Norwegian star search

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LeMark
Site Admin

Norwegian star search

Post by LeMark »

I'm enjoying the new York Eb. I think it's good, even though the low range is a little blurry when pushed, I'm very happy with how it plays. The intonation is better than expected, and I'm having fun practicing again.

But it's no Norwegian Star. What is? I've played large bore /small bell rotor horns my entire life, and it's hard to make myself fall in love with something that is the exact opposite of those

So here's the plan, practice the york like crazy and see if how I adjust to what it needs, and also strengthen and root myself as an Eb player

2nd, keep an eye out for a better deal on a NS than just buying one new. If I find one, I can jump on it just about any point if it's deal

3rd, at some point in the next year I might start selling off some horns I'm not using, possibly even both of my CC tubas, a couple euphoniums, and my bass trombone. (not sure about the adams, it's too darn good). I think I have enough to come Close to what a new NS would cost if I couldn't find a deal on a used NS.

So keep your eyes open for me please, if you see a deal on a used one, I would appreciate a heads up. It's been my favorite goal tuba for years, but until now I never seriously thought about making myself an everyday Eb player
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 2):
MN_TimTuba (Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:39 pm) • TheBerlinerTuba (Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:15 pm)

Yep, I'm Mark
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Norwegian star search

Post by LeMark »

If I was in the market to buy a brand new one, I would buy that one instead, but when I say a deal I really mean something 8,000 or less. I've seen them come up for that before and that is the kind of deal I would jump on today
Yep, I'm Mark
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

The St. Pete rotary Eb I played years ago was awesome; wonderful sound, great low range and it felt like piston tuba playability with rotary tuba sound. Might be worth a look, I bet it would remind you of your Cerveny's. I didn't care for either of the Stars fwiw. 🤷
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I've played both of those and found them to play well, but with too thin a tone. Looking for more oomph
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

It's amazing how scarce the Stars have become, and maybe they always were and I've just been lucky. The Lights -- you see them all over the place in stock for sale. I did not like the Light; it had little character and no use for me, but we have to admit that Baadsvik plays the hell out of it.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

It's probably two things... Eb tubas just aren't that popular to begin with

And they are amazing tubas, and when people buy them, they hold onto them (or they regret it and quickly buy another one...)
Yep, I'm Mark
TheHatTuba

Post by TheHatTuba »

Also, I'd imagine most Ebs sold are compensating, classic 3+1 and 983. 4+1 Eb is a small market for sure.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Hey-ooooooi

Keep my eyes open for you!

These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
LeMark (Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:02 am)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

brilliant
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

TheHatTuba wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:40 am Also, I'd imagine most Ebs sold are compensating, classic 3+1 and 983. 4+1 Eb is a small market for sure.
You're not wrong, but it's interesting that my favorite Eb's of all time
Willson 3400s
Norwegian star
@UncleBeer's custom Eb
Are all 4+1
Yep, I'm Mark
TheHatTuba

Post by TheHatTuba »

Imo, the 3400 feels the most "right" as far as the Willson concept (tank) goes.
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

TheHatTuba wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:27 pm Imo, the 3400 feels the most "right" as far as the Willson concept (tank) goes.
The small Wilson Eb is a blast to play, almost feels like playing a great vintage small Eb, but it still has that 50lb Wilson sound.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

And leaves a 50lb dent in your legs
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I've been playing at least a couple hours a day recently, about half in the york Eb and half on my small Cerveny CC.

The cerveny is a better tuba, but there is no doubt the advantage of an Eb above the staff. I can hit the same notes on the CC, and I was even playing morning song with the double Bb's in both horns , but the slotting of the high notes was obviously easier on the york.

Part of the debate is I'm preparing for a recital, so I'm playing different music than I would normally concern myself with. It's a great motivating factor for getting in shape, but what happens after that?

I will go back to occasionally playing my student's all state music for them, playing a few orchestra gigs a year, and that's about it. I play euphonium in a band with my wife, so I don't even have that, and even if I played tuba in the band, it probably wouldn't be on an Eb

What I think I'm trying to say is while I want a Norwegian star, and I can afford a Norwegian star, but I would be so mad at myself for spending 8 to 11k on a dust collector after my recital. It's been 32 years since my last one, and if it's another 32 years, I would be dead before that happens

The weirdest thing is this cerveny CC shares a nearly identical bell and bottom bow with the Norwegian star, so if would be possible to convert a horn like this to Eb if I could get an upper branch and the part that goes from the main tuning slide to the branch from miraphone. That would be a fun Frankentuba project, but I wouldn't chop up this tuba, I would have to find another one in worse condition
Yep, I'm Mark
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

And the gears are turning....[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

If you can afford it and it’ll make you happy to have it, I’d say go for it.

If you have it, you’ll use it, and they’re rare enough that you’ll constantly be waiting for one that may or may not come up in your price range.

If it were me, and I had a WANT but not NEED horn, I’d find ways to use it, even if just picking it up at home for an hour or so a day. That’s what I do now, at least.

Food for thought.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I'm just so happy I have the two outlets I do with mine -- the local brass band, which is MUCH better this year than last year, and the TE quartet I finally got going a month or so ago. Both those are Eb tuba heavens, and having the Eb I do makes them even more heavenly than otherwise.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Would I prefer to find a tuba at a very low price?
...of course.

It a tuba is in absolutely new condition, and (occasionally, having access to dealer cost) would I look at a ten-year-old tuba in new condition (no red-rot, etc.) that's in absolutely new condition - were it that I was very strongly desiring to acquire that model?
...I would.

Musical instruments are not about "year model/age".
Musical instruments are about
- condition
- playing characteristics

with those being equally and of the utmost importance.
Last edited by bloke on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Oh if I found a bargain, let's say $7000 give or take. (there was one for sale for $6000 a couple years ago that I missed out on) I would 100% jump on without even having to have a "family discussion" about it

11k plus tax for a new one? Under my current playing requirements, nope
Yep, I'm Mark