NEW/decades-old stock Miraphone 16-1/2" 186 bell...NEVER installed w/kranz NO serial #

For Tuba/Euphonium retail products and services.

Moderator: Retail Partner

bloke
Mid South Music

NEW/decades-old stock Miraphone 16-1/2" 186 bell...NEVER installed w/kranz NO serial #

Post by bloke »

I was saving this back for MYSELF (if I ever decided to build myself another 186 C.

Since I sold (to Bill) probably the best-playing 186 C on the planet, I probably won't ever end up building one for myself.

A local private school - every few years - purchases yet another 186 from me.

I have a good-condition old (no kranz) 186S bell that I COULD use, and also this nearly-perfect vintage bell (with kranz).

From long-time storage, there is one very small bump in the rim (pictured) and two or three hallow/soft depressions - which I will remove prior to sale as if this bell was to be installed on an instrument for my own use (ie. my very best efforts).

Before I stick this nearly-perfect condition/never-used kranz bell on a school tuba to sell, I'm going to offer it up for sale at a (ok. sure...) high price, and see if anyone is interested in having a new/vintage 16-1/2" bell (as a possible replacement) for their own instrument.

This is no special-order/recently-made bell. This bell predates the 17-3/4" bells - though I do not know by how much. It's likely not from the 1960's as the seam is concentric/horizontal. A wild/best guess would be that it might be a half-century old.

Someone (crayon? marker?) wrote "BBb" on the bell ages ago. It's quite faded from age. I haven't noticed a difference in the bells for the two versions, but (maybe?) there is/was a subtle difference, and/or maybe (??) the original buyer marked it that way, as "BBb" is what they ordered for their stock...(??)

$3000 buys it immediately, and I'm willing to look at any offers.
I'd prefer that it be picked up.
I don't like shipping fragile/non-replaceable things, and "worry" them all the way to their destinations.
WERE I to ship it, but buyer MUST agree that it becomes THEIR property, THEIR risk, and THEIR liability - once I hand it off to some agreed-upon shipper.

So far, this is the first/only place that I've offered it up.

The Big Ben

Re: NEW/decades-old stock Miraphone 16-1/2" 186 bell...NEVER installed w/kranz NO serial #

Post by The Big Ben »

Love being able to see those joints!
These users thanked the author The Big Ben for the post:
bloke (Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:44 pm)
bort2.0

Re: NEW/decades-old stock Miraphone 16-1/2" 186 bell...NEVER installed w/kranz NO serial #

Post by bort2.0 »

Makes me think of Wade, and his old Miraphones. Whatever happened to him, anyway?
matt g

Post by matt g »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:26 pm Makes me think of Wade, and his old Miraphones. Whatever happened to him, anyway?
I think Wade is still keeping up with the goings on around here but is also staying focused on what’s important to him right now.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
bort2.0 (Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:57 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I would polish up this bell (no lacquering...which would be burned anyway - when someone installed it...)

...but the polishing would be to check for an address very small (previously unnoticed "storage dents").
TheHatTuba

Post by TheHatTuba »

Couple random thoughts...
- If a Symphonie/PT-10 fits a 185 bell, what about the JP-15?
- Is a bell enough to un-new-ify a modern 186?
jtm

Post by jtm »

I have a 1965 Bb 186 that could use it, but that seems like kind of a waste. The Yamaha bell it has now works well enough.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

TheHatTuba wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:21 pm Couple random thoughts...
- If a Symphonie/PT-10 fits a 185 bell, what about the JP-15?
- Is a bell enough to un-new-ify a modern 186?
A/ I have a lacquered on the inside and un-lacquered on the outside perfect gold brass pt15 size F tuba bell for sale.

B/ I strongly suspect it would get you pretty far down the road.