New Sousaphone Day!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Toakstertuba

New Sousaphone Day!

Post by Toakstertuba »

Just picked this beauty up last night! I've got a little work I want to have done, but it already sounds amazing as is!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hiw4aasQW1vpNFAH6

Conn Pan American 32K. Serial using the Pan American serials puts it at around 1955. Using the Conn Serial list it puts it from around 1941.

I thought it's interesting it uses the 32K model number which as far as I understand was a Conn specific model ("lightweight" but similar to 14K).

I'd love to hear any knowledge that anyone has to share about this horn. Which serial list is more likely to be correct to determine around when this was made?

It's quite a paint / etching job that somebody did somewhere along the way. The horn is mostly in pretty great shape! One solder job for one of the braces on the lead pipe. Trying to figure out what to do with the first valve. It actually works fine, but as shown it has some pretty major corrosion. I suppose if I get it lapped and it ends up toast, I could source a new first valve... I'll want to get all of the valves aligned with new corks / felts. There seems to be some rubber washers on the "upstroke" that makes the valve visibly bounce when released. Anyone know of a kit I could get that would fit this horn?

Anyways, I just wanted to share my exciting new acquisition and throw out some feelers for any knowledge that anyone is willing to share.

Thanks in advance!
These users thanked the author Toakstertuba for the post (total 2):
bloke (Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:15 pm) • Casca Grossa (Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:27 pm)

Three Valves

Re: New Sousaphone Day!

Post by Three Valves »

WOW!

If you have any Banda gigs or Indian weddings coming up, don't touch a thing. :tuba:

It would be nice if the corrosion can be arrested before it gets worse.

Less is more.
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
Toakstertuba (Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:18 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I associate "32K" with "more sturdy bracing, as might be observed on a 6/4 38K or 20K, yet - otherwise - 14K"

As The World's Most OK Tuba Player (as well as Chief Spokesmodel for The Tubah Goddhh), I strongly approve.

congrats ! :smilie8: :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Toakstertuba (Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:47 pm)
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

That's really pretty. Awesome acquisition.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post:
Toakstertuba (Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:16 pm)
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth: