’s…….

KCMO free lance musician and teacher
Band Director NKC Schools
Besson 982
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: 5th rotor for BB flat Mirafone 186?

Post by bloke »

Miraphone claims a .772" bore, but probably/actually a three-plus thousandths smaller bore.

Moot, if ordered from Miraphone, because it will be theirs - so it will be the correct bore size.
For B-FLAT tuba, I would recommend an adjusted SEMI-tone with a 5-inch-or-so pull, and well-aligned.
5-4 can be used to play low E spot-on in tune and (assuming 4th valve C is flatter than 4th valve low F) 5-1-3 can be used to play B-natural spot-on in tune.
With the recommended set-up, 5-2-4 (pulling the 5th slide out about 4 inches) offers a spot-on low E-flat, and then your D (2-3-4) doesn't involve the 5th valve.

Hopefully, you have enough straight pipe (in the mouthpipe tube - above the 1st rotor) to add a 5th rotor without having to change up anything.

(The reason I don't believe that you do not need an adjusted WHOLE tone length is because a B-flat tuba ALREADY offers a very nice low F - which is the main reason for that length on a C instrument, so you can then move on to the NEXT-worse/worst problem - using the length I suggest - which is the sharp 2-4 combination...which - with an adjusted WHOLE-tone 5th valve - is FLAT...ie. 5-2-3 would be FLAT.)

I have no idea how busy I'm going to be this winter, and I have no idea what your opinion might be of this advice I'm offering, but I think it would be fun to install that on a 186.
Kctuba

Re: 5th rotor for BB flat Mirafone 186?

Post by Kctuba »

I just received the instrument and it is fantastic. It is a 1970 model 186. It plays well with the lead pipe that has been rigged upon it. But I think I definitely would like to replace it with a Truman Mirafone lead pipe. Where would you recommend? I begin looking for a lead pipe with a receiver on it? Is that a direct to Miraphone thing or should I try Badger?
These users thanked the author Kctuba for the post:
bloke (Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:46 pm)
KCMO free lance musician and teacher
Band Director NKC Schools
Besson 982