future cimbasso (classical) outings...Verdi...?? pfft. (NOPE)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

future cimbasso (classical) outings...Verdi...?? pfft. (NOPE)

Post by bloke »

try: Mozart :bugeyes:

' so an even EARLIER classical outing - with this contraption - than when I covered Schubert 9 two years ago
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-dg-2Y4mo ) ...but now, I have the smaller "Shallowberger" mpc., so it's going to be even easier.

but bloke, it was a much smaller trombone

Yes...and so were the E-flat alto trombones, C tenor trombones, woodwinds, volume levels of gut strings, and everything else...
...so (again: yes) even though the first F bass trombones probably didn't appear until shortly after Mozart's death, it's close enough.
After all, these SAME F valved bass trombones (that people claim to be legit to play Italian opera music) aren't a legit application either...so B.F.D.:
I'll play the part, and I'll do a nice job, and the M.D. is likely going to need to ask me to play louder (from time-to-time)...Believe it or not, I can play things other than Jelly Roll Morton, Mahler, Monty Norman, and the Bee Gees on this contraption. After all, our studio teachers made us play Mozart's horn concerti and stuff like this: https://www.cimarronmusic.com/brass/tub ... tubamozart on big fat C and B-flat tubas, did they not? :tuba:

OK...but you're cheating with those valves.
Don't make me play a slide; you wouldn't like me with a slide...

...and no, I wouldn't DARE stick this post/thread on a bass trombone discussion list or fb page...Their uber-criticism (generated - though none of them would admit it - by "a bass trombone player being cut out of a gig") would be a bit too much to take.

Oh yeah...and I'll probably (re: long-@$$ phrases) be able to out-breathe most B-flat slide bass trombonists: Their right arm muscles use up tons of oxygen doing all that mess.

Honestly...I couldn't imagine buying even one of those $2400 ones if the only reason (excuse) for buying one was to play Verdi stuff.
(How many times each year to orchestras program Verdi? ...like: 0.776 times, yes?

https://www.marcoalexander.com/the-artist

Marcus (aka Marco) is extremely talented, and is our principal bass...Besides music, he has his own line of clothing. He's written a tuba part for his interpretation of the Mozart...He asked me whether (contra)bass trombone or tuba. I told him that I'd be glad to play either...and he knows (from being right in the ¹line of fire) how each one sounds...Just uploaded to the musician's webpage, I see that there is a bass trombone part on his version of the "Confutatis Maledictis" movement.

BopEuph

Re: future cimbasso (classical) outings...Verdi...?? pfft. (NOPE)

Post by BopEuph »

You know, I saw some orchestra advertisement on Facebook a couple of days ago with a cimbasso player. I think it was you, and it had your name engraved on the bell. The bell looked huge! Is that a custom horn?
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

BopEuph wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:26 am You know, I saw some orchestra advertisement on Facebook a couple of days ago with a cimbasso player. I think it was you, and it had your name engraved on the bell. The bell looked huge! Is that a custom horn?
It's a regular 10-in Bell, and that lady I believe intentionally came up really close to the bell to make it out of proportion in the picture for effect.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

That's what I thought, but at the same time, it's amazing how the perspective makes it look like it's like 16 inches or something.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.