Literature

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mary Ann

Literature

Post by Mary Ann »

Does anybody know where is some kind of list of pieces for horn, tuba, and piano? I have a willing and able horn player, could likely hire a pianist, and would like to find out what is out there that is in my "possibly we could hack through this for fun" range.

DonO.

Re: Literature

Post by DonO. »

Man, the Robert King catalog used to be Da Bomb for stuff like this! How I miss it!

That said, it looks like the most likely contender for the One Place That Carries All Brass Music seems to be Hickey’s Music Center. What you’re looking for is in the section of the web site called “brass duos with piano”. Unfortunately you have to wade through all the trumpet and trombone, etc, duets to find the horn and tuba stuff.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post (total 2):
Mary Ann (Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:27 pm) • jtm (Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:57 pm)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Didn't find much but I did find this; still there after all these years.
https://www.hickeys.com/search.php?q=Fog+Horns+Waltz
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:11 pm Does anybody know where is some kind of list of pieces for horn, tuba, and piano? I have a willing and able horn player, could likely hire a pianist, and would like to find out what is out there that is in my "possibly we could hack through this for fun" range.
If you add trombone, John Stevens’ “triangles” is a fun piece.

Barbara York’s Suite for Euphonium, Tuba, and Piano also has a version that subs Horn for Euph.

https://www.cimarronmusic.com/suite-fo ... tuba-15309
These users thanked the author djwpe for the post:
Mary Ann (Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:25 pm)
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

This is the first thing that came to my mind. Terrific piece.

The tuba player is sure a handsome devil.

Available for purchase here.

https://www.grothmusic.com/p-56537-suit ... gK1OPD_BwE
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

That was what inspired me in the first place, but I'd need to see the music to find out if I am dreaming about that one. To my surprise I am still steadily improving, due to both the brass band and the TE quartet being challenging, but still get frustrated when I come to a faster passage (sight reading) and the fingerings just don't rise out of the memory banks fast enough. Better than it was just a few months ago though. We were reading through St James Infirmary tonight and I couldn't keep up with the pitches I saw on the page. We've gotten pretty good now at the middle one in that collection, Royal Garden Blues, so I have hopes that I'll not be yelling SH!T in the middle of SJI the next time we read it.
Where can I get a look at the tuba part for the Wilder one? I expect it is costly and I'd be quite disappointed if I bought it and found it beyond me.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

djwpe wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:00 pm
Mary Ann wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:11 pm Does anybody know where is some kind of list of pieces for horn, tuba, and piano? I have a willing and able horn player, could likely hire a pianist, and would like to find out what is out there that is in my "possibly we could hack through this for fun" range.
If you add trombone, John Stevens’ “triangles” is a fun piece.

Barbara York’s Suite for Euphonium, Tuba, and Piano also has a version that subs Horn for Euph.

https://www.cimarronmusic.com/suite-fo ... tuba-15309
The middle movement of the York is quite nice and I'll see how my horn player feels about it. I think we could do it.

The Stevens is also quite nice, and I think I have a euphonium player who would be tickled to play the tbone part.

Interesting that the Wilder doesn't attract me that much. I could probably manage the middle movement.

Thank you!
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
djwpe (Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:45 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Wilder wrote a couple of those suites, but the second one is sort of a mediocre copycat of the first one.

I couldn't imagine playing both of them on the same recital, unless I wanted to look out at the patrons' faces and see a whole bunch of raised eyebrows, eyes looking upward and off to the side, and to receive particularly tepid applause after finishing the second one. :eyes:

My brother attended that recital (the linked video) and told me right afterward that he thought Suite #1 sucks. (I suspect he's one of those people that probably doesn't particularly like anything beyond Brahm's, but whatever... To my ears, we played it okay...??) I think that ending the entire Suite with the Hendrix "Foxy Lady" sharp-nine chord is sort of cool...ie. a conflicted tonic.
-----------
Art Frackenpohl wrote a multi-movement tuba/horn piece with no piano - and with an alternate part transposed for baritone horn, but all you should expect is ...well... Frackenpohl.
I suppose - for a college composer - he's better than most.
Last edited by bloke on Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

Tony Plog wrote a piece for tuba, horn, and Piano that is really nice
These users thanked the author russiantuba for the post:
bloke (Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:27 pm)
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:29 pm
The middle movement of the York is quite nice and I'll see how my horn player feels about it. I think we could do it.

The Stevens is also quite nice, and I think I have a euphonium player who would be tickled to play the tbone part.

Interesting that the Wilder doesn't attract me that much. I could probably manage the middle movement.

Thank you!
The Tango of the York is definitely my favorite, but the third movement is quite moving as well. If you can find it, the recording of Matt Brown and Jason Hamm (ironically neither of whom plays anymore) is great.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:16 pm Where can I get a look at the tuba part for the Wilder one? I expect it is costly and I'd be quite disappointed if I bought it and found it beyond me.
I'm sure you know someone in academia who can borrow it for you through interlibrary loan.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

This is surely the first recording of that first Wilder trio. These were his buddies in New York. The playing style is different.

Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I actually wrote a piece for horn/tuba/piano last year, commissioned by a friend. It's jazzish throughout. I'll see if I can track down a recording of one of the performances.
These users thanked the author Finetales for the post:
bloke (Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:21 pm)
I mostly play the slidey thing.