Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

arpthark

Re: New Laskey “18” equivalent?

Post by arpthark »

the Laskey website wrote:The Laskey Protégé Tuba Mouthpiece follows in the footsteps of the iconic Laskey 30H, renowned as one of the most popular tuba mouthpieces ever made. We took the 30H and reduced the rim to a "27" inner diameter, making it a 27H and in doing so, a mouthpiece that supports the embouchure development of beginner and emerging tuba players. Crafted from 360 free-machining brass, the Laskey Protégé Tuba Mouthpiece is finished with a two-tone buffing treatment that polishes the rim for comfort and flexibility, while leaving the body of the mouthpiece with a satin look and feel. Plated with a triple-strike process of copper, silver and bright silver, the Protégé is ready for centre stage.
Cutting through the ad-speak a bit,

Laskey Global = made in China, I am guessing.

"two-tone buffing treatment that [...] leav[es] the body of the mouthpiece with a satin look and feel" = workers don't have to spend time buffing the whole mouthpiece to a shiny finish, so it's cheaper.

The skeptic in me wonders if these are just the same old no-name, unmarked Bach 18 copies that come with all the Jin Bao tubas, but with a different exterior milling.
Blake
donn

Post by donn »

arpthark wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:24 am The skeptic in me wonders if these are just the same old no-name, unmarked Bach 18 copies that come with all the Jin Bao tubas, but with a different exterior milling.
What specific differences would this make? Since they'd be manufactured somewhat separately, it seems likely Laskey could contractually specify their dimensional consistency requirements. Copy is copy; China is China ...
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

I have met and talked with the Laskey rep for the northeastern US on at least four separate occasions, and unless something has changed in the last few months, Laskey mouthpieces are made in Canada..... not China.
Just FYI.
dsfinley

Post by dsfinley »

As a band director I can’t see myself recommending this mouthpiece over some cheaper options just for a middle school student to destroy in a year. Might be good for an adult beginner. Might even be the perfect fit for some people and their instruments. But I’m skeptical of the “student” model marketing.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Paulver wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:14 am I have met and talked with the Laskey rep for the northeastern US on at least four separate occasions, and unless something has changed in the last few months, Laskey mouthpieces are made in Canada..... not China.
Just FYI.
I know the main line is, but I wonder about this new "Global" line.
Blake
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

I've texted the Laskey rep for a definitive answer. I'll let you all know as soon as I hear back from her.
These users thanked the author Paulver for the post:
arpthark (Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:07 pm)
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

Just heard back from the Laskey rep. She says that as far as she knows, all mouthpieces are made at their Vancouver, Canada facility.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »