vintage tuba illness

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Tim Jackson

vintage tuba illness

Post by Tim Jackson »

I have always been fascinated and attracted to antiques. I like Art Deco & the like. This seems to carry over to tubas. I see an old antique tuba and imagine that fixed up it could be the holy grail of tubas - like it would play so smoothly and slurs like magic... that somehow the "old way" is so much better than modern. I've had some really nice tubas (all made after 1960) all really amazing instruments. I did have a pretty BBb 6/4 York - which I loved but it really didn't serve my solo playing well at all. I just ran across a Reynolds recording bass (1960) that somehow has the vintage allure that interests me even if it isn't the 20s-40s era horn that I always ponder over on fleabay. I guess I have already found the best of both worlds - the G50 valve set with a york body. This really does what I want - slurs smooth - great flexibility - cool resonant tone. I still find myself looking at the other women on ebay.

When all is said and done... when I find the horn that plays itself I don't care about age, finish, looks, metal, costs, the rest of the time I still have this vintage attraction.

Besides the resonance of a vintage handmade bell, what are other qualities that make some antique tubas super players? Or, are they just fun to collect and look at and none are really as good as a modern instrument?

If you have had old horns (1920-1950) which ones really stood out as great players?

Just like the beauty/art in old-world stuff!

TJ

Grumpikins

Re: vintage tuba illness

Post by Grumpikins »

I totally agree with you on the mystic allure of old horns. However, I dont expect them to be great players. occassionally, maybe. I hope for acceptable players with a really nice sound.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
TheHatTuba

Post by TheHatTuba »

The minty York 716 I bought several years ago. Sold it to someone on the other forum, now owned by someone on this forum. There's another York that will be a good player too, but it's waiting in line to get prettied up :tuba:

From the title, I thought you caught some early 20th century respiratory disease from playing a dirty old tuba :bugeyes:
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thicker metal
Smaller bores

And way cooler (and actual/non-laser) engraving.

And in both the good and bad ways, "old world craftsmanship." A well-assembled instrument is as important as anything else.

My little Martin Eb is a rocket, that thing plays so darn well... I do wonder what a modern version would be like. I'm guessing less exciting in a lot of ways.
TheHatTuba

Post by TheHatTuba »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:26 am I do wonder what a modern version would be like.
How do you feel about 5 valves...
bort2.0 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:26 am I'm guessing less exciting in a lot of ways.
With a 19 mm - 20.5 mm valveset :eyes:
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Fully chromatic, obviously would be great.

And yeah, you can really slap those damn "big valves" on just about anything.
Charlie C Chowder
Has thanked: 0

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

My first job out of the Navy back in '76 was refinishing Antiques. I learned to love them. My wife and I look for them all the time. I limit myself to musical instruments, ones that I play. I just got back a tenor Bb helicon that I found over 10 years ago in real bad shape. After almost two years in the shop mostly waiting to have the valves replated, a missing tube spacer built and silvered, and a split in the bugle repaired. I have an old antique horn that is very rare and plays well. It should be a hit at TubaChristmas. Overall cost was around $1800.00. I will never get the money back, but I can't do anything with money except save or spend it. The pleasure of playing is worth more than the interest or dividends of saving. But I am retired and do not need to save like I did before retiring. For you young pup, try to save 20% of your gross income. There are a lot of people who live on only 80% or less of your income.

Some of my collection,

Tenor Bb helicon 19??
York Eb upright tuba 1917
Gold plate Buescher tenor saxophone 1923
York Eb recording bell tuba 192?
Conn tenor New Wonder tenor saxophone 192?
York BBb 6/4 26" recording bell Bat 1934
Old rose wood flute and piccolo 19??

But then I am not a pro, just a hack.
CCC

I am seriously looking at a Conn Raincatcher.
These users thanked the author Charlie C Chowder for the post:
prairieboy1 (Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:26 am)
splat
Lurker

Post by splat »

i have had a nice time with some old boosey + hawkes imperial tubas.

if you are into that sound concept and enjoy compensating with 3 valves (sometimes 4) they are often really nice players! 17 inch bells for BBbs and 15 inch bells for the EEbs.

complete with nice engravings.

(i admit fully to grass-is-greener geographic envy and wish i could be finding old york/martin/conn tubas in bandrooms rather than old booseys and bessons)
Charlie C Chowder
Has thanked: 0

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Up on further investigation of my tenor helicon. It is a Wurlitzer out of Cincinnati Ohio made around 1880. It has piston valves, silver plating.

CCC