Lee Stofer Lidl horns

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
hrender

Lee Stofer Lidl horns

Post by hrender »

I had not noticed this before now, but Lee has the newer Lidl models that resemble some of the Cerveny models, notably the 603 and 784 BBb tubas.

https://tubameister.com/new-instruments/
These users thanked the author hrender for the post:
Lee Stofer (Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:40 pm)

DonO.

Re: Lee Stofer Lidl horns

Post by DonO. »

I’m curious about the LBB701-4. Sounds like it hits a lot of my sweet spots
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I played some of these at the US Army Conference last year and... :thumbsup:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I have not played any of them. But if I was in the market for a NEW Bb tuba, the Lindl tubas would be my first stop.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Czech rotors have always been good. They just needed to upgrade the linkage.
' thin sheet brass...??
Fine. Just don't smack it against stuff.
Fiddle players, bassoon players and such don't smack their instruments against stuff.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Ace (Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:00 am)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

tofu wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:55 pm He’s got quite a range on the Lidl’s. Are these all new designs with the exception of the 3/4 which looks like the one I once bought from him years ago. Or are some of these Cerveny copies. I’m still unclear what in the heck went down there with Lidl & Cerveny.

He states on the website that the valves are even better. That’s quite a deal if true has before he thought the valves were even better made than Miraphone and the valves on the Lidl I once owned were indeed superb.

I see he is carry their french horns as well which I think is where they have made most of their money over the years. My understanding is they are big in Europe and very popular.
Lee told me the 3/4 701 is an original Lidl design, Cerveny makes nothing like it. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the Moldau BBb is an original design also. And what a beautiful horn! But of course the 603 Piggy, 684 Bohemian, and venerable 686 designs are the
Lidl “versions” of equivalent Cerveny models. They don’t even bother trying to change the model numbers.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

The 784 looks amazing, but I would have to try before I buy.

The new cerveny tubas I tried last summer were Painfully out of tune, even older established models. Maybe Lidl is better
Yep, I'm Mark
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

I prefer rotary valves, so the Lidl 686 and 784CC, Miraphone 291 and Yamaha 861 are really the only horns I have any practical interest in. Sure... Mr.P, RM 50 and Tuono... but those will be (barring winning the lottery) forever beyond my price range.
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
bisontuba (Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:06 am)
Lee Stofer

Post by Lee Stofer »

The Josef Lidl tubas are definitely getting some attention these days. I have sold every BBb I had in stock, and am waiting for another shipment that hopefully will be here in about a week. Two instruments of this next order are already sold, a Moldau Deluxe BBb and a rose brass flugelhorn.

The Lidl LBB 701 is an instrument that really has no equivalent on the market today, which is why I'm selling more of these than any other model. The Lidl Company went bankrupt circa 2017, and was reorganized under the umbrella of Arnold Stoelzel Holding Group of Wiesbaden, Germany. The CEO is a young conservatory-trained low brass player who is committed to building only high-quality rotary-valve brass instruments.

On the long, long drive to ITEC in Tempe with Lubos Havlaty, CEO of Lidl, I asked every question that I could think of. One was, "If Josef Lidl is not
using old Cerveny tooling, how are you making instruments that look almost identical to Cerveny models?" The answer, eventually went back to the end
of WWII. Following the war, Communist occupation saw all industry being taken over by the government, or nationalized. Josef Lidl & V.F. Cerveny were taken over, and the remnant in Graslitz that had not escaped to the West were combined and named Amati, after an old Italian string maker. Amati was put in charge of all Czech instrument making, and during the communist era, I'm told that each of the three factories had the same set of tooling. This would explain why that the stencil "Sanders" tubas sold by Fred Marrich varied from time to time. In theory, they could have been made at any one of the three factories. After the fall of the Soviet Union, the Czech Republic had elections, and formed a new government that sought to make reparations and privatize industry once more. A descendent of Josef Lidl was found, and he got the ancestral factory. No descendant was found for Cerveny, and Amati was a communist invention, so Amati/Cerveny was privatized under the same leadership. So, that is how Josef Lidl became an independent maker again at the end of the 20th Century.

They were reknowned for their double french horns, which I am now stocking, and they are really nice. In the early 2000's, I sold some of their model 701 BBb tubas, and two CC tubas. I have asked about these CC's, and the Eb and F versions. The new Josef Lidl Company is very, very picky about intonation, and the CC, Eb and F versions of these apparently did not make the cut, so they are no longer in production. The kaisers are also out, as Lubos told me that, " they would have to be redesigned to really play in tune, and there is not sufficient interest in a kaiser rotor tuba to justify the immense time and expense to reproduce them as top-quality instruments. What they do build, utilizing 35 skilled craftsmen/craftswomen are quite impressive.
These users thanked the author Lee Stofer for the post (total 10):
MN_TimTuba (Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:20 pm) • Twoconnguy (Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:39 pm) • Lch3 (Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:33 am) • York-aholic (Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:17 am) • gwwilk (Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:26 am) and 5 more users
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

LBB784 Moldau Deluxe BBb at the army conference was really nice and purty too
Lee Stofer

Post by Lee Stofer »

Yes, the Moldau Deluxe LBB784 BBb is one tuba that I'm having difficulty keeping in stock. The Moldau Deluxe and the
LBB701 3/4 BB tuba are presently the two best-sellers. This may be beccause there is nothing else on the market like them.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

If you have a BBb piggy, please bring it to the DC workshop
Yep, I'm Mark
donn

Post by donn »

There seem to be a fair number of those Moldau models, if you factor all the combinations. Gold/yellow brass, with/without kranz, medium/large leadpipe, ... looks like the deluxe is a large leadpipe plus a 2nd valve trigger?

Which seems from my very poorly informed perspective like kind of an odd place to put a trigger. My BBb has a trigger, and I really need it specifically for a couple notes where the few inches it adds are either just enough, (Eb 1+4) or not really enough (C 1+2+3+4.) If it were on a valve slide, the very best it could amount to in principle is double the length of that slide, and in practice less than that - and I'd have to think of another way for it to help with that Eb. Of course I'm no pro, despite the verbiage engraved on my tuba.
Eric Murphy
Lee Stofer Music

Post by Eric Murphy »

@LeMark The BBb piggy is in the truck and will be at the conference. It's a very nice playing tuba. Of course, I may be a little biased as I thoroughly enjoy playing my Cerveny Piggy CC tuba.
Band Instrument Repair Technician - Lee Stofer Music
www.tubameister.com
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I played a piggy exclusively for 20 years, and am now giving up CC tuba to become a BBb/Eb player. A BBb piggy would be an excellent choice for me
Yep, I'm Mark
hrender

Post by hrender »

Lee Stofer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:27 pm Yes, the Moldau Deluxe LBB784 BBb is one tuba that I'm having difficulty keeping in stock. The Moldau Deluxe and the
LBB701 3/4 BB tuba are presently the two best-sellers. This may be beccause there is nothing else on the market like them.
For size, feature-set, and price, the 784 really seems to hit a sweet spot.
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

To be clear... Daniel Ridder sounds FANTASTIC on anything he plays. But the sound in this video... WOW! I really wonder how the 784 would sound in comparison? Or how the CC versions would sound in comparison?

I played a 684 at SERTEC a couple years ago... I remember being very impressed... but I wasn't interested in BBb tubas.

These users thanked the author cktuba for the post (total 2):
Inkin (Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:57 am) • prairieboy1 (Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:13 am)
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

684 BBb compared to 784 BBb... difference is pretty subtle listening online through headphones. But, again... I think this horn sounds WAY bigger than you would expect, just glancing at it's physical size.