Besson 983/984 discontinued?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Ruigekerel
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Besson 983/984 discontinued?

Post by Ruigekerel »

I am/was saving for a Besson 984, but I see Besson has removed this model from their website, the same for the 983. Does this mean they are discontinued? I know they were never as popular as the 981 of 982 models, but I still believe there is a market for professional, compensated, front-action Eb tubas.

Can someone confirm that they have stopped making these models, or does someone have more information on this topic? Maybe I have to start looking for another brand...

Sousaswag

Re: Besson 983/984 discontinued?

Post by Sousaswag »

I don’t know if they’re available NEW… but, there is a 983 that comes for sale used every now and then, I’m sure you can find one.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

If you are looking for alternatives, Eastman makes a 4-piston, side-action compensating Eb. FWIW. Never played one.
Blake
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

I JUST saw one for sale. Reverb? Or eBay?

(I don't really have a functioning memory anymore so your guess is as good as mine!...)

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

I have to go to do something real quick

But I didn't find 984 in the Besson catalog either. I always wanted to try a 984. Seeing as it was different and smaller than the 980-3 tubas.

http://www.flipbooks.buffetcrampon.com/ ... ues/besson

All Buffet-Crampon Catalogs. B&S, Meinl Weston, Besson. Other brass instruments too but no tubas the last time I checked the other brand names.

http://www.flipbooks.buffetcrampon.com/ ... catalogues

B&S still lists a healthy amount of tubas. Like the 4097/4197 CC's, 3103 taller rotary 4/4 BBb and the BBb version of the 4197, the 3301...
Last edited by PlayTheTuba on Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I think the only people who can confirm this are the people who make them... but they haven't been on their website in a while and aren't on price lists. I would look to grab a used one (preferably one of the British-made ones) when it comes available. The Eastman front action Eb is a nice horn but not as nice as the Besson. Wessex has one that is more York-like but the two I've played I didn't care for - the larger-bore 4th valve just felt wrong on both examples IMHO.

I think the market got over-saturated quickly for these kind of horns and several models weren't very good, so now there are only a couple being produced as new.
Rob. Just Rob.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dents Be Gone! for the post:
bloke (Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:23 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I think they're pretty darn good instruments for somebody that just doesn't really want to learn how to play an F tuba.

I already do the three valve thing, the five valve thing, the six valve 4+2 thing, the compensating 3+1 thing - with instruments in five lengths from B-flat to C to E-flat to F to the next B flat. (I don't really see much use - for me - for a four-valve non-compensating thing.),l

and I don't think I want to - at this point - learn the four valve compensating pinky-anchoring thing.

I'm absolutely an old stick in the mud, but I think there are two purposes for E-flat tubas. One is as a fake B-flat tuba (concert bands, brass quintets, jazz combos, polka bands, etc.), and the other one is as a 15-in bell compensating instrument to play in a British-style brass band with the bell pointing to the player's right (but I would prefer to play B-flat in such a band).

Eastman version? I've heard of them.

again: I'm a stick in the mud.
Tubeast

Post by Tubeast »

There´s a difference between willingness to market/advertise and willingness to produce.
The Willson model 6400 hasn´t been advertised in decades but Herr Kurath told me they´re still being made occasionally, per individual demand.

It MIGHT depend on BESSON accepting direct orders rather than insisting on retailer business. So if possible, You might want to just give ´em a call.

Also, Buffet Crampon is a French company. French companies, in general, have a reputation of providing horrible websites that are impossible to navigate without damage to one´s sanity.
This reputation has been deservedly earned in the past, and I don´t know how hard Buffet Crampon ist trying to destroy it.