Repairing an old satin silver Besson euphonium for Grandpa to give to a grandson

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
bloke
Mid South Music

Repairing an old satin silver Besson euphonium for Grandpa to give to a grandson

Post by bloke »

Yeah, I removed all the dents - and all that mess - and I put it in the acid and then I rinsed it off and then I put it in the silver brightener - and all that mess - and rinsed it off...

... but I decided that it needed to have the intermediate size receiver bored out to large shank, so a kid could use it. I took the receiver off and soldered it to the outside slide tube of a busted off trumpet mouthpipe - so I'd have a handle. I even had the finger hook there to help me hold it better.

All I'm really posting about is that I got to use my Jarno reamer in my lathe that's up to a half inch and then the other one that's a half inch and larger. It was just nice - after the whole summer of just whacking on school horns - to actually get back to using the lathe a little bit and feeling metal being turned off of a round object. I forgot that it was sort of pleasant, and it is.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
Dents Be Gone! (Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:16 pm) • York-aholic (Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:02 pm)

York-aholic

Re: Repairing an old satin silver Besson euphonium for Grandpa to give to a grandson

Post by York-aholic »

I find turning long curls off of a nice piece of maple on my wood lathe to be quite therapeutic, so I understand what you’re saying.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
bloke (Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:53 pm)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Mary Ann

Re: Repairing an old satin silver Besson euphonium for Grandpa to give to a grandson

Post by Mary Ann »

bloke wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:04 pm .....in I put it in the silver brightener - and all that mess - and rinsed it off...
And what, pray tell, is the "silver brightener" that you put it in (not on) and rinsed off?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:43 pm
bloke wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:04 pm .....in I put it in the silver brightener - and all that mess - and rinsed it off...
And what, pray tell, is the "silver brightener" that you put it in (not on) and rinsed off?
I actually put on rubber gloves and sponged it on.
It's a rotten-eggs/sulfur-smelling milky chemical which dissolves silver oxide.
It's purchased from a chemical supply place (not otc).

I've done a bit of polishing (just using Wright's) after having dissolved the silver oxide chemically.
It's to this stage, now.
Polishing the valve section will require using some supports and hooking it to the ceiling with some wires.

I wouldn't have been able to strip the old-old silver enamel paint from it, were it not for a friend who still had some paint stripper left from before Al Gore - et al - ruined everything. I forgot how amazingly well/fast that stuff works/worked.

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:04 pm
Mary Ann wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:43 pm
I actually put on rubber gloves and sponged it on.
It's a rotten-eggs/sulfur-smelling milky chemical which dissolves silver oxide.
It's purchased from a chemical supply place (not otc).

I've done a bit of polishing (just using Wright's) after having dissolved the silver oxide chemically.
It's to this stage, now.
Polishing the valve section will require using some supports and hooking it to the ceiling with some wires.

I wouldn't have been able to strip the old-old silver enamel paint from it, were it not for a friend who still had some paint stripper left from before Al Gore - et al - ruined everything. I forgot how amazingly well/fast that stuff works/worked.

Wow, Grandpa's old satin silver Besson euphonium is sure lookin' funny these days. I think you might have stretched it out a bit.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:09 pmWow, Grandpa's old satin silver Besson euphonium is sure lookin' funny these days. I think you might have stretched it out a bit.
Yep. The euphonium is long gone, but I used the same technique with this thing that I'm currently trying to clean up.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
arpthark (Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:30 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:16 pm
arpthark wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:09 pmWow, Grandpa's old satin silver Besson euphonium is sure lookin' funny these days. I think you might have stretched it out a bit.
Yep. The euphonium is long gone, but I used the same technique with this thing that I'm currently trying to clean up.
I figured. Just kiddin'.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
bloke (Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:56 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

known :teeth:
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

bloke wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:04 pm It's a rotten-eggs/sulfur-smelling milky chemical which dissolves silver oxide.
Wouldn't be similar to Tarn-X, would it? I also know of stuff called "Empire" that works like this.
TheHatTuba

Post by TheHatTuba »

Tarn-X sure smells the part
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yeah. I've had it so long I just forgot the name and brand of it.